Neurology vs Urgent Care- New Grad

Hello,  I am a new grad and am currently trying to decide between a neurology and urgent care position. I one day see myself in primary care and want to make sure whatever job I choose will benefit my future goal. I need to respond to the neurology position by weeks end.

I am currently wondering if it would be wise to enter neurology as a new grad if I don't plan on staying in that field forever? Also any additional advice on neuro would be great as I have not seen too much in regards to neurology as a new grad!

Thank you!!

If you see yourself eventually in family medicine then urgent care is the way to go. I've been in neurology for almost 8 years and while I do a fair bit of primary care in managing patients with chronic neurologic disease it's not the same as doing primary care all the time. Not even close. I've thought about moving on/back to primary care but the salary cut would really hit me so I haven't considered it seriously. Your decision might also hinge on what you get to do in neurology. If it's all strokes all the time you would be better off doing primary care.

Archived