New grad dilemma: Army vs civilian job

He was only in for 3 years. So he wasn't in the zone for major yet.

I'm currently in the Air Force. At least here, PAs usually make it to 0-4 without issue, with many becoming 0-5 if they stay in. The highest that a PA can go, to my knowledge, is 0-6 (Colonel).

there are a few O-7 Pas out there:

2 in the public health service and 2 in the army that I am aware of. I work with a guy who will likely make 0-7 in a few years(currently O-6 at age 45).

there are a few O-7 Pas out there:

2 in the public health service and 2 in the army that I am aware of. I work with a guy who will likely make 0-7 in a few years(currently O-6 at age 45).

I know for sure that there aren't any in the AF. Interesting that other branches have them though.

the last 2 assistant surgeon generals ( #2 at the PHS) were rear admiral PAs. Mike Milner is a grad of my DHSc program at Nova.

Shep Stone is the (retired now) commander of the Connecticut natl guard and a pa who worked his way to 0-7 from the bottom up. There is another guy who was a general first then went to pa school. he is a retired 3 star.

http://www.manetchc.org/aboutus/michael-milner.html

http://medicine.yale.edu/anesthesiology/people/shepard_stone.profile

http://www.usphs.gov/profession/healthservices/clinicalcare/cpo.aspx

• 1 year later...

There are no Army Active duty PA 07's.  There is only one spot in the AOC available for 07 and it's never been held by a 65D.  We have a only a handful of 06 slots.  O4 slots are getting hard to come by.  The promotion rate to Major is only about 45%.

Wow that's surprising. Just 45%? In the AF, it's still close to a sure thing (though a friend of mine didn't make major and had no disciplinary issues).

A guy that I work with now is in the ARNG and he told me that they are only 65% manned there. He was encouraging me to join (now that I'm a civ).

Times are tight right now and the Army kind of flooded the system at the height of GOTWA.  PA's were the most deployed medical officers in the Army so the attrition rate was relatively high.  I had two deployments in three years right out of school plus the usual Army training courses in between.  It's a busy life sometimes.  Now there is an overall excess of PA's that will take a few years to balance out especially with the draw downs and stuff.

Times are tight right now and the Army kind of flooded the system at the height of GOTWA.  PA's were the most deployed medical officers in the Army so the attrition rate was relatively high.  I had two deployments in three years right out of school plus the usual Army training courses in between.  It's a busy life sometimes.  Now there is an overall excess of PA's that will take a few years to balance out especially with the draw downs and stuff.

Yeah true.

I came at just the end of that (awarded the HPSP in 2011). It seems they completely cut out most of these programs for PAs.

Archived