Dermcare Team and Restrictive PA practice

Hi all, this was taken from the AAPA web site: 

AAPA and SDPA Respond to AAD Initiative with Restrictive Requirements

The American Academy of Dermatology (AAD) recently announced the DermCare Team. While this new program has a commendable premise of inclusion of all team members, AAPA and the Society of Dermatology Physician Assistants (SDPA) oppose the program’s restrictive attestation requirement and have written a letter outlining their concerns to the AAD President and DermCare Team Implementation Workgroup. 

The attestation requires DermCare Teams to adhere to AAD’s “Position Statement on The Practice of Dermatology: Protecting and Preserving Patient Safety and Quality Care.” This policy, which requires dermatologists to provide “direct, on-site supervision,” is far more restrictive than state PA practice acts and does not reflect recent advances in team collaboration.

The letter calls for the DermCare Team program and AAD to either drop the attestation requirement or update the policy to reflect the present and future model of PA-physician collaboration. If there is no change, AAPA and SDPA will actively discourage PAs and their physician colleagues from signing up and participating in AAD’s DermCare Team program.

Read the full AAPA and SDPA letter or, for more information on this issue, please contact Ann Davis, MS, PA-C, vice president of constituent organization outreach and advocacy.

- See more at: https://www.aapa.org/twocolumn.aspx?id=2147485047#sthash.NWxlWNKv.dpuf.

I think its ridiculous. just wanted to know what you guys think. Also, I brought it up to my SP and he seemed ambivalent to my surprise.  He seems to agree with above in some ways. I am new to the practice and I still consider myself a new grad. even though I have been practicing for less than 2 years.  I am also his first PA. what pointers can I discuss with my SP? he seems open to discussing my concerns. 

Archived