I will be beginning my PA program this May, and I'm looking for advice on whether I should keep my RRT credentials. Is there any benefit for having these letters after my name once I am a PA-C?

• Upvote 1

I asked myself the same question a few months ago and came to this conclusion: I earned it, paid for it, may as well keep them.

As for the benefit, it depends on what you want to do after graduation. During my interview for my current job (pulm/cc), my RRT credential, as well as previous experience as an RT was a focal point and most likely played a part in landing the position.

Fyi, the passy Muir website is excellent for free RT cmes.

• Upvote 4

Thanks for the input! I kept thinking that since I'm "stepping up", employers wouldn't care about the RRT, but you're right. I earned them! The CMEs would be the annoying/expensive part, so thanks for the tip for some free ones.

EMED: I'm still fairly young and have a baby face, so I need all the street cred I can get!

Keep it through school.

2 reasons.

You may come to the determination that being a PA is not for you.

One of my roomates had this thought during PA school, renewed just in case. He persevered but it gave him peace of mind.

You may be able to pick up some per diem work during school.

Same roommate would go home on the weekend and place he would work would ask him to work a short shift or pick up some call and compensate him well for it. As you will find, a wee bit of cash now and then can be helpful.

After graduation, then there is time for reconsideration and how RT fits into your new career.

Good luck.

GB PA-C

• Upvote 1

I'm starting PA in May and I have been wondering the same thing. I was told that you can't hold two precessional license. Is this true? So does this mean I can keep my credentials but can not have my RT state license or am I totally off?

I've never heard that you can't hold two professional licenses. It wouldn't make much sense. I'm going to have completed both programs, so as long as I keep up CME and I keep paying to renew my license, I don't see how they could take one or prevent me from earning another.

I think I'll keep up with it for the next few years at least and then reevaluate. I really appreciate all the feedback!

• Upvote 2

I'm starting PA in May and I have been wondering the same thing. I was told that you can't hold two precessional license. Is this true? So does this mean I can keep my credentials but can not have my RT state license or am I totally off?

you can have both credentials, you just can't work as both at the same facility at the same time.

you can have both credentials, you just can't work as both at the same facility at the same time.

Just curious: who's regulating that? I used to pull additional shifts as a certified EMT at the same hospital where I worked as a certified imaging tech.

Just curious: who's regulating that? I used to pull additional shifts as a certified EMT at the same hospital where I worked as a certified imaging tech.

don't think they care for tech positions , but do for clinician level jobs. for example Primmadonna could not work as a PA and fp DO at the same facility at the same time. different rules and expectations for the different roles/ levels of training. also PAs who are also paramedics can not exceed paramedic scope of practice if working a few shifts as a medic.

• Upvote 2

I kept my RT license for 2 years before giving it up due to Texas TDH refusing to accept any of the 40 cmes I accumulated during the year as RT ceus. I was not going o take time of from my hospital schedule to fulfill their ceu requirements.

• Upvote 1

I was wondering the same thing (have not started PA training yet).

RTtoPA: I just renewed my RRT credentials after my MLS degree. Now I have to keep up with CEUs/CMEs for both and yes they are expensive and time consuming and free ones are hard to find, not counting paying the licensing fee. My state board gave me 3 credits for a clinical chemistry class in which we extensively covered pH and blood gas chemistry but were stubborn to do so.
I hope that some of my PA classes will cover some CEUs if the boards don't try to pigeonhole RRT.