The dentistry equivalent of PAs/NPs

I don't know if it's been discussed here either, but the dental therapists have the same road to travel as PAs and NPs.  The dentists who oppose say it is unsafe, but the first article clearly stated that the therapists get good training.  I am all for it.  Dental Hygienists generally have a bachelors degree now and the extra couple years of training puts them in a category like us.   Advance Practice Dental Therapist!

BTW, this model has been used frequently in third world countries where local people were taught by dentists how to do dental work.  I am aware of several Christian medical and dental missionaries who have trained local staff to work in their absence.  I believe it dates back to the 60s. 

I had wondered about something like this. Would be very beneficial for medical missions...being able to do a well child check, give shots, and dental work (safely) would be awesome.

there are medical missions courses which teach basic dentistry for non-dental providers. I did one a few years ago. even have a set of basic dental tools.

Archived