I'm old, and my degree is weak

I think that I look OK as a candidate, but I am not sure about two things, looking at the stats page of various colleges. My two concerns are: I am much older than many students, and my Bachelors is a BAS in Public Administration (not exactly science related).

I am 42 years old, and I have worked as an EMT/Paramedic since 1999, and I was a volunteer from 1994 to 1999. I am a Paramedic instructor, and I also teach ACLS, PALS, and CPR.

My overall GPA is 3.84, science 3.70. GRE is 630v, 780q.

I want to retire from my current employer and apply for PA at UF and at Nova. I am just hoping that I am not too old, or that my degree is an "underwater basket weaving" degree that won't get me in.

Ummm, I wish I had your stats! IMO, your GPA and HCE are VERY competitive. You can't change your age, so it'll be the program's loss if they chose not to consider you because of it. If you have all the pre-reqs completed (and maybe 1 as "in progress") and a couple upper-level sciences, I'd assume you'll get interviews (from what I've read on this site in the past).

Can you relocate? Applying to more than just 2 programs will greatly increase your odds of acceptance.

The reason I was looking at Florida schools is that I get in state tuition at the state schools like UF, and NSU is simply convenient, because if I go there, I can stay in my current house where I have no house payment. This offsets the additional cost, as I would have to rent an apartment anywhere else.

My application is nearly ready to go for an August submission. All I need is Chem II, which I am taking in May/June, and Organic Chem to be taken in the fall. Organic chem is required for NSU, but not UF. Other than those two classes, all I am waiting on is two LORs.

Guest cabkrun

You aren't old. 40 is the new 20. :-)

your stats overall are very very good. Your undergrad degree really doesn't matter.

You should have no problems. Good luck!

Guest cabkrun
40 is the new 20...then 50 is the new 30?!?!....I'm hanging with you!!!!

LOL. Age is just a number, that's my philosophy. It's all relative. :-)

My mom is almost 80 and she still push mows her own huge midwestern lawn and shovels the driveway ..... after knee replacement and having broken her hip.

So there you go!!

• 5 months later...

Archived