2011-2012 Application Cycle

• 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Has anyone that is interviewing next week completed the online admission course? How long does it take to complete? I haven't done it yet, but was planning on doing it Monday morning before my interview?

**Never mind....It is less of a course and more of a list FAQ and info about the program

**Never mind....It is less of a course and more of a list FAQ and info about the program

So what is this "online admission course." I cannot find it on the website. Is this something we are supposed to do before the interview? Essays and questions for us, or just FAQ and info for our own benefit? Thanks for any info.

Sally: There were links in the email Anne Smalley sent you when you received and interview invite. You have to log in and set up a password, then Mrs. Smalley will add you to list to get access. All the info about it is in the email that I got when I received an interview invite.

Sally: There were links in the email Anne Smalley sent you when you received and interview invite. You have to log in and set up a password, then Mrs. Smalley will add you to list to get access. All the info about it is in the email that I got when I received an interview invite.

Thank you very much, Danita.

Interviewed last Thursday. I don't want to say I think it went well because I thought that about my last interview at Midwestern and was alternate listed but I really hope to get into ISU. The interviewers were really nice and I was particularly impressed with what the current students had to say about the program and especially the educators. It seems like a tight knit group. According to Ann Smalley after interviewing most status' will probably say "in review" for a while, and we may not know anything more than that until February. FINGERS CROSSED!

• 4 weeks later...

I chose the Meridian campus to interview at, though I later declined to attend as I'd been accepted elsewhere. Here's why: Meridian is right next to Boise, the state's capitol, with all the opportunities that implies. You can see the school building itself from I-84. (At least, I assume the PA program is located in the ISU building. Where else could it be? I think there is a high school or other educational class under the same roof.) The population of Idaho is centered around Boise (the biggest city) and the surrounding area, so you'd be right in the middle of the goings-on. Meridian also has St. Luke's and St. Al's is in Boise, with numerous clinics and smaller hospitals in the nearby cities (Eagle, Nampa, Caldwell).

I've been to Pocatello several times and while there is nothing wrong with the city, it has the disadvantage of being located in the far east side of the state. It's also smaller in population. I think I would have felt a bit isolated as I grew up just south of Boise. Maybe an advantage of Pocatello is that it is the location of ISU's main campus, if that's something you care about. ISU isn't very big. In fact, if I said I went to school in Idaho people would likely ask, "Oh, UI or BSU?" without even thinking to mention ISU. That said, mostly everything I've heard about it is positive. I have no idea what the clinical setting is like, having never needed a clinician while there.

Hope this helps a bit. Good luck with your interview!!

I'm actually from Michigan too and I interviewed at the Meridian campus at the end of November. The interview is only about an hour and majority of the questions I was asked were ethically based. They also asked where else I applied and my status for those schools and typical questions like what will you do if you don't get it and what can you bring to the program. If you've interviewed anywhere else this is a very different feel, well it was for me at least. One of the 3 interviews is a video conference with an interviewer from the Pocatello campus and the interviews last about 15 minutes each. Overall, it was very relaxed and the interviewers were nice and friendly. There were also many students there that were more than willing to answer questions on the program and the different campuses. The campus is connected to a High school and a few other health programs are in the building, such as pharmacy and nursing. I hope I answered some of your questions and best of luck with your interview!

I have a question about the biochemistry prerequisite to other applicants: Did the biochemistry class that you took, as a prerequisite for ISU, itself have as a prerequisite 2 semesters of organic chemistry plus labs, molecular biology, and quantitative analysis? And even these classes are "impacted," that is, there are more students trying to take them than there are seats. The chances of getting into a class are low unless you are an upper class chemistry or biology major.

I see a couple of biochemistry classes that do not have all these prerequisites and have in the past been offered at colleges near me, but with the cutbacks in public education, none are being offered anymore. At all. I'm just curious--have all you applicants taken a year of organic chemistry? A semester of molecular biology or quantitative analysis? Thanks for the info.

My biochem class did have pre-reqs but I don't recall what they were, exactly. One of my degrees is in microbiology, so yes, I have taken O Chem I and II with labs, quant (with a lab which was literally the worst class EVER!) and several mmbb classes (which I loved!!). I don't think I had to take the biochem lab, though, due to my major being a science one.

• 2 weeks later...

So I am surprised that there are relatively few postings to this thread, and I don't see any from people who were offered early seats right after interviews. Was anyone accepted right after the interview? Has anyone who was not offered an early seat heard back from ISU, either accepted, rejected, or wait listed? I interviewed already, but haven't been given an answer yet. Perhaps I won't until they are finished interviewing all the applicants.

Hi Sally

I interviewed the second week of November and received an offer of acceptance a week later. If you're curious about what's going on with your application, I'd recommend emailing Ann Smalley. I met her after my interview and she stressed that she wants applicants to email her if they have any questions/concerns. She also said that most applicants end up having to wait until all interviews are complete to find out whether they're accepted so don't worry if you haven't heard anything yet :) Hope this helps!

Just some more information for those interested. I interviewed last week and according to Ann about 90 people have interviewed out of 140 total. I asked her how many student interviewed were offered a seat? Ann told me that 16 were offered and accepted at that there are 2 more that haven't been accepted yet. So the majority of applicants wont be immediately accepted. So lets keep it positive! Im currently in review as well.

Hey everyone, I have accepted a seat offer for the Meridian campus. My wife and I will be moving to Boise/Meridian/Nampa when we discharge out of the Army next month. She is moving into the Reserves and I am getting completely out. She is going to attend BSU's Pre-Dental program full time while in the Reserves. I look forward to meeting my future classmates. Adios ahora.

-Joe

Archived