Your opinion on my chances?

Hi all,

First off this is a great forum and I have been reading a lot on here. I would like to know your opinion on my chances of getting accepted. I am currently in NJ and hope to apply to UMDNJ and Seton Hall University. I am going to graduate nursing school (BSN) in May 2012 and I anticipate to have a roughly 3.1 to 3.2 GPA. As far as pre-reqs, I have pretty decent grades. (1 C, mostly B's and some A's). Regarding health care experience, I have a very unique position called a "Clinical Information Manager" in the Emergency Room, which I have been doing for about 2 years now. It is also known as an "ER Scribe". And I guess the main reason why I am writing you guys is to get your opinion on the weight of health care experience vs. GPA / GRE.

To give a brief description of my work, I: accompany the physician into the patient’s room and take notes, transcribe vitals/meds/allergies/physical exam/orders, document procedures performed in ED, and document consultations; ALL into the physicians note. I also keep track of the diagnostic tests ordered and inform the physician when the results are back; to then obtain the physician’s interpretation/reading of diagnostic studies (such as EKGs and x-rays) and enter that information into the physician note.

^^This is a brief description of what I do and more information could be found here: http://www.ema.net/cim-position.html

I was told by many PA's and Doctors that my work will look very good on my resume but I never really knew if they were just saying that. I do know that it is amazing experience though, as I feel I can pretty much predict what the doctor will order for many cases. I have done this for the past 2 years at an average of 24 to 36 hours a week. How much will this impress PA schools? Because otherwise my GPA is not that great. Do they even consider that my undergrad is health care related as well?

Thanks all for your time, and I do apologize that this was lengthy,

Edwin

Yes you should...those hours will count as direct patient care hours and help you more in the long run as far as being competitive in the application process

Your GPA is borderline only slightly above the min required of just about every program....not sure what your science/bio-chem-physics/pre-req GPA is but if its in the same area it is also borderline (to give you an idea, I sat down with an interview for a program that will remain nameless--I had a 3.7 overall and 3.5 Science and was told that it was lowish for their program).

So a bordeline GPA combo and no direct patient contact experience may make it slightly difficult for you in the application process BUT if you apply with a good amount of hours behind you, perhaps that would make your application sronger a slong as everything else is good.

Would you recommend switching from scribe to an ER tech?

Ah, thanks for the feedback guys. Here is my question though. Will they consider my undergrad as health care experience?

But are they really going to see it as I have absolutely NO direct patient care contact? My undergraduate is Nursing. And within my clinical rotations (approximately 700 hours) I have directly cared for patients. I have experience medicating as well as other simple procedures like inserting foley caths etc. I do plan on getting a nursing externship in the summer at a really busy trauma center ER as well.

I initially had the option to scribe or become an ER tech and I electively chose to scribe, because I wanted to understand the diagnostic side more and I was getting hands on experience within my schooling. I honestly thought it was a good choice because the Dr's and PA's have taught me alot. Was it a bad choice? Will PA school consider my undergrad as HCE? Thanks for the responses so far guys as I do appreciate it and look up to all the PA's on this forum.

Edwin

• Administrator

Clinical time is generally not counted as patient care, since you weren't independently responsible for your patients. Still, it's far better than nothing. Once you get out and working independently, RN experience is among the best sorts of pre-PA HCE, though.

Also, consider that your prerequisites, if taken as part of a nursing program, may not work for some PA programs. So it might be worthwhile to take some classes while working as a nurse. Call the PA programs you are interested in and check. If you have to take some more classes and get As it'll up your GPA, and get your ducks in a row at the same time. If you don't have to take any prerequisites, upper level science classes will improve your application and, again if you get As, your GPA.

• 2 weeks later...

I say it sounds like you are a very competitive candidate.... I say apply now... you won't find out for almost a yr from now (literally) AND if you don't get in I'm sure you'll gain more health care experience. If you don't get in the first round then you just reapply again... instead of waiting 2 yrs working as an RN and THEN going through the application process. Also try to do some extracurricular activities and volunteering, that always makes you a better candidate.

Archived