When to apply? Should I take more classes in the fall?

I am finishing up my required prerequisites next month for my main choices of schools. I want to apply broadly though as my GPA is not robotic like other candidates. The only thing I still need is to take the GRE, which I am planning to do in July. When do I apply? Do I wait until I get my GRE scores back before filling out a CASPA? Most schools from what I've read close their applications around October, is that correct?

Also, should I be taking more upper division science classes in the fall? Or just should I just work and wait until PA school starts next year (If I get in).

You can start your CASPA application now. It will save any information you submit over time. There's a lot of things you can start doing right now. Submit your classes & grades, input letters of recommendation, submit your personal statement, fill out personal information, etc... That way you application will be ready to submit as soon as you get your GRE results. I would recommend you take the GRE by May, June, or early July at the latest. Most schools' deadlines are September 1st. Submitting it just before the deadline is not a good idea, especially for schools with rolling admissions (first come first serve type of deal). You want to have your fully complete CASPA application submitted by the end of July.

edit: I guess CASPA isn't officially opened yet, but I believe it should be accessible by tomorrow.

As has been said, earlier is better.  Review the CASPA FAQ - as I understand it, you'll be able to submit and get your application into the verification process and you can add (but not modify or delete) test scores after the fact.  However, if you submit for a school that requires the GRE, it may put your application on a sidetrack with that particular school.  With close to 200 programs now, the deadlines are spread all over the calendar (as are start dates it seems!).  If the schools you are interested in attending use rolling admissions, again, earlier is better.  

As far as additional coursework, I included additional coursework as planned, even though they weren't required courses, and I did take additional coursework in the fall (I didn't take any spring classes because I couldn't have finished them before my program starts next month!).  I had multiple reasons.  I wanted to stay in a 'learning' mindset.  If I didn't get accepted during that year's cycle, I wanted to show that I was continuing to better myself as a candidate.  It would continue to increase my GPA (albeit in tiny increments!).  

Archived