2011-2012 Application Cycle

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 4 weeks later...
I heard back from ISU, but I still need to take the GRE (which I am on Tues.) Are you guys from Idaho? I'm excited for the interview process to start, too!!

I am from Arizona, but have family in Idaho! When you say you heard back, did you mean you got an interview? If so when!? Good luck!

Hey all. I received an email from Ann Smalley yesterday. She said my application has been put "on hold". She said they are calculating a score for each applicant based on their Science GPA and GRE scores. Those applicants with a score of 4.7 or higher will be called for an interview. If they need to conduct more interviews, they will call people with a score of less than 4.7. She said they expect to interview 130-140 candidates this year.

So seems like the process is underway! Good Luck to you all!

Hey all. I received an email from Ann Smalley yesterday. She said my application has been put "on hold". She said they are calculating a score for each applicant based on their Science GPA and GRE scores. Those applicants with a score of 4.7 or higher will be called for an interview. If they need to conduct more interviews, they will call people with a score of less than 4.7. She said they expect to interview 130-140 candidates this year.

So seems like the process is underway! Good Luck to you all!

That is really great info, thank you for sharing! Good luck, hopefully you will get an interview!

Wonder if they sent out more than one email thursday, anyone else hear from them about being held or getting interview?

She said they are calculating a score for each applicant based on their Science GPA and GRE scores. Those applicants with a score of 4.7 or higher will be called for an interview.

Just for clarification, this is how they calculate a file score:

Due to the large number of applications and the need to effectively use time and faculty resources, the program uses the file score to determine whether or not to send an application for review to determine whether or not to call the applicant for an interview.

Prerequisite GPA + (Quantitative GRE Percentile/100) + (Verbal GRE Percentile/100)

Effective August 1, 2011, ETS is launching a revised GRE. This revision includes changing the scoring scale for the Verbal and Quantitative sections of the exam. Due to this change, the program will begin using the Verbal and Quantitative percentiles in the calculation of file score and applicant rank.

A review of available data indicates the use of percentiles in the file score calculation should have a minimal effect on file score calculations. For the class entering Fall 2011, applications with a file score of 4.790 and higher were reviewed. The level of the minimum file score for which a file will be reviewed will be evaluated each admissions cycle.

She said they are calculating a score for each applicant based on their Science GPA and GRE scores. Those applicants with a score of 4.7 or higher will be called for an interview.

Just for clarification, this is how they calculate a file score:

Due to the large number of applications and the need to effectively use time and faculty resources, the program uses the file score to determine whether or not to send an application for review to determine whether or not to call the applicant for an interview.

Prerequisite GPA + (Quantitative GRE Percentile/100) + (Verbal GRE Percentile/100)

Effective August 1, 2011, ETS is launching a revised GRE. This revision includes changing the scoring scale for the Verbal and Quantitative sections of the exam. Due to this change, the program will begin using the Verbal and Quantitative percentiles in the calculation of file score and applicant rank.

A review of available data indicates the use of percentiles in the file score calculation should have a minimal effect on file score calculations. For the class entering Fall 2011, applications with a file score of 4.790 and higher were reviewed. The level of the minimum file score for which a file will be reviewed will be evaluated each admissions cycle.

• 2 months later...

Just wondering if anyone has gotten an interview invite or knows when ISU typically sends them out. As September is coming to an end I my nerves are unsettled to say the least. Had one interview at another school already and was placed on the "alternate list" i.e. rejected. >: ( I lack HCE

Just wondering if anyone has gotten an interview invite or knows when ISU typically sends them out. As September is coming to an end I my nerves are unsettled to say the least. Had one interview at another school already and was placed on the "alternate list" i.e. rejected. >: ( I lack HCE

From what I understand, they start sending invites after Nov 1st for interviews beginning the second week of November. So it seems like we have a bit more time to wait. :(

la.lewis.... if you have interviews at medex AND isu, you can rest assured that you are a good overall candidate. medex cares a ton about hce, and isu cares a ton about grades and involvement in extracuriculars. you must have some appeal across the spectrum. good luck.

What a lovely thing to say. Thank you. :)

Everyone who received interview invites today...what is your file score? Are they still interviewing people with a file score of 4.7 or higher?

If I calculated correctly, my file score is 5.33.

I have no idea how they're choosing their applicants so I can't answer the second question. ISU's website says "4.790 or higher." I would imagine they still have quite a few files to go through. I hope you hear soon!

my understanding is that they dont automatically interview you if your file score is >4.7... they will send it to 2 factulty members to REVIEW it to see if they want to extend an interview.

Yep! Here is the explanation from the website:

V. If the file score is equal to or greater than the minimum required for review, the application is reviewed by two members of the Admissions Committee to determine whether or not to call the applicant for an interview.
  • If the reviewers determine the applicant should be called for an interview, an email is sent to the applicant inviting the applicant to interview with the program. Interviews begin the first or second week of November and continue through the end of February.
  • If the reviewers determine the applicant should not be called, a rejection letter is mailed to the applicant.
  • If the reviewers do not agree about calling an applicant, a "tie-break" is conducted by a third reviewer. If the third reviewer determines the applicant should be interviewed, an email is sent to the applicant inviting the applicant to interview with the program. If a determination not to call the applicant is made by the third reviewer, a rejection letter is mailed to the applicant.

Just received an email for an interview but haven't had a call to set up a date yet. I was wondering if you guys have set up your account on the Moodle ISU system. The instructions say to click on the "Admissions to PAS class of 2014" link but I can't seem to locate it. Good luck all, I hope to interview in Pocatello in one of the earlier slots available.

Archived