"My daughter applied to 19 PA schools and didn't get into any"

Long story short, a speech therapist told me her daughter (who graduated with a 3.5 gpa Biology major) applied to 19 different PA schools and wasn't accepted at any so I didn't stand a chance with my gpa stats.

I have a 3.45 science GPA and 3.12 cumulative with 9 units to go. 4.0 in the remaining units will give me 3.6 science and a 3.25 cumulative

She didn't mention if her daughter had HCE or completed all of the prereqs. I'll have 1,000 hours HCE and hopefully over 100 volunteer hours with local EMS. The therapist's comments kind of struck a nerve. I don't know. I'm probably being overly sensitive.

Too many unknowns in your speech therapist's daughter's anecdotal data.  If she had no, or limited, HCE, and she applied to schools that require or highly value HCE ... if her CASPA essay was weak ... if her CASPA essay indicates she wants a certain discipline of medicine and she applied to schools that have a different focus ... if she did poorly on her GRE ... and so on.  Did she even get any interviews ... did she do poorly there?

While admissions are highly competitive, GPA stats are not the deciding factor for many schools.  I start a PA program in May.  While I have considerably more HCE, volunteer, and other work experience, and my GRE is on par with schools' expectations, my GPAs are considerably lower than hers or yours.  Yes, it's best to have your GPAs in line with the expectations and preferences of the programs where you intend to apply, but it's more important to be an overall good fit and overall good candidate to become a practicing PA.  Schools regularly publish their minimum expectations and their average GPAs for their cohort, but not always their high and low that are part of that average; remember that the average comes from people with higher and people with lower!  

In short, don't obsess over fractions of grade point differences between your own and other candidates; focus on making yourself the best candidate you can be.  

Too many unknowns in your speech therapist's daughter's anecdotal data.  If she had no, or limited, HCE, and she applied to schools that require or highly value HCE ... if her CASPA essay was weak ... if her CASPA essay indicates she wants a certain discipline of medicine and she applied to schools that have a different focus ... if she did poorly on her GRE ... and so on.  Did she even get any interviews ... did she do poorly there?

While admissions are highly competitive, GPA stats are not the deciding factor for many schools.  I start a PA program in May.  While I have considerably more HCE, volunteer, and other work experience, and my GRE is on par with schools' expectations, my GPAs are considerably lower than hers or yours.  Yes, it's best to have your GPAs in line with the expectations and preferences of the programs where you intend to apply, but it's more important to be an overall good fit and overall good candidate to become a practicing PA.  Schools regularly publish their minimum expectations and their average GPAs for their cohort, but not always their high and low that are part of that average; remember that the average comes from people with higher and people with lower!  

In short, don't obsess over fractions of grade point differences between your own and other candidates; focus on making yourself the best candidate you can be.  

Long story short, a speech therapist told me her daughter (who graduated with a 3.5 gpa Biology major) applied to 19 different PA schools and wasn't accepted at any so I didn't stand a chance with my gpa stats.

I have a 3.45 science GPA and 3.12 cumulative with 9 units to go. 4.0 in the remaining units will give me 3.6 science and a 3.25 cumulative

She didn't mention if her daughter had HCE or completed all of the prereqs. I'll have 1,000 hours HCE and hopefully over 100 volunteer hours with local EMS. The therapist's comments kind of struck a nerve. I don't know. I'm probably being overly sensitive.

The Published qualifications are a screening tool to make a cut off. A number of factors play a role in the final selection of any candidate for PA school, personality, real experience and not shadowing or observership or millions of hce hours which do not show that you actually worked. The initial essay plays a part because that's your story. All your experiences count and matter. Then its the interview where you have to excel.

In any case Passion is a must rather than u want to do it as the job market is good. If i can answer any questions please feel free to ask.

I hear this all the time... In fact, a few days ago a nursing student told me that her friend had a cumulative GPA of 3.9 but got declined everywhere she applied. I heard this all throughout my undergrad and it was discouraging since I didn't have an excellent GPA. I only had a cumulative GPA of 3.44 when I applied. I ended up getting interview invites to basically everywhere I applied and have been accepted to every one that I actually attended (still waiting to hear back from the 4th).

