Alternates - C/O 2017

I am on the alternate list as well and hoping to be accepted into the class of 2017! Western is the only school I applied to so I was extremely bummed when I found out I was an alternate. After a couple of days of digesting this news, I have become more optimistic because there is still hope of being accepted. Even if not accepted this year, being selected as an alternate makes you a much stronger candidate for next year because you know you already have what it takes and have a year to improve and if we made it this far, a little improvement is all we need to make it all the way next year... We are all in a similar boat so lets support each other through this! 

• 3 weeks later...

Hey everyone! I'm also an alternate.........such a bittersweet feeling. I also haven't heard anything yet. I talked to admissions last week and found out that there are 76 alternates. That's quite a bit and I'm guessing since there are still so many, that they haven't been accepting alternates...........maybe. That's my hope right now. But good luck to you all! I know we are all so very anxious.

I received my acceptance on the 6th in the afternoon.  Didn't see it till yesterday at noon.  I interviewed on 2/24.  I did not feel I answered the interview questions well.  But I did have a super good upbeat attitude/personality.  As for my stats...my GPA through CAPSA was generally 3.24.  But I repeated courses etc and Western used that info to recalculate my GPA...so not sure what it ended up being.  My pre-reqs were all A's except for 2 B's in 3 unit courses.  I have 3 years working as an MA...1/2 front office , 1/2 back office.  Tons of volunteer hours.  I am an older applicant and have had years to build it up.  I am hoping you all hear something soon!!

Ya I'm not sure what happened this year. Last year they had like 50 alternates and there was at least 15 spots that opened up. And I called admissions last week and asked for any information regarding any wait list movement and they couldn't tell me anything other than they think they've had a couple students from the wait list accepted. They wouldn't even say how many alternates there were. So its definitely rough this year. And I didn't know they could do that as students .. dang that's guna make it that much harder for us!

I spoke with admissions last week and they told me that there has been 4 alternates that were accepted. And there are around ~70 unranked alternates. 

I was a little discouraged after I heard that but let's look on the positive side - we all made it this far ! And if we don't get in this year, we'll try again next year and if being a PA is really what we want to do, we'll get there eventually. :)

I received my acceptance on the 6th in the afternoon. Didn't see it till yesterday at noon. I interviewed on 2/24. I did not feel I answered the interview questions well. But I did have a super good upbeat attitude/personality. As for my stats...my GPA through CAPSA was generally 3.24. But I repeated courses etc and Western used that info to recalculate my GPA...so not sure what it ended up being. My pre-reqs were all A's except for 2 B's in 3 unit courses. I have 3 years working as an MA...1/2 front office , 1/2 back office. Tons of volunteer hours. I am an older applicant and have had years to build it up. I am hoping you all hear something soon!!

Did you come early in the morning? I interviewed that same day. From your description, I might have said hi to you in the info session :) haha. I feel like the minimal volunteering and clinical experience I have is what held me back. That's awesome that you have so much of it! Congrats again!

Hey guys! So I spoke with admissions yesterday, and like everyone else says, they don't really say much haha. However, I asked them to verify something I heard about how they choose from the alternate list and they said it was true.

If you don't already know, apparently they match each alternate (by stats and experience) to a student who is currently accepted and if that student drops, then the matched alternate will take their place. So I'm reeeally hoping my match has their top pick at a different school and gets accepted there! Haha!! Win-win situation :)

apparently they match each alternate (by stats and experience) to a student who is currently accepted and if that student drops, then the matched alternate will take their place.

So I'm reeeally hoping my match has their top pick at a different school and gets accepted there! Haha!! Win-win situation :)

If this is true, hopefully you match my stats and experience.  I just declined my spot in the program and wish whoever gets it the best of luck in the program.

Archived