If I could Do it Over - Installment 1 - PA Owned Clinic

• 4 months later...

I just opened a Family Practice Clinic "Madisonville Primary Care Group" 06 Sept2011. We have been open six weeks now and just sent out our first billing to Medicare. Based on average reimbursements vs. billing I am 99% confident that we are already breaking even. That includes the fact that we were only seeing 3-6 patients a day for the first 3 weeks. I did no marketing ahead of time because I wanted it to be a slow start. We had a brand new EMR (eMDs that cost $20,000), and brand new staff and IT company that needed to learn the EMR. We are in a very small town (pop. 5000) and have just recently started to advertise. I have had extensive business experience so the bank loan was easy. The hardest part was finding the perfect office manager who could handle all aspects of running the practice while I see patients. All I can say is that I either choose well when I hired her or that I just got lucky as hell. I'm pretty sure that I simply got lucky. It only took her 23 days to get me and the clinic credentialed with Medicare...that has to be a world record!!! Anyway, things are going great so far. I'll try to update in the future. Anyone who has questions or simply wants some advise should feel free to ask away. I would love to help other PAs start their practice as well as the PA profession as a whole.

I just opened a Family Practice Clinic "Madisonville Primary Care Group" 06 Sept2011. We have been open six weeks now and just sent out our first billing to Medicare. Based on average reimbursements vs. billing I am 99% confident that we are already breaking even. That includes the fact that we were only seeing 3-6 patients a day for the first 3 weeks. I did no marketing ahead of time because I wanted it to be a slow start. We had a brand new EMR (eMDs that cost $20,000), and brand new staff and IT company that needed to learn the EMR. We are in a very small town (pop. 5000) and have just recently started to advertise. I have had extensive business experience so the bank loan was easy. The hardest part was finding the perfect office manager who could handle all aspects of running the practice while I see patients. All I can say is that I either choose well when I hired her or that I just got lucky as hell. I'm pretty sure that I simply got lucky. It only took her 23 days to get me and the clinic credentialed with Medicare...that has to be a world record!!! Anyway, things are going great so far. I'll try to update in the future. Anyone who has questions or simply wants some advise should feel free to ask away. I would love to help other PAs start their practice as well as the PA profession as a whole.

please start a new thread and keep up updated on this

a question for you - do you have a doc on site?

how are you billing insurance companies that do not credential PA's (so you have to bill through the Doc's PIN)

Also, what type of payment are you making for your SP?

very interested in reply - PM me if you think it is better to not be public...

please start a new thread and keep up updated on this

a question for you - do you have a doc on site?

how are you billing insurance companies that do not credential PA's (so you have to bill through the Doc's PIN)

Also, what type of payment are you making for your SP?

very interested in reply - PM me if you think it is better to not be public...

Consider bogging about your experience (same for Contrarian). I have been but I think it is time I shut mine down because I'm up and running and the exciting/nerve racking days are behind me . . . so I hope.

jmj11, Contrarian and now Greg .... AWESOME job .... this is a great thing for our profession. In the mist of all the controversy around the PANRE and law suits against the NCPA and AAPA, it is great to see what you guys are doing.

Good luck and keep the updates coming. I love logging on and reading about how you guys are kick'in a$$

• 6 months later...

Your story is very inspiring. I am New York State PA, how did you lobby to to get the your state to agree? I have a few docs interested in helping me open my own practice but I am at a road block with State legislation. Any suggestions?

Thanks for sharing BTW, this forum helps validate that I am not the only PA wanting to own their own practice...

Our state has no legislation forbidding PA ownership. The issue, in our case, became supervision. We were on the razor's edge of what was allowable. It was very difficult getting our "supervisory agreement" by the pencil pushers. Once I got to the next level and had a conference call between my future SP, + a physician with the state's medical quality assurance commission we got the green light. I love when you can speak logic to someone who has the power to make decisions rather than someone who just fills in boxes "correctly." Good luck.

Archived