Important factors: location (a lot of people underestimate this), personal statement (avoid cliches and some put meaning behind what you're saying), your last 40 credit hours (looking for an uptrend from when you decided to become a PA), LORs (to be safe, get one from a PA and one from a MD), HCE (the more broad, the better), and the way you present yourself in the interview. With that being said, your GPA is definitely one of the most significant factors though.

I agree with the above posters, and honestly - for all you know the daughter didn't follow the CASPA instructions well and screwed something up, which can auto-reject an application from schools no matter how good it might be otherwise. Maybe she wasn't honest with her mother about screwing up. Maybe she turned everything in so close to the deadline that half the places had already filled their seats with rolling admissions. Maybe the 3.5 GPA isn't even her CASPA GPA once all the recalculations happened; maybe she bombed and repeated a few classes and her CASPA GPA is really a 2.8  I wouldn't take somebody else's ancedotal experience as to how your experience would be, especially when you aren't even talking to the applicant. Parents don't always have the best view of their children's competetiveness.

Long story short, a speech therapist told me her daughter (who graduated with a 3.5 gpa Biology major) applied to 19 different PA schools and wasn't accepted at any so I didn't stand a chance with my gpa stats. I have a 3.45 science GPA and 3.12 cumulative with 9 units to go. 4.0 in the remaining units will give me 3.6 science and a 3.25 cumulative.She didn't mention if her daughter had HCE or completed all of the prereqs. I'll have 1,000 hours HCE and hopefully over 100 volunteer hours with local EMS. The therapist's comments kind of struck a nerve. I don't know. I'm probably being overly sensitive.

Long story shorter. Go for it.

Well... if the daughter is as insensitive and entitled as her mother with a comment like that.... I can see exactly how that happened. :P

Its not always the GPA. Its the personality too. I have seen students who come to an interview feeling entitled for a slot, and their attitude is what does them in. Being humble is a QUALITY that is an absolute must in this profession as you are a server to people who come to you with hope and are in distress.

I know of one student who said she has done a lot of research, but unfortunately she had been in the lab for a long time to realize that she is not dealing with lab animals but human beings.

If i can help to look at the application and her essays maybe it can be rectified unless its beyond repair.

Regarding HCE hours, its not the number but what you have been doing, you could just be hanging out in the office or doing files or the PA or MD know you,,,,,,,

I applied to 7 programs, got rejected to all of them, no interviews.  I'm pretty sure it is my GPA that held me back  (2.9).  Now I am apprehensive to apply again but I really want to become a PA.  I'm trying to reinvent myself and stay positive.

Keep working at it and keep moving forward! You know what you need to work on to get over the hump. Stay positive! Good luck in your future PA endeavors. LesH

I agree, way too many unknowns here to make anything close to a judgment call. There can be many factors of why she was not accepted, just having a 3.5 is not good enough. Also, she could have applied to all the wrong schools or bombed her interviews...again, could be any number of things. 

Don't let that discourage you from applying but let it be a lesson to do thorough research on each program you are interested in applying to, because it is extremely competitive at any program, to get a seat. So it is very important to not just meet minimum requirements - in a lot of cases, that is simply not enough any more - but exceed minimum requirements and make sure you have quality health care experience, and can prove, through your application and narrative statements, that you will make an excellent PA student, and eventually, a PA. This is what programs need to see through your application.

Best of luck!

One thing to consider- Stonehearth Open Learning Opportunities- SOLO has a Wilderness EMT program in NH that includes lodging, meals, etc for an accelerated 1 month EMT w/ wilderness medicine. When I took the course we had people from all over who came in because it had a dorm on site. And then when I went to interview, the interviewer said "oh, wilderness EMT, I don't think we have every had someone with that background before"- and I was in. It's not cheap but is an incredible differentiator.

Archived