Going to PA school because its easier than med

I edited a bunch from the middle of OP's post; it's the logic he was using to decide PA school would be easier that's wack. Bananas, even. B-A-N-A-N-A-S.

I'll be at SEMPA, dining with princesses (including the two I'm bringing), but if I get any farther away from emergency med I'll have to start doing AAPA instead. Sorry you won't be in Orlando. Space Mountain! Wooo!

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I edited a bunch from the middle of OP's post; it's the logic he was using to decide PA school would be easier that's wack. Bananas, even. B-A-N-A-N-A-S.

I'll be at SEMPA, dining with princesses (including the two I'm bringing), but if I get any farther away from emergency med I'll have to start doing AAPA instead. Sorry you won't be in Orlando. Space Mountain! Wooo!

took my kids to disneyland when they were in the princess stage a few years ago(ok, almost a decade ago), but anyway- we ended up spending 3 days hunting down all the princesses for pix and autographs...3 actual rides in 3 days...and small world was 2 of them....

If you have any concern at all that you may not hack some of the classes, go to med school.  It's not because one is easier than the other, but because med school is much more forgiving.  There isn't time to do a bunch of remediation in PA school.  You fail, you're out.  

If you have any concern at all that you may not hack some of the classes, go to med school.  It's not because one is easier than the other, but because med school is much more forgiving.  There isn't time to do a bunch of remediation in PA school.  You fail, you're out.  

Yup. Med schools generally have ample time for remediation (breaks, summers, etc.). Most PA schools put you on probation after one course failure, and even with remediation a second failure is an auto-out. Not to mention that for many PA programs anything below a 70 is considered failing. Whereas the med schools I am familiar with allow passage with D's (given sufficient overall GPA).

OP, you came to a PA forum, implied the training and education was easier and that MDs do not have a better schedule or pay. You have heard from students and working PAs that you are wrong, and argued with them all. I'll help you out, molly-coddle you and tell you what you want to hear:

You would be a wonderful PA school candidate who would be welcomed with open arms into any school you deign to grace with your presence. There is no reason you should graduate with any less than a 3.99 GPA and will undoubtedly be a recognized peer among the physicians you will be working with who would never possibly believe that PA school was easier than their training.

Admin: It's been about 12 hours since this thread started, can it be killed?

This has been beaten to death, but as someone who went to a PA school associated with a med school and took several of my courses with med students, I would not have the fears that you have. Typical med student schedule: 8-12 or 8-1, typical PA schedule: 8-5. In the classes we took with the med students we required an 80 to pass while they required a 70. Same class at the same time with the same exams, aside from the fact that we had an additional 20 hours of other lectures in a week compared to them and infinitely less time to study... If your concern is simply being able to pass, med school should not be a deterrent. If you are concerned because you have your heart set on plastics and you don't feel you'll be able to match into such a competitive residency, then you may have a point.

The med student roommates (and every other MS I meet) are always saying how I study way more than them and have a much more intense unit load than they ever did. PA school is NOT easier. Get that out of your head.

Both paths are going to be the hardest schooling you have ever experienced so choose based on what you want your career to be because if you want it bad enough you will get through it regardless of which path you take.

Wow this topic really blew up.

I agree with the others that going to PA school as the "path of least resistance" is kind of a flawed approach. It's ignorant really, the OP is just speculating.

I found nothing that easy about my PA program. At the time I graduated we had the 2nd or 3rd highest overall board scores out of all current programs, according to the NCCPA. That's not to be boastful--I'm an B+ guy--but it was a rigorous program. I don't imagine other programs are much different. Here's why:

-Intensity (material covered per unit time)

-Mandatory class attendance

-Mandatory rotation hours (technically if you are there <40 hours a week they can make you repeat the rotation).

-Margin of error. Fail a class? Repeat the entire academic year. Fail 2? You're done forever. Have a sub-80 average? You're out. Fail 2 exams? You fail the class. You get the idea. There are so many benchmarks to reach in such a short period of time that missing one is usually the death knell to your education.

