electrophysiology

Hello there,

I am in the process of planning for rotations next year. I have to pick an elective, which is much harder than I imagined. I was wondering if anyone had any info on PAs in the cardio electrophysiology field? I have a general sense (from my own research) of what the field entails, but not specifically for PAs. Thanks for your time. :)

• 3 months later...

The cardiology practice I work in has 2 EP docs and 1 PA. (total 20 doc practice). The PA rounds on all in-house EP patients daily, sees patients in clinic, works up all new in-house consults, starts treatment. He takes care of all the pre and post procedure orders, consents. He does all the in-patient and out-patient cardioversions (w/anesthesia present). He places the vascular sheaths for the procedures. He has actually done a few EP studies himself and the plan is for him to do more of those and also implant Reveal devices and permanent pacemakers. He loves his job. He loves EP. It's not for everyone. Highly specialized.

• 2 years later...
  • 4 months later...
The cardiology practice I work in has 2 EP docs and 1 PA. (total 20 doc practice). The PA rounds on all in-house EP patients daily, sees patients in clinic, works up all new in-house consults, starts treatment. He takes care of all the pre and post procedure orders, consents. He does all the in-patient and out-patient cardioversions (w/anesthesia present). He places the vascular sheaths for the procedures. He has actually done a few EP studies himself and the plan is for him to do more of those and also implant Reveal devices and permanent pacemakers. He loves his job. He loves EP. It's not for everyone. Highly specialized.

I'd like to know how on God's green earth he gets hospital credentials to perform EP studies, permanent pacemaker implants and Reveal devices without being a board-certified cardiologist. Something doesn't sound right to me at all.

Archived