Hi everyone,

I'm applying to the 3+3 BS/MS program and was hoping anyone could fill me in on the time of credentials and background they are looking for and how they evaluate applicants applying through their program. Any information would help!

I have a 3.8 GPA, 500 hours of PA Shadowing, I worked in a doctor's office for 4 years so I have those hours as part of Patient Contact and Health Care Experience. I have recently started research with a lab affiliated with Rutgers (3 months)

Thanks! 

• 1 month later...

Hi Kristie! 

I also applied to the 3+3 program! is the 500 hours of PA shadowing a result of working in the doctors office? Also, what do you do at the doctors office? 

Rutgers seems really competitive, but you sound like a qualified applicant!!! My credentials are below(: but I remember the program stressing during their informational session that 3+3 students are accepted before those who apply traditionally, so there are no specific amount of spots for 3+3 students- basically if 18 people apply and 18 people are highly qualified, they could take them all if they felt they would complement their program nicely

I am at Rutgers right now, 3.97 GPA, 4.0 science GPA

-- I also completed the Achievements in Math and Science program, granted the Academic excellence award (I'm sure you did too!), in the National Society for Collegiate Scholars, and was pledge class scholarship chair and philanthropy and community service chair in my sorority

Patient care: First Aid Squad, Dental Assistant, Nurse Aid, and currently work as a Physical Therapist/Occupational Therapist Aid

PA Shadowing: cardiothoracic surgery, bariatric/general surgery, ortho, ortho trauma (at hospital for special surgery), and psychiatry (at Rikers Island)

I've been interested in this program since entering Rutgers 2 years ago, and have found many people who have been accepted to the 3+3 program to ask about their experiences, I feel like we both have a good shot!

Best of luck to you-- please message me if you want to talk (: 

• 2 weeks later...

Hey everyone. I also applied for the 3+3 program this year. 3.75 overall GPA, 3.3 science GPA, 1000+ EMT paid hours, 2000+ EMT volunteer hours, international trauma life support certified, 150+ PA shadowing hours in trauma, gastro, NICU and Air Force flight medicine. 

Any of you hear back on an interview date yet? Sent in my app mid April and haven't heard anything yet.

Nope, nothing yet about interviews or anything, but you definitely have a whole lot of experience so at the very least you should be getting an interview. All I've gotten so far is an email from Ms. Santiago to clarify what classes on my transcript are covering which PA requirements and I sent my application in the beginning of May. Let us know if you hear back from anyone!

I'll cross my fingers for you too!! The 3+3 program only has ~8-20 applicants per year (they had mentioned it at their information session but that may not be correct. I'm almost certain it's under 25 applicants though). I know of no one else at Rutgers who applied, but in a school of 45k students I'm sure there are others. Do you know if the other Ramapo applicant received an interview?

I sent in my application in the beginning of May and from NJIT there isn't anyone else that I know applying through the 3+3 program. I'm bringing my final grades for this semester with me to the interview. If you haven't even received a confirmation email from the office saying they received your application I would give them a call and ask them the status of your application just to make sure they have it at least. Otherwise just wait till next Monday to give them a call, they are pretty nice and helpful so they wouldn't mind!

But honestly I wouldn't even worry because you have a lot of HCE and that is a super important experience that they look for in future PAs. 

Good luck!! :)

Thank you!!! I called to ask if they got my official transcript and all they said was "we recieved it and youll get an official confirmation from the secretary" i wonder if ill get interview date then. Anyways, I got an email confirming they got my app weeks ago but no notification of interview yet.

Archived