2011-2012 Application Cycle for class of 2014

For those of you who have submitted or are working on supplemental applications for Touro-CA, I have a question... The instructions for the personal questions (i.e. How do you see yourself using a Masters in Public Health upon graduation?) says to keep your answers for EACH QUESTION to a maximum of 500 words. I just finished answering all 3 questions, and my total word count for all 3 questions is about 600 words. Do I need to expand more on my thoughts? Or is it better to be short, clear, and concise?

Jordan,

I was wondering the same thing actually. My answers (to those three personal questions) were about the same number of words, around 600 total. At first, I was thinking maybe my responses were too short as well. But with over hundreds of applications the Admissions committee receives, I highly doubt any one of them would want to read 500 words for each question, though I could be wrong. I think short, clear, and concise should be fine. Anyone else want to share their feedback on the issue?

-Mike

• Replies 226
  • Created
  • Last Reply
For those of you who have submitted or are working on supplemental applications for Touro-CA, I have a question... The instructions for the personal questions (i.e. How do you see yourself using a Masters in Public Health upon graduation?) says to keep your answers for EACH QUESTION to a maximum of 500 words. I just finished answering all 3 questions, and my total word count for all 3 questions is about 600 words. Do I need to expand more on my thoughts? Or is it better to be short, clear, and concise?

Jordan,

I was wondering the same thing actually. My answers (to those three personal questions) were about the same number of words, around 600 total. At first, I was thinking maybe my responses were too short as well. But with over hundreds of applications the Admissions committee receives, I highly doubt any one of them would want to read 500 words for each question, though I could be wrong. I think short, clear, and concise should be fine. Anyone else want to share their feedback on the issue?

-Mike

Hey guys!

I am a current student at Touro and I recommend your answers to be short, clear, and concise. Just remember the committee is reading hundreds of supplementals so you want to get your point across in a clear way. It also helps if you follow the directions so that they see that you can adjust what you really want to say (ie., more than 500 words) to just the limit. Get it? Good luck to all!

P.S. It feels like deja vu, I was on here just a year ago submitting my apps for PA school. Feels weird to be on the other side :)

Ah! I am soo excited!! I just got an invite for an interview!!! Anyone have any tips? How do we know what the available days are?

Congrats on getting an interview! That is such a big accomplishment in itself! I am a first year PA student at Touro!

Some words of advice: Touro is really about getting to know you as a person so make sure you tell them about YOU. Everyone who applied already has the grades and the stats so its just a matter of selling yourself to the school. Make sure you know Touro's mission statement and what their school is all about. Do your research. Touro's faculty and staff are so welcoming and know that you are nervous so they try to make it easy on you.

Good luck! :)

I know that Touro does not invite everyone to submit a supplemental application. Do you all know approximately what percentage of applicants are invited to submit a supplemental? Just curious.

It is true that they don't invite everyone for a supplemental application. During my cycle (I am a first year PA student here), there was 1400 applicants, 250 invited for interviews, for only 45 spots.

Thank you so much, lisizeng, for the advice on interviews. This was very useful. Can you (or any one else who has been through this process and willing to share) provide any additional information on interviews? Mine is coming up soon. Are there group interviews, are there private interviews, or both? Will they ask us questions on subjects such as: what are your strengths, or, how has your experience prepared you for success at our school, and such as that?

Had interview on October 25th and I was thoroughly impressed with the whole institution. Everyone was so friendly and I felt they really took the time to try to get to know the applicants. Good luck to everyone, and congratulations to all those that have received an interview.

Hey everyone,

Would anyone interviewing on Nov 29 be interested in splitting a room? We can get a general sense of each other before committing, obviously. With flight fare and everything else, I'm just trying to be as cost effective as possible. :-)

Also, any other info on interview sessions would be much appreciated. Will they try to throw curve ball questions like "what is your favorite kind of tree"? How much of the day is spent on interviewing? Any recommendations for weather appropriate attire?

Thanks!!

CASPA sent my application Oct 5. I have not received word from Touro yet. Should I call them or should I just wait? I'm freaking out now.

If CASPA sent it then they have it for sure. They have to go through all of them so it will take some time before you hear from them. It took them almost a month for me to hear back about sending in a supplemental application.

Be prepared to be there till at least 2:30pm. The best advice I could give you about the interview is to try to relax and be yourself.

Some things to consider is to try to plan your flight around the shuttle service from the Marriott Hotel, that way you don't have to wait to long for the next shuttle service, because getting a taxi to the hotel can be pricey. Consider doing the same thing for your flight back. Make sure you allow yourself enough time after your interview to get ready and arrive at the airport on time for your flight. The weather was great, but make sure to check the forecast before you arrive, because it might be different. Remember to dress formal, business attire. I hope this helps. ;)

Good luck,

Thank you so much, lisizeng, for the advice on interviews. This was very useful. Can you (or any one else who has been through this process and willing to share) provide any additional information on interviews? Mine is coming up soon. Are there group interviews, are there private interviews, or both? Will they ask us questions on subjects such as: what are your strengths, or, how has your experience prepared you for success at our school, and such as that?

Hey Sally!

Yes, there are group interviews (2) and 1 private interview.

For my experience, I do remember them asking me about my strengths and/or weaknesses but every interviewer is different. Just always remember to relax. Touro really just wants to get to know you so they can see if you fit their school. They know you are nervous so sometimes you might say things that you didn't mean to say or didn't get to say and they will help you out and probe you. I have to say that Touro was one of the best interview experiences I had.

Our 2014 class may be able to join you guys in the morning prior to your start time on Tuesdays (I believe interviews are only held on Tuesdays) so if you guys recognize my name just say hi, I'll be glad to answer any questions. We will be in scrubs that day so don't mind our formaldehyde-smelling scrubs :)

Archived