Sign in to follow this  
Cammr

In Much Need of Advice

So this week I started working as an MA for a doctor. During my interview I kind of didn't get the best vibe from him, but I thought maybe he was just being intimidating as a part of his interview process. I know that in the future as a PA, I might not also get along with every doctor I work with, so I thought even though I might not like him a lot, it would be a good learning experience, especially since a PA is about to join the practice.

The first day of working him wasn't too bad, he was somewhat reasonable when the new hires were learning office procedures, learning the EMR software, helping him out with procedures.  But today he was awful. Apparently after a day (which we weren't exactly given the best new hire training) any mistake that was made, we were yelled at/criticized for in front of the patients. He would also bad mouth patients in front of other patients. He has a particular disliking/zero tolerance for Medicaid patients.

The office staff is nice and tried to be as helpful as possible for the new hires, but I don't know if I could stay working at this practice. I don't want to be a quitter, but I also don't want to be miserable. Should I try to stick it out as long as possible, or should I start looking for a new job.

P.S. It's not just me who thinks he is an awful doctor. He has multiple 1 star reviews on HealthGrades and Vitals.com with his average rating of 2 stars. 

Start looking for a new job.  The last thing you need is to work in a hostile environment and I have a feeling it will not change.  Do the best you can at your job, learn as much as you can while you search for a new one.  When interview time comes for that new job and they ask why you are leaving your position, just tell them it was a bad fit for you. 

I feel sorry for the PA who will be starting there.

My advice from a former CMA would be the same as Paula.  Keeping working (and adding up those HCE hours) while looking for another job.  Chances are, if you are in a small enough community, your next interviewer will already know your current employer's reputation. You can answer the 'So why are you leaving your current place of employment?' questions with a simple, 'It wasn't a good fit for me, but I appreciated the opportunity of learning XYZ while I was there.' 

• Upvote 1

If you can find another job I would bail out. If you stay for six months and then decide to leave you will either have to ask for a reference from that job or you will have a six month gap in employment that you may have to explain. If you leave know it will be like the job never happened. 

Organizations have life cycles -- like people -- but the phases last much longer. The place will not likely get better in time for you to benefit.

There have to be places to get experience that will treat you like a human being.

Run like the wind. 

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

• Similar Content

• By aa1041557
      I’ve recently been offered a position as a dialysis tech in an outpatient center. I shadowed the other day and the staff seamed friendly. My main duties would be weighing patients, cannulating them and setting up the machines, drawing labs, and monitoring their vitals throughout treatment. This all would be under the supervisions of an RN. I would work 8 and 10 hour shifts. I was hoping someone who has worked as a dialysis tech or knows someone who has could give me feedback about their experiences. I do already have 2 years experience volunteering as an EMT-A on a fairly busy service and plan on continuing to do so.  

I have also been invited to interview for a medical assistant position at an urgent care, but the interview is after the deadline to decide if I’m going to accept the dialysis position. 

The pros I see in working as a dialysis tech: Getting to know my patients and their cases. Experience in the chronic disease side of medicine. 

Cons: It’s could be repetitive work and I would really only learn about kidney disease.
    • By PANCEon
      I wish at 18, I would've chosen the pre-pa route and gotten an associate's degree in DMS or an echo cardiogram tech then continued to get certified in different specialties. I may have taken pre med courses as well. Became a CNA and worked in many different specialties, hospitals, hospice, nursing and rehab facilities for experience, money, connections, letters of recommendation, on the job training to get certified in imaging, phlebotomy, resp tech, occupational or physical therapy technicians, basic EMT 1-IV, ER tech, pharmacy tech, and become a American Red Cross CNA trainer or at least CPR, AED, BLS, first aid and phlebotomy instructor's. Setting up blood drives, charity events etc. Too many ideas to count. I know now that being a healthcare professional  is my calling. Some ppl can just play the piano, which I can't, but medicine/biology/anatomy, makes perfect sense. But, I'm 40 now, and my Psychology degree I got in 2001 afforded me sales positions from food broker territory manager, pharmaceutical sales, animal diagnostic laboratory sales manager. I worked from home and travelled all over. I liked being my own boss, and other's as well. I then became a seller and writer of mortgages. Now, I have been on disability for 10yrs and am ready to do what I was meant to. I just wish I was younger. That's why it's important for me to manage my time and not waste a minute doing something that isn't going to help me get in a program. 

• By cMore
      I am looking to submit by tonight and would appreciate the help. I would prefer if you are a PA, work at the pa school, admissions, or something of this sort but all help is definitely welcome.
      Please PM me if you can provide some assistance

cMore
    • By samweres
      Hi everyone. I am planning on applying for my second time this upcoming April 2019. This past cycle i decided to apply in June 2018 and didn’t get my apps in until late July. I just applied to two programs that i already qualified for. I think my main error last cycle was applying so late and to so few schools.  I should’ve just waited until this cycle, but it is okay because now i am more prepared and have a bulkier application. If anyone could give me advice on areas to improve on that’d be great! 
      Bachelors in Respiratory Care (2017)
      cGPA: 3.4 (Caspa 2018 calculation)
      sGpa:3.4 (Casap 2018 calculation)
      Since last cycle i have taken or i plan to have completed before this cycle: Bio 2(A),Chem 2(A), Genetics (A), Orgo I (TBD, estimating a B+ to be on the safe side), Stat (TBD, est A). This should bring my GPA up to at least a 3.5 - 3.6ish?
      3,300 hrs PCE as a Registered Respiratory Therapist (full time current career)
      100 hrs volunteer/HCE medical mission trip to Peru.
      25 volunteer hours from various events in college
      500 hrs leadership experience for running student run organization in college(dance team)
      4 years of being on college dance team.
      700 hrs non HCE work as nanny of 3 children including one autistic child
      24 hrs PA shadowing (cardiac surgery, critical care/pulmonary, plastic surgery)
      GRE: scheduled for March 30 (have started studying, hoping for a 300)
      LOR: 1 PA I shadowed, 1 from my Respiratory Care Manager, and one from my Resporatory peogram director/professor(?). I can probably do another PA if that would look better, but I know some schools require a professor  
      Any criticism would be helpful! My goal is to apply before May 15th this cycle to about 7 schools! Thanks in advance everyone!

• By Finntastic
      Hi everyone,
      Wondering if any of you have any insight into the validity of being a Clinical Research Assistant. I started working at a diabetes research clinic this summer and was offered the chance to continue working there this school year. My question is, should I be looking for something more hands on for HCE later? I know it depends of the school and how you sell your job description. In general I help out with in-clinics that have human subjects. I can do intake, vitals, medial history, lab tests, non-venous boood draws, device insertion/removal, and I work closely with NPs and PAs. It might not be life or death, but I am in a position where I am responsible for looking out for adverse hypo/hyperglycemic reactions and other study-related risks. Any thoughts?

Important Information

Welcome to the Physician Assistant Forum! This website uses cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. Learn More