It's not that the material is any different from med school---everyone knows that---it's the sheer volume per unit time and the very slim margin of error. There's no summer break. There's very little chances for "make ups" or remediation. It's full speed ahead for 2-3 years, and you just cant get behind or have some sort of personal/existential crisis, or you are done. And if you fail out or drop out of a program, your chances of getting back in to ANY legitimate medical program--MD,DO,PA, whatever---are slim.

Personally I like being a PA in my current setting and you couldn't pay me to go back to med school. But it depends on what you (think) you want to do and the setting you ultimately end up in.

if someone is so worried about managing work load they will probably not have a good career in medicine. Go into a different field. In order to be a PA operating at the top of his/her game it takes a lot of work. If you are only able to give 110% then you will be thinking about LECOM MD program in a few years and regretting the decision to go to PA school.

So if PA school is more intense and not that much shorter than med school then why did you guys choose to become PAs over MD/DOs? The PAs that I have shadowed, particularly in primary care, seem to do the exact same job as the MDs but get paid half the ammount. Why didn't any of you just go to med school, enjoy a less intense curriculum, and end up with a similar job but with more autonomy&money?

EMEDPA has said its cuz he wanted to avoid orgo. What about the rest of yall?

What's the point of the PA profession if (judging by the feedback of a handful of veteran PAs on this board) it sucks so bad compared to being an MD? 

Question: who SHOULD be a PA?

I got a 29 on my MCAT (felt like a failure compared to all my pre-med friends who broke 30+), refused to go Caribbean - applied for a cycle and was left empty handed - worked in Derm for 2 years - and now I'm in a great PA program.

I'm pretty satisfied with my decision (currently). I know a handful of PAs who are also satisfied with their decisions; I know a handful of Docs who pushed me to go MD/DO; I know a handful of Docs who wished they went to PA school; I know a handful of Docs who say "F*&K medicine, I shoulda started a lawn-care company in South Florida" ... 

I want to work in a well compensated specialty. I would be pretty devastated if I had gone through medical school and ended up being a primary care or urgent care physician. No offense to those clinicians, it's just something that I do not wish to make a career out of. As a PA I don't lose sleep over Standardized Tests deciding my fate & specialty that I'm going to spend the rest of my life working in. Could I have cut it in med school? Absolutely. Could I have landed a CT-Surg/Derm/Urology residency with top 5% STEP scores? ....maybe..... Will I land a job in my desired specialty as a PA and work my ass off? Yes. 

What does the future of the PA profession hold if the veterans suggest that everyone should just go MD/DO or BUST bc being a PA kinda sucks...?

Most PAs who choose PA over med school (excluding those who truly never wanted to be an MD/DO) choose the shorter path for lifestyle and financial reasons. I did, and regretted it from the first job. I talked myself out of going to med school for the first 7 yr but was seriously considering it by year 5. In 2008 I applied but was wait listed (my MCAT wasn't that hot). In my 10th year I had the opportunity to join the inaugural class of APAP at LECOM and I took it.

The first summer wasn't too bad. The winter was rough. I had to remediate biochemistry and physiology (independent study was a disaster for me! Couldn't master that much material in 2 wk). Scared me to death. But I did it, and everything got better. The last time I seriously contemplated quitting was the following spring in neuro anatomy (hardest class I have ever loved) but at the same time my SC PA license was inactivated because a POS SP sent a letter to the board withdrawing himself as my SP without telling me first. I was livid and it took months and a personal meeting with the board member to reactivate (I have never had a sanction, a suit nor failed to maintain all of the requirements for licensure and certification). That kind of dependent provider crap was exactly the kick in the tush I needed to double down and finish med school.

Very happy I did. In fact even on day 8 of 12 in a row fourteens before my next day off I am still happier as an overworked and underpaid resident than I ever was as a PA.

