CNA vs. EMT for HCE?

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

I think as a EMT-B, you can possibly knock out 300 hours of hce in ten weeks (bare minimum) for a PA program.

Where I am currently it's a high stress job not due to patients you treat but because of the area ( EMS has been wearing bullet proof vests in Detroit areas). Cenas, from what I see, are worked every where, don't get as many hours and are micro managed (nurses constantly dictating your day in the hospital).

I am a CNA in a hospital, but I would advise you to go the EMT-B route if your area employs alot of EMT-B's. I don't know if this is just the hospital I work for or if this is going to become more common, but the hospital I work for is phasing out their LPN's and CNA's. I have went from working 32 hours per week or more to 20 if I am lucky because of new staffing guidelines. I am accepted into a program that starts in January otherwise I don't know what I would have done.

I felt that the CNA work was good basic experience, but I worked in a cardiac intensive care unit and got to take vitals on post open patients when they came back from surgery, I have scribed for codes, and then do more typical CNA type duties. We also do EKG's throughout the hospital. I also got to shadow the cardiothoracic surgical PA that works on our floor, so that was nice to see the first assist role a PA has in surgery.

you should look around at the job market....is it even possible for a CNA to get a hospital position straight out of training in your area? you may be stuck working in a nursing home. same with EMT ... not all hospitals hire EMTs as ER techs...depends on the area.

She has a good point because I worked in assisted living before I got the hospital position. Even then I had to really fight to get the position I got and actually worked both initially. Maybe even look for PRN CNA position if you still are in school too.

you should look around at the job market....is it even possible for a CNA to get a hospital position straight out of training in your area? you may be stuck working in a nursing home. same with EMT ... not all hospitals hire EMTs as ER techs...depends on the area.

Depends on the area and how quickly you want to get started. At my hospital the ER hires EMT's with a year of experience. Techs (nursing assistants we call them) in the rest of the hospital get hired w/o experience or CNA license. Nothing. They get trained on the job. Ask around at major hospitals.

Archived