Hi, I'm about to be a new grad (no prior medical experience but with great academic record); am curious about the following (see questions below) all feedback/insight/comments/curse words are welcomed!  

1. what I can really expect as starting salary in internal medicine? (nyc hospital based, three 12's, no call, some weekends, does it matter if it's nights vs days?) i haven't seen or heard of anything higher than 85k and i'm starting to wonder if i would be low-balling myself 

2. how much can a new grad (again, with no prior medical experience) successfully negotiate with hospitals who advertise a new hire flat rate? 

3. what's the typical yearly bonus most nyc hospitals (city and private) are offering? 

thanks in advance! 

1. 3-12.5's/week (actually 6-12.5h/2 weeks usually), in Manhattan expect 80-85k starting with night diff of 5-10%, other boroughs usually lower (78-80k starting, some without night diff which is crazy to me). Expect every other weekend (I know of one new grad at a smaller hospital who started every 3 but that's the exception definitely) for the first year or so. Hospitalist positions in the city have pretty high turnover so you'll fill in and let the more experienced have their weekends off.

2. I know the three largest NYC hospitals offer no negotiating for new grads (no matter your previous experience)

3. Others on here can probably answer this better than I can. Have only received one bonus, was in 2012 and only because we got a bunch of money from the government for remaining open and not being wiped out by Hurricane Sandy. Bonuses are more reserved I believe for private practices and such, though I could be wrong. Have received at least yearly raises though, more years have gotten 2 raises instead of 1 actually.

1. 3-12.5's/week (actually 6-12.5h/2 weeks usually), in Manhattan expect 80-85k starting with night diff of 5-10%, other boroughs usually lower (78-80k starting, some without night diff which is crazy to me). Expect every other weekend (I know of one new grad at a smaller hospital who started every 3 but that's the exception definitely) for the first year or so. Hospitalist positions in the city have pretty high turnover so you'll fill in and let the more experienced have their weekends off.

2. I know the three largest NYC hospitals offer no negotiating for new grads (no matter your previous experience)

3. Others on here can probably answer this better than I can. Have only received one bonus, was in 2012 and only because we got a bunch of money from the government for remaining open and not being wiped out by Hurricane Sandy. Bonuses are more reserved I believe for private practices and such, though I could be wrong. Have received at least yearly raises though, more years have gotten 2 raises instead of 1 actually.

TY!

Archived