Negotiations Help

I've been a PA for 6 yrs, been at my current job for almost 2 years and just got a new contract. It's a multi specialty group, but I do Family Medicine. I work in semi-rural area as the sole provider in my office. When I was hired there was a MD who was there who handled the office, after hours call, etc but now I do all that. My contract I just got is no different than when I first started there except they added a No compete clause. I'm told I'm doing a great job on multiple occasions, but my contract had no raise. I'm going to negotiate it, I'm making $48/hour now. Any recommendations on what to counter. I feel I'm being taken advantage of. I've also had to change my 4 days a week to 5 days due to the only one there and they have no plans of hiring a Doc anytime soon.

Thanks.

Tell them to throw out that non-compete clause and ask for $60/hr (aim high so when they counter offer it's not as low).

Reasons:

1. You took on more responsibilities - office management and after hour calls.
  2. Additional working days (more hours = more money).
  3. You're the sole provider.

Also be ready to present salary averages based on experience and specialty provided by AAPA salary report. They have no plans on hiring a doc anytime soon? More reasons for them to pay you more so you stay which is still cheaper than hiring a doc.

***I'm not a PA-S or a PA-C*** so take my suggestions with a grain of salt.

• Administrator

My contract I just got is no different than when I first started there except they added a No compete clause.

Failure on your part.  Never give anything without getting.  Doesn't have to be a lot, but the idea is that you get something you want when they get something they want. Always.

Failure on your part.  Never give anything without getting.  Doesn't have to be a lot, but the idea is that you get something you want when they get something they want. Always.

Everytime there is something more put on your plate is an opportunity to ask for more money.

Employees in business take advantage of this all the time.

If you dont, a pattern develops that is hard to break, you will always be asked to do more until you break.

BTW, when they try to make the case that this is about taking care of patients and try the guilt maneuver, you will have a clear insight into whom you are working for.

Good luck.

G Brothers PA-C

Thank you for the suggestions. I know I dropped the ball in the beginning. I was new there when the MD left, so I didn't ask for more $ then. We had a MD come in after the first one, but left after 9 months leaving a large debt (he only seen about 10 pts/day), and so now my office is in the negative, which I've expressed is not my fault, I suggested they'd get rid of him after his first week, of course they didn't. That is why they're reluctant to give a raise since the office is negative. I see about 20-25 pts/day, and they are now lightly suggesting double booking. I'm not about quantity, it's more quality. Some of our MDs are seeing a pt every 7 minutes, and to me that's not good quality of care.

Archived