What kind of procedures can you do as a FM PA?

I did just about everything in FM. Any common lesion removal, skin biopsy, most all Gyn procedures, microscopy, laceration repair simple and complex, fracture and dislocation reduction simple in office (more complex in ED ), sigmoidoscopy back in the day, newborn circs, trained in vasectomy but haven't done one in ten years ).

Is it just me or are family practices doing fewer and fewer procedures over the last 5-10 yrs?   I see all kinds of sh*t referred to the ED from FM clinics that can EASILY be done in the office. To echo what others here have stated, we used to do everything rev ronin and EMEDPA noted (including 3-4 vasectomies/week) when I was in the Navy (FM clinics at Rota, Spain & NAS Patuxent River). It's a buttload of RVUs and I don't understand why FM offices are sending so much out - not to mention subjecting THEIR OWN patients to what I consider an unnecessary ED visit and procedure charge.

Is it just me or are family practices doing fewer and fewer procedures over the last 5-10 yrs?   I see all kinds of sh*t referred to the ED from FM clinics that can EASILY be done in the office. To echo what others here have stated, we used to do everything rev ronin and EMEDPA noted (including 3-4 vasectomies/week) when I was in the Navy (FM clinics at Rota, Spain & NAS Patuxent River). It's a buttload of RVUs and I don't understand why FM offices are sending so much out - not to mention subjecting THEIR OWN patients to what I consider an unnecessary ED visit and procedure charge.

not enough time for procedures anymore. they have to move the meat. also more liability for procedures done only infrequently.

Archived