Health Care Hours

Hello Everyone! 

I am graduating in May with a degree in Biological Sciences. I did not apply this cycle (14-15) for PA programs because I have not obtained any hours yet. I am planning on taking an advanced EMT class that will begin in May and will be ending in the beginning of July. I was wondering if it would be smart to apply to schools when CASPA reopens for the (15-16) cycle, because I will not have many hours logged but all I plan on doing after EMT classes is working on getting my hours and shadowing. Or wait all the way to the (16-17) cycle to when I will actually have hours logged. I know that some of the schools I would like to apply to say that they do not require hours but its highly recommended. But then there are some schools that would like hours, but I am working on the hours during the application process, so could I still apply with them and then some how explain what I am doing, without them throwing out the application for seeing that I do not have my hours. 

Any help is greatly welcomed! 
Thank you!

If possible see if you can get a variety of shadowing experiences, not only PAs, but also of NPs, MDs, DOs, RNs etc. It is good to be able to understand and differentiate between all of them, it will give you a better perspective of healthcare, and it will solidify the reasons for why you want to be a PA. 

I am a medical lab scientist about to graduate in may 2015. i have a job offer from blood donor services that will allow me to be in contact with myasthenia gravis, sickle cell anemia patients among others. my question is, is this a good patient contact experience? or should i seek a side job as an EMT or something else? 

Also, if you are considering becoming an EMT, keep in mind that some schools will not count your stand by time towards your total health care experience hours. This is a common pitfall I've seen from applicants with EMT backgrounds. Some schools only count the time you are actually handling patients. Make sure you verify with each school you plan to apply to so you don't get dissapointed. Best of luck!

Also, if you are considering becoming an EMT, keep in mind that some schools will not count your stand by time towards your total health care experience hours. This is a common pitfall I've seen from applicants with EMT backgrounds. Some schools only count the time you are actually handling patients. Make sure you verify with each school you plan to apply to so you don't get dissapointed. Best of luck!

only stanford does this as far as I know...and it's a stupid rule....a nurse gets to count time at the potluck at work and other downtime but the medic can't count time at the station between calls?

I was an EMT - just a basic - and it worked out okay for me :). Advanced will be even better. 

I know this won't be popular advice... but besides waiting, you could try 1-2 schools that don't necessarily require HCE and consider it a practice application round. But to have a chance, that route might require a very high GPA, very high GRE scores, at least some indirect healthcare experience (shadowing, volunteering, research, etc.) and some other "cool" experiences, like a leadership position. I know of people who have been accepted without direct HCE, but they had a lot of other factors going for them in their application. But like everyone else has said, you'd have better odds by waiting. It's hard to talk about patient encounters in program interviews.... if you haven't had any patients yet :p. 

Archived