Radiation oncology

• 3 months later...

Disclaimer: I never worked as a PA in Rad/Onc but....

I was a MA in Rad/Onc before PA school. How it worked was the Physicists and Docs figured out the best plan/method, the dosimetrists calculated dosing and duration and the Therapists gave the XRT/Tomo txs. The Docs followed up on the Pts occasionally but the RNs and MAs really took care of the side effects and visits unless a pt had severe rxn and needed the Doc. I have a feeling that a PA would be given the F/U duties unless the Docs allow you to target (draw on a photoshop type program the borders of the tumor) I don't see anywhere else they can use us. It may be a scut job but I'm not sure.

Sent from my S5 Active...Like you care...

Thanks for the input Joelseff!  

I was wondering if any PAs had been apart of the contouring/planning... just googling around I've seen some things that allude to the fact that this may be allowed. I guess if it's the docs scope of practice, technically the PA can do it as well if trained?  I can certainly see how it could be a scut work though with the "weekly sees" and f/ups... but may allow for some good autonomy managing the unique side effects, etc.. 

Archived