books to read before starting school

"The Spirit Catches You and You Fall Down"

Very relevant, was required reading at my school, but an interesting case about a Hmong girl with epilepsy and the clash between their cultural beliefs and western medicine.

I just recently confronted some similar ethical issues in the ICU, had a native american patient w/ anoxic brain injury, sure reminded me of that book.

Otherwise "House of God" is always a good read for folks going into medicine.

"The Spirit Catches You an You Fall Down" was also required reading for us the summer before we started. I did not particularly enjoy the book. It made some excellent points but was way too one-sided for my taste. But I see the value of it.

The book that got me choked up is called "Closing the Chart". It was also required reading for us. It's about a FP physician and his journey as a patient. His experiences are eye opening. It helped me understand what kind of clinician I wan to be.

Good luck in your book search

If you really want a decent read that is releveant I would recommend "the only ekg book you will ever need". I did not have experience with EKGs before school and it is fairly managable on your own. Otherwise, read a book you want to read because you won't have time in PA school.

Archived