please share some happy thoughts? please?

In retrospect I wish I'd never read most of this forum as I prepare for my program which starts in 2 months. I am fortunate I suppose that I'm well informed of the drawbacks and challenges of the career but I also have severe anxiety about the whole situation beyond just the anxiety of starting the program. Anybody want to share about a positive life as a PA, happiness, fulfillment? Is this truly the exception and not the norm? Help me dry up my tears? ;)

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

@MainerRD12- I too am about to start PA school in 2 months and have read all of the negativity on here. FWIW, I am taking all of it with a grain of salt, considering that the PAs that I shadowed before I applied to school all enjoyed their careers and had positive things to say. I figure on a forum like this, you have more people that are likely to complain, rather than say positive things. Kind of like how a person is more likely to leave a negative product review about something they didn't like, rather than a positive review about something that they did like. ???? Good luck starting your program this year!

I am at a job I am loving so far with a great schedule, great pay, and less autonomy (which I, for now, see as a good thing) and I just had 4 days straight off... Oh and to top it off, I'm going to Hawaii with my wife n kids next week after just returning from a medical mission for 3.5 weeks in a tropical island.... Life's good right now!

Enjoy your break! PA school will suck your free time away but there is a light at the end.

I hear ya about the tone of the site (heck I'm guilty of throwing some gloom n doom on here). I worked my butt off for the past 7 years now I'm getting a lil' payback. U just gotta reconcile what you really want out of the career. I traded a job with a lot of responsibility and autonomy that paid poorly and took a lot of my time for pretty much less autonomy (seeing overflow/bread and butter cases) for much more pay and time. I'm happy at the moment. I also realize that this is just a job. When all is said and done, my life is so much more than medicine or any one job.

Sent from my S5 Active...Like you care...

I hope your perception of life as a PA is not based entirely on what you've read here. Remember that the PA profession is like any other - there are positives and negatives to all professions and you get to choose how you live with them.

Your career can be what you make of it. I wouldn't have my life any other way right now. Good luck

I know that I just posted some pessimistic things about the future of the PA profession.  However, you have to put this in context of the whole picture.  I’m sitting here right now in a large plush office literally on the beach, overlooking sailboats, with snow clad mountains around me. I often kayak at lunch. I’m in a practice that I own. I have five staff including one physician.  We have been quite successful.  When I was entering PA school, I would have listed this as a far-fetched dream that was beyond reach. I would never, ever imagine that this could come true.

My point is, the road to this place is hard with many twist and turns.  So dream big and see it through but please dry your tears . . . there is no need for that. The future of the profession is in the hands of those entering PA school now. Make it what you want it to be.

I gripe a lot but am happy at the place I ended up. the road to get here was pretty bumpy and I wouldn't repeat it or recommend it to anyone if I had seen it coming.

I'm sitting in a rural ER right now with my PA student taking a hx on the 1 pt in the dept. I am making very good money for high acuity/low volume coverage. perfect.

I am here for 24 hours and will probably only see 10 pts or so, most of whom will actually be sick and need my care. I will make all the decisions and do all the procedures. there is no doctor here. if there are paramedic calls I will direct the medics in the field, etc.

This is my dream job, unfortunately that dream only happens 2-3 days/mo right now. someday I hope to be here full time when the 1 full time guy who has been here 20+ years retires in a few years.. I have another rural job almost as good.

my full time trauma ctr job is tolerable (barely), but I would walk away from it in 5 min for a job offer here.

I volunteer on state, federal, and international disaster medical teams. that is a blast. I am finishing up a doctorate in health science and global health, which will present me(and already has presented me) with many more options for the future to include teaching, federal service, international work, etc.

once done with my doctorate I will take some time to make plans for the future.

Thanks for this thread...it is needed...especially with so many young PAs/PA-S. 

We (the "new" generation of PAs) just have to take ownership of the profession when our times come and be the difference we want to see.  This means inform people of what our profession is (sounds simple but a lot of folks don't know what a PA truly is), be loud, be proud, take your schooling serious, take you job serious, and get involved locally and nationally.   

We can do this folks!

agree with above Jambra0- one of the biggest hurdles for us is still name recognition. I just spent a week on vacation and had occasion to speak with a lot of random strangers on trains, at cafes, at bed & breakfasts, etc etc and not one of them knew what a pa was. One guy(an archaeology professor) thought a pa was some kind of emt.  they all knew what NPs were though. we need a major PR campaign. I have been saying this for 20 years...

The class of 2017 at my school has a facebook page and I am going to ask all my classmates to use a standardized definition of what a PA is right before school starts...to help spread the word about our profession.  I would advise anyone else who is a PA or has gotten into PA school to do the same thing.  Because as EMEDPA said name recognition is a hugeeeee barrier we face.  Lets do something about it!

I never post anything on here, but I had a particularly happy day and it seems appropriate. I've been working for one year in EM.. it was my first job after graduating. Recently my group lost our contract to a large national company. I received my offer to stay today and was given an 18k raise plus 4 weeks paid vacation. I was already being paid well prior to this and I find my work to be very interesting and rewarding. Personally, I think the future is bright!

I agree with the name....i think we all cringe a bit when we say it and especially when referred to as physician's assistant. Ouch. Just ouch. When I say I'm going to do a PA program it is so awkward because the deer in the headlights look....they don't ask but you know they have no freaking clue what you are talking about and assume it is to prep me for a job as a medical assistant. I hate to say it but sometimes the quick and dirty explanation is 'you know NPs? It's kinda like that.' Don't hate you know you've done it! ;)

I think there's a lot more negativity associated with medicine, just in general - for doctors, nurses, pharmacists, etc. I think part of the problem is that medicine has become closely tied to business and corporations, wherein people are no longer "patients" seeking treatment and some help - instead they are considered "consumers" seeking services and products. 

In the short term, I figure PA school is 100X better than what I'm doing now as an EMT. No more lifting 300+ lbs people for me!!! Or, if I do, there will be more people to help at least...

In the long term, I'm excited about a mentally stimulating career where I can feel good about what I'm doing and work alongside some of the best people ever. I have 3 PAs in my family already and they all seem really happy and enthusiastic whenever someone asks about their job. When I've asked other PAs if they like their job, they've all said something along the lines of "Yeah, I love it!!!!" instead of something like "Oh..... it's okay, I guess". 

I can't wait to get started!!! I wish my program started sooner... 

And thanks for the happy responses! The fact that I love medicine, want to help people daily, and honestly do not care what I am paid (as long as I can pay my bills....i would do it gladly for my previous RD salary of 50k per year if I feel fulfilled and not extremely overworked) should serve me well. I will do everything I can to represent!

I've been getting pretty sick of all the negativity on this forum, so thanks for this thread. Every PA that I personally know has nothing but positive things to say about their profession. None of them worry about autonomy or trying to be recognized as the big dog around the hospital. They understand their role, their love for medicine & helping others, and their expected salary. Of course there are negative things about being a PA, but the same goes with every profession out there. It's a job.

Yes I understand it's frustrating when you're a veteran PA working with a fresh MD/DO who is no where near as competent as you are. Suck it up or look for a job elsewhere. They have the upper hand and that's just a fact. You're not a doctor, get over it. Doctors will always be looked at as a better medical provider than a PA or NP in our society and that's never going to change.

Archived