Advice on BS/MHS PA Program: Drexel vs. Hofstra

Hi. I'm a high school senior and I was recently accepted into Hofstra University and Drexel University  for the BS/MHS 5 year PA program, which is truly a dream come true!! However I'm having trouble deciding between the two programs.  I loved Drexel more because of its urban location, but the program seems more cutthroat.For both the programs, I have to maintain a 3.3 GPA and they both have similar & great PANCE pass results. Hofstra is much cheaper but I think Drexel has a greater reputation when it comes to getting a job??

Could any past alums or current students please give me any advice/comments/opinions/pros&cons on these schools because I have to commit before all seats in the program are taken!

Also are there any other factors I should be considering when deciding which program to commit to??

Thank you much!!!!

Hi. I'm a high school senior and I was recently accepted into Hofstra University and Drexel University  for the BS/MHS 5 year PA program, which is truly a dream come true!! However I'm having trouble deciding between the two programs.  I loved Drexel more because of its urban location, but the program seems more cutthroat.For both the programs, I have to maintain a 3.3 GPA and they both have similar & great PANCE pass results. Hofstra is much cheaper but I think Drexel has a greater reputation when it comes to getting a job??

go with you gut...

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you for responding and sorry for the delayed reply!!

I committed to Hofstra because seats are limited and I don't want to lose my spot if I do actually plan on going there (but no worries, the tuition deposit is refundable).  I recently visited Hofstra and  liked the program. The staff also seem pretty great and it is my cheapest option. I would also be able to come home during the winter and summer and perhaps study abroad. However the campus is in a bad location (sketchy, away from malls, kind of dull)..

Drexel has an amazing campus, full of life and activites. It also has a great reputation and a co-op (6 months of actual work experience!!). Drexel is also close to many hospitals. I liked everything about Drexel except the tuition, the quarter system (10 weeks...seems kind of rushed?), having to go to school during the summer, and Drexel tends to weed out the direct entry students??? (so not all of us actually make it to the professional phase; we have to compete with outside applicants for a seat in the professional phase).  

I have requested more money from Drexel and I'm still waiting to hear back from them. Also, I plan to visit Drexel again in April to see if I still love the atmosphere. 

Any further comments would be greatly appreciated! Thank you so much!!

• 5 weeks later...

Update: I have finally decided to go to Hofstra!!!

Though it's not an exactly urban location, its still pretty close to NYC, which is a huge plus when it comes to internships and clinicals. The program also has a 100% PANCE pass rate. A seat is reserved for me in the professional phase of the program as long as I maintain a good GPA, have 100 hours of patient contact/shadowing, and have a successful interview. In addition, the masters program only has 50 students.  

I'm really happy with my decision. I can't wait to start at Hofstra and become a PA!!!

Thank you so much for all your help!!!

Random question, do you know how much access scholarships and grants you have? $185K is crazy!! Even with my undergrad loans I will still be under $100K for both undergrad (private) and grad loans... Just seems a bit steep to me (Unless you have mom and dad paying) but I didn't...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

At this stage in your life, it is hard to see the major impact that a $150K loan will have ...

I hope you have folks in your life who have sat down with you and gone over the numbers so that you are going into this with eyes wide open. $150K loan at 6ish% with 10 yr repayment is a little under $2k per month ... a 20 yr repayment will put you slightly over $1k per month.

Congrats and good luck to you.

Archived