Physician Assistant SLAMMED on NBCs Night Shift!

Last night's Night Shift on NBC disappointed. A character on the show announces he is studying to become an MD. One of the ER physicians suggests to him that he should be a "physician's assistant" while he studies to become a doctor. "It involves a lot of scut work and a lot of ego boosting."

Seriously NBC!!!! What a poor representation of our profession. The article below states it briefly as well....

http://www.showbuzzdaily.com/reviews/showbuzzdaily-season-premiere-review-the-night-shift.html

Morons.

ER had a PA 20 years ago and got it right. Sad.

I wasn't a fan of how ER used their PA either...all fast track, rarely saw sick pts....did lots of scut. It was a big deal for PAs because it was the first time a PA was on a TV drama. I think Royal Pains actually does a better job. the PA on that show started the practice and makes tough calls every show.

I wasn't a fan of how ER used their PA either...all fast track, rarely saw sick pts....did lots of scut. It was a big deal for PAs because it was the first time a PA was on a TV drama. I think Royal Pains actually does a better job. the PA on that show started the practice and makes tough calls every show.

Ah. I don't even remember her much, or what her duties were, just that they got the "physician vs. physician's" part right.

I never got into Royal Pains, but good to hear they have a strong representation of PAs.

Also, since it was today, farewell to my beloved Parks & Rec <3

I haven't seen any of the shows mentioned, but just so we all stay grounded...lets just remember how poorly TV represents anyone in medicine (docs, nurses, ancillary staff etc) and medicine itself.

It makes me want to gag sometimes...docs running around like suave 4 star generals, rogue RNs just doing whatever or conversely, slaving away like mindless idiots, people in white coats and ties doing CPR (incorrectly, a given), the omnipresent shocking of asystole on someone still fully dressed and no ones getting ready for the tube or even bagging (then they wake right back up!)

Our industry itself has a hard time getting PAs right, I can't imagine creative types haha.

Most of my beef is that medical shows are supposed to be about drama. Ok fine, I understand they aren't documentaries and there will be some creative license. However, the characters (and their positions) are used as devices to further plots and let actors breathe, as opposed to the other way around. Thats why we have WASPy handsome male docs, sassy black female nurses, and on and on. As ludicrous as Grey's Anatomy was, it was somewhat refreshing to hear that they casted actors in a "color-blind" fashion, picking the best fit as opposed to a preconceived idea of what the character should be.

I still won't watch any of them. Its too easy to click on simpsons reruns and get an easy laugh. If medical video is what you want, Dr. Larry Mellick's channel on youtube is pretty sweet.

Which reminds me of another one of my old cartoons:

<iframe src="https://www.flickr.com/photos/80145104@N00/50238162/in/datetaken/player/" width="150" height="150" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen webkitallowfullscreen mozallowfullscreen oallowfullscreen msallowfullscreen></iframe>

Archived