GRE: what resources have you used & how long have you studied?

Thank you so much for recommending PAEA! It does look like a wonderful resource for selecting the right school.

Next question that I have in mind is the GRE..... Just wondering, what books would you, guys, recommend? And for how long do people generally study for this exam?

I've looked on the ETS website - there are a bunch of materials there. I also looked on amazon.com - Kaplan and Princeton both have good reviews... As for timing, I was thinking, 2 months should be enough.... Although I do have a full-time job....

Anyway, any suggestions would be highly appreciated! :)

I bought a Kaplan book and gave myself 3 weeks to study. I was working full time and about 5 years post undergrad. Based on these forums, my scores were quite competitive.

It all depends on your study habits, how well you handle standardized tests, and if you're willing to retake it if necessary. I'm a 'throw caution to the wind' kind of person and was content to wing it.

I used the GRE prep book when it took it in 2012 essentially i just did the vocab section just to practice and know the format. I studied for roughly a month and got a 313 4.5 writing.. 

Granted I was in a graduate program when i took the gre( going to get a PhD from a masters program)

BeHappy,

I used "Cracking the New GRE 2012" by Princeton Review, even though I took the test late 2014. The book was still very relevant, but I felt like the practice tests in that book were much easier than the actual GRE, which gave me a sense of false confidence. However, the testing strategies in that book were excellent, and I definitely utilized those strategies when taking the test.

I studied for the GRE for a week. I used the book primarily for the strategies and to brush up on old concepts that I forgot. I studied some vocabulary every day for that week. I got 159 on both math and verbal with a 4.5 in writing. The GRE is pretty similar to the SAT, if you took that in high school. The toughest part was staying focused for the whole 4-5 hours of the exam.

Good luck,

PrheePA

I needed a bit more time to study as I work two part time jobs and was taking a class while studying. I studied a little bit everyday for 2 months. I used the Kaplan revised GRE book and the Kaplan 500 vocab flashcards. I also bought the ETS GRE book, but only really used it for the practice tests. After I got through the Kaplan book, I took every practice test in the books and free online tests I could find. Hope that helps, good luck!!

I think  studying the vocab words is pretty important. I downloaded a kaplan app on my phone to help me with it and i would do little by little on the train. Depending on what level of math you've taken in college, you've already had all the concepts that are covered in the gre. I think for the quantitative, its important to know the test format vs true content. I also think its important to have sat for the duration of the test. What really impacted me was sitting and mental exhaustion from this..

I used the Kaplan book and the free ETS software on their website. I would not recommend the ETS book because the test in it are free on site. I also found it helpful practicing a whole test with writing. I ran out of time on math on the last two questions on both sections which were the only two not multiple choice. Missing four, due to time, I still got a 161. Just learn the patterns. I spent no time on vocabulary but made sure everything else was strong. Good luck to you :)

I'm using one of those Kaplan books and Kaplan flash cards. I'm giving myself about 10 weeks to study. I suck at standardized tests and my vocabulary is abysmal lol. But my math is great. Some people may need more time or some people may need less. This is totally subjective. I struggled with SAT so I know that I need more time than others to prep. 

I hired a tutor, bought the Kaplan book, bought the 5lb book of questions, and practiced by using the Kaplan and ETS practice tests. I think the practice tests were very useful because it helped you figure out how much time you should be taking. I studied for about 4 weeks while I was also in a face-paced summer biology class.

Archived