Need your advice on this tentative job offer?

I have been looking for a job for five months in this very saturated PA/ NP city and it has been hard to just get an interview. I have one yr experience working as a PA-C (specialities FP and Pain). Got a tentative offer for a job in a small FP clinic. Hiring Doc would like me to volunteer for his clinic for 3 weeks to see if the position is a good fit for me before he is willing to let know if I am hired or not. He is willing to train and he states he loves teaching. He cautioned me that he likes to give some directions on FP problems but he doesn’t want to hold my hands for guidance most of the time.

Should I take this job?

Benefits:

$65,000

Its FP which is what I like.

Involves traveling to nursing homes. He is willing to train.

The bad part of the deal

$65,000 NO CME MONEY

He pays for 1/2 of my health insurance

I rotate on taking calls, q 3rd day w/o bonus pay for taking calls

Its located in the roughest, dangerous part of town w/o security.

It involves traveling to nursing homes.

Maybe I am reading this wrong, but I gleen from your post that you do not really want this position. If traveling to nursing homes is an integral part of the job and you have it listed as a negative.......you already have your answer. Also, this is a pretty lean package. Good luck!

Lousy pay, terrible benefits, unpaid call, bad location and traveling to nursing homes. I think it's time to consider a location change.

I second that. I made 88k last year in a primary care position in NC with similar experience. We can always use another PA in the state.....

. Hiring Doc would like me to volunteer for his clinic for 3 weeks to see if the position is a good fit for me before he is willing to let know if I am hired or not.

He hasn't even given you a firm job offer yet and he is asking you to work for free and volunteer for 3 weeks?

65K and no call compensation?

What about this job sounds remotely satisfying on a professional level?

Be forewarned..these type of docs only get worse once they are your employer. PASS on this!

I third that, but it does sound like he's taking advantage of the fact that the area is saturated, so he can find cheap labor. I don't think he needs you to volunteer since you have already done FP. It's not like you erased your mind when you left. You knew this wasn't a good offer, that's why you put up the thread. If it had been good you would have accepted right away. Truthfully you're going to be making less than a Registered Nurse with a lot more liability. Sorry I can't give the green light on this one, on top of being a lousy deal, you're putting your safety at risk.

crud offer

no CME clearly states that he is completely un interested in your education

traveling to NH should be paid travel (I can't stand doc's that think and employee should pay for travel on personal car.....)

Personal safety is an issue that no amount of money can overcome

unless you need (must take) the job look somewhere else.... you are worth a LOT more then that..... check out the the AAPA salary data for evidence of this or advance for pa/np site

just say no - taking a bad offer makes it harder for all of us to get the pay we deserve and work hard for

Here is some numbers for you to think about what he is earning off you even as a new grad (this does not take into consideration ANY of the quality of life increase he gets from having you cover 1:3 call)

11 patients a day brings in over $120k for him (this is 200% of the offer and more then covers his costs

5 day work week, 44 weeks per year (year gotta have some time off!)

Then if you see 20 patients a day (reasonable #) then make $220k per year - you are making him some 150k per year on your labors!!! and not even earning a fair wage..... just say no to such a crappy offer........ show him the AAPA data - pick the average starting number for your area and a reasonable benefits package and that is your counter. If everyone in you area does this then the lowest pay they will be able to pay

Can you imagine them offering a doc such a crappy number????

Wisconsin...the dells, lake geneva,....horiiiiibbbblllleee cold, , wet, full of labor unions (public) with very poor manners,

you need a new zip code...GA pays 50% more than that for a new grad in almost any pos... find a warmer clime with friendlier attitude toward your field...most of the south.

Thank you all for your advice. According to the hiring doc, there are 10 NP who submitted their resumes for this position. I will take your advice and decline this job. I will try my hardest to find a job that will at least pay for my malpractice insurance.

If you know of any job openings near the Milwaukee, WI area please let me know. Thank you.

Thank you all for your advice. According to the hiring doc, there are 10 NP who submitted their resumes for this position. I will take your advice and decline this job. I will try my hardest to find a job that will at least pay for my malpractice insurance.

If you know of any job openings near the Milwaukee, WI area please let me know. Thank you.

wait, so the offer you posted was assuming that you paid you own malpractice?!

I went to indeed.com and punched in nurse practitioner for your area and there are 96 openings. I would try there...just saying.

The offer is not a reflection on you .... just the practice and PA climate, dont get upset. Malpractice (5,000+) and half of health benefits (at least 2-3,000 a year) could easily cost a significant portion of your salary. I like the idea of searching NP positions, maybe two part time positions to start?, even ifnot advertising send resume to hospital/clinics that interest you, net work with PA school ?

yes, agreed -- this is not about you. we are all jumping up and down and screaming -- but not on you! it is strictly a reflection of the outrageousness of this docs offer. we are all reacting to the audacity and disrespect he is showing not only for you, but for the whole profession. I would even bet that in a PA saturated area, he might even be planning to have a whole string of "3 week" (unpaid) trials, so that he can stretch out his free labor for awhile. it is strictly a shame-on-him scenario. I'll bet he has some deep financial and/or legal trouble. I'd bet big on that. we are reacting so strongly (I am anyway) so you have absolutley no doubt that this offer SUX!!!

No offense taken, I know members of PA forum are looking to better the PA profession.

Marilynpac- Thank you for looking up jobs for me at indeed.com. I am familiar with the many of the job search websites. I have applied for NP and PA jobs and I have been rejected from many of these jobs.

Socialmedicine- Thank you for giving me advice about finding jobs with PA school and hospitals. I went to network with colleagues at the Wis. PA. Association conference. I have told my classmates that I am in need of a job. I am volunteering at two clinics. I am sure some jobs will show up for me :o)

Kittyn- I do share the same sentiment of you and I feel that his job offer is terrible. But to be fair, I think the hiring doc doesn’t really know how to work with midlevels. He offered the same package to NPs. I had to educate the doctor quite a bit about the PA profession. But even then, he was reluctant to offer to pay for the malpractice.

Thank you all for your input on this matter and I do take your valuable advice to heart :o)

According to the hiring doc, there are 10 NP who submitted their resumes for this position

This guy should bet into the used car business. Last time I heard "don't wait, I have a few other prospects looking at this baby" turned out to be wise to walk away...

65K? geez; did he say please before he spit in your face?

Archived