Your mileage may vary.

Just be forewarned that your logic is beyond flawed and like my buddies E and FBIDOC I too am going to tell you JUST GO TO MED SCHOOL.

So if PA school is more intense and not that much shorter than med school then why did you guys choose to become PAs over MD/DOs? The PAs that I have shadowed, particularly in primary care, seem to do the exact same job as the MDs but get paid half the ammount. Why didn't any of you just go to med school, enjoy a less intense curriculum, and end up with a similar job but with more autonomy&money?

EMEDPA has said its cuz he wanted to avoid orgo. What about the rest of yall?

We all have our reasons. Mine is that my family needs me around to help out so its less time in school for me. 

"I know its possible that PA school ends up being too hard for me, but I feel like if I study my butt off I should be able to pass."  

If you study your butt off, you should pass med school too.

If you are worried about failing both, then dont apply. You have a good shot at doing something for a better long term future but because you're stuck on a personal "what if" situation you're now asking the forum for an opinion. To me, you seem to shoot down every suggestion of going to med school. Just apply to PA school and call it a day, and hopefully in the future you wont kick yourself in the butt for it.

What's the point of the PA profession if (judging by the feedback of a handful of veteran PAs on this board) it sucks so bad compared to being an MD? 

What does the future of the PA profession hold if the veterans suggest that everyone should just go MD/DO or BUST bc being a PA kinda sucks...?

Not everyone thinks being a PA sucks. There are veteran PAs that enjoy what they do and are happy with their career choice. I know a lot of them. They are just not forum members so you might not get to hear their perspective.

Not everyone thinks being a PA sucks. There are veteran PAs that enjoy what they do and are happy with their career choice. I know a lot of them. They are just not forum members so you might not get to hear their perspective.

I didn't say being a pa sucks, I said some folks would be happier as docs.

I didn't say being a pa sucks, I said some folks would be happier as docs.

I didn't say you did, and sorry if I came off that way. That was the perception that the youngblood walked away with not me I understand where you and others are coming from. I agree that some folks would be happier as docs and I think some folks should be docs and not PAs. I'm backing away slowly with my hands in the air and going back to enjoying my rum and coke. We have no beef .  Forgive my typos....

I didn't say you did, and sorry if I came off that way. That was the preception that the youngblood walked away with not me I understand where you and others are coming from. I agree that some folks would be happier as docs and I think some folks should be docs and not PAs. I'm backing away slowly with my hands in the air and going back to enjoying my rum and coke. We have no beef .      

thats the perception I got too...

@emedpa do you enjoy doing what you do even at the jobs you left earlier?

thats the perception I got too...

@emedpa do you enjoy doing what you do even at the jobs you left earlier?

I enjoy what I do now (rural/solo coverage jobs). I didn't enjoy many of my jobs in the prior 15 years before getting my current jobs.

I enjoy what I do now (rural/solo coverage jobs). I didn't enjoy many of my jobs in the prior 15 years before getting my current jobs.

so would you say it was because of the field itself or was it because of others that you didnt know enjoy your job for 15 years ?

And hey, I'm the first to admit being a PA was a GREAT thing for me. It just wasn't the last career for me. Ultimately I wanted more and I decided to suck it up and do the time so I could have the scope of practice and breadth and depth of knowledge that I needed to be self -actualized. Truly I wanted to be a better teacher and to know what I did not know. There is always something more to learn. My experience is incredibly helpful and I have to suppress a smirk when a naive med student mistakes me for an attending or the night hospitalist thinks I must be a third year...lol.

But I've made huge sacrifices to do it. I have less money than I've had in a decade and am in more than double the debt. I haven't had and probably won't have children (it's ok, I'm not that maternal anyway) and my relationships are strained, but I'm happily selfish at this time in my life.

It's a very personal decision.

You dug your own grave with the title of this thread though and we all thought you needed a good smack-down.

As my good friend LESH would say, "nothin but love"....

:)

Archived