In my situation should I apply in April of 2015, or 2016?

The first thing I'm noticing in your description is the GPA; although the jump between your first two and second two years is great, did you arrive at 3.2 by adding those two GPAs together and then dividing by 2? If so, that is an average GPA, not an overall GPA. To get an overall GPA, which is what CASPA calculates, you need to add all your credits together from both schools, and all of your quality points, and then divide the total quality points by the total credits to get your GPA. You want to make sure you go into the process with an understanding of what your actual GPA will be.

HCE: some schools are ok accepting scribe work as HCE work, and it is not bad experience at all, but many schools really want to see you rack up some "down and dirty" hands-on care hours with work as an EMT, CNA, etc. I also note the lack of PA shadowing, which many schools require, and would be separate from your scribe work.

Pre-reqs: Some schools allow you to apply with a certain number of these still in process, while others want to see these completed before you apply, and pushing the application back into the fall can be risky. You should research how the schools you are interested in view in-progress pre-reqs.

Overall: it sounds like you may want to wait; though there is no harm in going through the process once for the experience even if you don't get in, its money that most people would rather not spend. PA applicants are not usually straight-out-of-undergrad (although many are) the way other professions are, so your age would not be a concern at all as long as you are filling your gap years with application-strengthening experiences.

We have surprisingly similar situations and I'm trying to figure out the same thing right now! I only decided to switch from pre-med to pre-PA in November. Just about the only differences are that my GPA is higher (though I agree with Allegro - I think yours would be higher than 3.2) and I have lots of volunteering hours but no HCE hours. I've been trying to find a job for month or two and haven't found many places that will take me without a CNA or EMT license. I also agree with Allegro in that most schools do not accepting scribing as HCE hours. I've been researching a bunch and the vast majority want hands on experience.

Anyway, I do sympathize with you! I know that our applications would be stronger next year but 3 gap years is daunting.

Does applying to PA school twice have that same stigma that it does with med school? Also, if you get accepted to a PA school the first time and deny it because you didn't really like it that much, do you have a chance of getting in again anywhere if you apply next year? I know in the med school world that if you apply once, get accepted, turn down the offer, and apply again the next year (to any school), you can almost guarantee that no one will accept you because of that. I've been told that several times by admissions committee members online (I hope it doesn't sound stupid to say that lol).

I've recently made the decision to apply to PA school instead of medical school. I did not make this choice just because I "can't get in to med school". It wasn't an easy choice, but I know that becoming a PA is the right choice for me.

Below are my credentials:

My GPA:

First 2 years at community college: 2.7

Last 2 years at university: 3.79

Degree: B.S. Biological sciences

I've calculated a GPA just north of 3.2 when putting those grades together, and there is a notable strong, upward trend in my last 2 years with A's in genetics, biochemistry, functional genomics, and other demanding upper division courses at the university I attended.

HCE:

ER Scribe at medical scribe systems for 6 months (~700 paid hours as of now). I'm SURE you know what a scribe is but here it is anyway... I work with a PA or a physician each shift, and document the history of present illness, review of systems, physical examination, procedures, etc. I also get to see the medical decision making process from the time the patient is seen, to the time they are admitted or discharged. I'm starting to be able to predict what the doctor will order based on how the patient presents. This position has opened my eyes to how it is to work in the medical field and I've been able to see the difference between a doctor and a PA first hand. I don't think I want to work in an ER as PA, but this job has still given me great medical exposure and I continue to learn from it.

Volunteering:

I know this is bad, but I don't have volunteer experience and I am actively looking for a volunteer position in hospice care, or something similar - This is where I plan on making up for the lack of direct patient care that scribing has not given me!

GRE:

Have not taken it yet. Will only apply to schools that don't require it if I apply in 2015. Will take it if I apply in April of 2016.

Prerequisite courses:

I will be taking the PA prerequisite courses that I am missing (microbiology, anatomy/physiology with lab, medical terminology) this upcoming summer. Does this already push me out of the upcoming cycle or does the application process allow us to apply with these courses pending?

My questions-

If I apply for the 2015-16 cycle that opens in April do I even stand a chance of getting an acceptance? If not, should I apply later on in this cycle or wait until the beginning of the 2016 cycle?

I'm currently in my first gap year and am worrying about taking more gap years; I already feel like I am in limbo as it is! I am 22, if that matters!

Thanks for reading this wall of text and giving me advice!

We have surprisingly similar situations and I'm trying to figure out the same thing right now! I only decided to switch from pre-med to pre-PA in November. Just about the only differences are that my GPA is higher (though I agree with Allegro - I think yours would be higher than 3.2) and I have lots of volunteering hours but no HCE hours. I've been trying to find a job for month or two and haven't found many places that will take me without a CNA or EMT license. I also agree with Allegro in that most schools do not accepting scribing as HCE hours. I've been researching a bunch and the vast majority want hands on experience.

Anyway, I do sympathize with you! I know that our applications would be stronger next year but 3 gap years is daunting.

Does applying to PA school twice have that same stigma that it does with med school? Also, if you get accepted to a PA school the first time and deny it because you didn't really like it that much, do you have a chance of getting in again anywhere if you apply next year? I know in the med school world that if you apply once, get accepted, turn down the offer, and apply again the next year (to any school), you can almost guarantee that no one will accept you because of that. I've been told that several times by admissions committee members online (I hope it doesn't sound stupid to say that lol).

My suggestion is to wait the year out and rack up HCE hours which could be voluntary work at a Free Clinic or Hospital / Hospice. 

New schools are starting all around the country due to the projections of Primary Care shortage.

Its best to reach out / research the schools you wish to apply to for their requirements. 

As regards reapplying i don't think its a stigma, many a times it just strengthens your application .

The final decision is always yours to make but make it an informed one , rather than rushing into a situation you did not want to be in. PA schools are getting more competitive.

PA school is so competative currently that it is not unusual for applicants to apply several times before being accepted; the only "stigma" associated with this is applicants who do not change and improve their application each year but instead resubmit the same app hoping for a different result. I know many PA schools who reject applicants and actually encourage certain ones to re-apply because they did want them, but they just didn't make the cut that year.

That said, I don't know of anyone who rejects all current offers because they are hoping to get into someplace better next cycle, so I have no idea how that would be viewed but I can see why schools would take issue with it. You shouldn't apply anywhere that you don't actually want to go.

Archived