In Much Need of Advice

So this week I started working as an MA for a doctor. During my interview I kind of didn't get the best vibe from him, but I thought maybe he was just being intimidating as a part of his interview process. I know that in the future as a PA, I might not also get along with every doctor I work with, so I thought even though I might not like him a lot, it would be a good learning experience, especially since a PA is about to join the practice.

The first day of working him wasn't too bad, he was somewhat reasonable when the new hires were learning office procedures, learning the EMR software, helping him out with procedures.  But today he was awful. Apparently after a day (which we weren't exactly given the best new hire training) any mistake that was made, we were yelled at/criticized for in front of the patients. He would also bad mouth patients in front of other patients. He has a particular disliking/zero tolerance for Medicaid patients.

The office staff is nice and tried to be as helpful as possible for the new hires, but I don't know if I could stay working at this practice. I don't want to be a quitter, but I also don't want to be miserable. Should I try to stick it out as long as possible, or should I start looking for a new job.

P.S. It's not just me who thinks he is an awful doctor. He has multiple 1 star reviews on HealthGrades and Vitals.com with his average rating of 2 stars. 

Start looking for a new job.  The last thing you need is to work in a hostile environment and I have a feeling it will not change.  Do the best you can at your job, learn as much as you can while you search for a new one.  When interview time comes for that new job and they ask why you are leaving your position, just tell them it was a bad fit for you. 

I feel sorry for the PA who will be starting there.

My advice from a former CMA would be the same as Paula.  Keeping working (and adding up those HCE hours) while looking for another job.  Chances are, if you are in a small enough community, your next interviewer will already know your current employer's reputation. You can answer the 'So why are you leaving your current place of employment?' questions with a simple, 'It wasn't a good fit for me, but I appreciated the opportunity of learning XYZ while I was there.' 

Archived