Typical Malcolm X Accepted Applicant Profile

Folks,

Was hoping some of you newly accepted applicants or current students would be willing to share a little more about the Malcolm X program.

I'm familiar with their hx. How is the school presenting that to applicants? What steps have they taken to shore up the accreditation issues?

Do you think Malcolm X will remain an associates/certificate level program? Or do you think they will transition to a bachelors program in the near future?

What does the program seem to value in applicants? I see that a number of the successful applicants this year are coming from a great distance. I had presumed that Malcolm X would favor inner city, Chicago applicants. Is that incorrect? Does the adcom emphasize a commitment to practicing in Chicago? Illinois?

As an associates program how many of the applicants have a BA/BS anyway? How does the program seem to weigh education? GPA? Experience?

I'll give you my profile to give you an idea of what context the questions are couched in.

I'd like to apply next year with all the prereq's from their website completed. 4.0 GPA (presumed for the last 16 hours). Overall GPA will shake out around 3.7 after CASPA (including all those 25 year old F's that some of us PA applicants keep in our closets!)

No degree, though I could apply the prereqs to a Associates of Paramedicine at the local community college.

I'll have 35,000 hrs of HCE as a paramedic. Both in ER's and with a relatively busy suburban 911 system.

I'm a middle aged white male.

Any thoughts on the program and how my profile might or might not fit would be welcomed.

Thanks much in advance!

:wink:

From their website:

"Please do not call or visit the program with questions. You may email our admissions counselor XXXXXXXXX@ccc.edu with questions not clarified by this website or CASPA Web pages."

Tried them by email in the past unsuccessfully. Just thought with all the recent posts by new candidates their would be some forum insight out there.

Chris

With your HCE hours and current GPA. You should get your degree through online, Trident University has a excellent program IMO. I got my BSHS from them and applied to schools after that, and I will be damned I got interviews and acceptances. I chose the 3x2 program due to the following 1. Not being in a classroom setting for nearly 20 years, need that time to learn how to be civilianized again (and time to get rid of my arrogance). 2. It was the closest program to my home. So If I was you I would get your Bachelors or if you do not want to wait, start applying to 5 yr and 3x2 programs. Having a Master's is the route I believe you should go. Good Luck

• 4 months later...

Hi All,

I recently submitted my CASPA to Malcolm X and have the following stats:

Undergraduate GPA: 3.2

Pre-Requisite GPA: 3.7

Masters GPA: 3.8

Currently in an MPH program

2,000 hours of patient care

100 hours of shadowing

200 hours of volunteer

Varied leadership and extracurricular experience

85th % in both GRE with a 5 writing score

Would love any thoughts on competitiveness of my profile.

Hi,

I'm currently a student and all my classmates have a bachelor's degree about a quarter have a master's degree. Although the program grants the PA certificate and an associate's degree, it is not taught at that level. In order for anyone to pass the PANCE exam, we have to be taught at a masters level. the program is far from an associates or bachelors level. mXC is offering a Masters Degree to all of us through Saint Francis University, all our classes would directly transfer once we complete the program. Those interested apply, take one or two more classes and we get our masters degree. The PANCE exam is at a masters level, so all programs out there have to prepare it's students appropriately, if were taught at that level we would fail miserably and there PANCE first time passing rate went up considerably. Sorry can't answer all your questions, but I think your a good candidate. The only issue is although MXC does not require a bachelors, no one accepted last year or this year had anything less than a bachelors. And the PA' that I know who graduated from the program had a bachelor's. Hope this info helps!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I applied to Malcolm X late July via CASPA. I have heard from ALL the other schools I have applied with except Malcolm X. I have not even heard back from them saying whether or not they received my application! I am not sure what should I do? Should I call/email them? Has anyone applying for this cycle (2012-2014) heard from the school yet?

Thanks

Hi All,

Just to piggyback off of Erpahope,

Although not stated in their program requirements, I would believe that admissions favor students with a bachelor's degree. All of the Stroger/ MXC students incoming class of 2013 have a bachelor's degree, with competitive GPAs of at least 3.0. Many are former medical assistants, EMTs, and CNAs.. quite a few students have a master's degree.

** In addition, the PA program has a joint master's degree option, in which students (with a bachelor's degree) are allowed to take classes at St. Frances University.

Here are my application stats:

Undergraduate GPA: 3.1- (Univ of IL @ Urbana)

Graduate GPA: 3.7- ( UIC School of Public Health)

** 3++ years of health care experience- which included hospital shadowing, patient care, teaching, working for CDPH

PreReq GPA: don't remember, but I know it was above a 2.8

and as far as accreditation status: I'm not sure if we are to discuss this information so openly, but I will let you know that the school is doing everything within their power to make positive improvements and accommodate its students. We have seen dramatic changes while being in the program, all of them positive of course. This has give us motivation and hope for the upcoming semesters. One thing's for sure, the next incoming class will be lucky! :-)

Bastein, you sound like an excellent candidate for the next incoming class! Good Luck! :-)

And as far as hearing back from admissions regarding your application status: be prepared to NOT hear back from them until about March/ April of next year. They usually contact you after the application cycle cloeses... at least from my experience. You will be notified before interviews begin, however.

Hope this information helps! Best of Luck everyone!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 3 months later...

Hey everyone I just submitted my CASPA today....

(not scored yet but I did the math)

3.67 science gpa

3.71 overall gpa

3.84 major gpa

B.S. in Athletic Training

Over 2,500 hours as an ATC and athletic training student

Observed doctors for about 20-30 hours (even a few surgeries)

Tons of community service done in college

Pre reqs will be done this fall

GRE doesn't matter here but I had a 292 and 290 ( I am retaking it)

I live in the city, in fact I'm taking the rest of my pre reqs at Truman college on the northside

Do I have a solid chance at all?

Archived