To whose who did not major in a science:

about two years. Yes I was working. Keep in mind that it might seem like a long time period for the amount of classes, but it was more or less required because some of the classes are pre recs to the other, have to take anatomy 1 before anatomy 2, need to take anatomy 1 and chemistry before microbiolgy, you get the idea. So during that time period I may not have been in school FULL TIME going by unit count, but those pre rec classes sure felt like full time compared to any other upper division class I took.

i was a psych major (lol) but did all my prereqs in time. I think the biggest bit of advice i can give is to not stop. While your friends are all "lets vacation all summer" dont. just continue taking classes through summer until you are done. Its easy to say oh ill just take it in the fall

Hmmmm, 4 semesters for Chem, A&P 1 and 2, and microbiology, one each semester while working; I also threw in some other extra classes to at least make myself half-time: pharmacology, EMT class, some kind of foods/nutrition class, an HTML class. Had physics, algebra, cultural anthropology, etc with my other degrees.

Hi. I cut my work back to 4 days/week when I started taking classes. It gives me time to focus on class and continue volunteering (in the ER). I'm only doing one class/semester, year-round, to give myself the chance to really excel with the schoolwork. I'll be doing pre-req's for two years before I can start applying - and then I'll continue taking classes (more pre-req's for additional programs) to expand the list of schools to which I can apply in the next cycle, if it comes to that.

Took me about 5 years: my BS is in computer science, over 30 years ago. I was working more than full time also. I had to take chem, O chem, biochem, physics, biology, A&P, genetics, micro, patho, cell biology, psych, sociology.... I strongly recommend taking all of these at community colleges: lower cost, better student:professor ratio. I found the quality of instruction better there too, vs. the upper division classes I took at the university.

Guest Ucfstef84

I was a psych major and the prereqs took me about a year and a half. I think I had 8 classes to take plus labs. I worked park time during. It wasn't fun but it is worth it.

BA Psych major, 3 yrs at private university. Worked 15hr a week, first at circuit city (LOL), then as an MA in a peds office. A yr of inorganic chem, orgo, bio and A&P all with labs, plus a sem. of micro with lab. Wish I had time for physics though, I did love it in hs... currently 3wk from finishing my first year in PA school at 21yo.

In one year I took Bio/Chem/OChem/BioChem/Micro/A&P(2 semester)/AlgebraI/Medical Terminology. I had a background in psychology and literature and had a college statistics course already. I also took the GRE. I worked part-time, but I also have 3 children who were under age 3 until a few months ago (now 3 under 4), so that really is a job in itself. I am starting school in May and happy b/c it was May of last year I decided to switch from RN to PA and I am sooo glad I did. It is worth it to make the sacrifice to work hard and bust through it. The overlap between subjects really helped get me through. I also took 3 courses as distance learning which helped.

So far it is going to take me about two years to finish my pre-reqs. I already have a&p 1 and 2 and microbiology. I need to retake chemistry and ochem because my previous major is only for that major and nothing else. I wasted a year taking those courses so I'm a bit behind on the prereqs but if I continue to go to school a full year, I'll be done with the prereqs. I'm a psychology major by the way.

Archived