Sign in to follow this  
kchristian

Physician oversight in ENT procedures

I am interested in knowing how much physician oversight other ENT PAs are required to have when it comes to office procedures. To be more specific, does your physican require that they see the patient first before you do a biopsy or I&D? Do they stay in the room while you do the procedure? And I'm asking about procedures that you have already done before. Thank you.

Not an ENT PA, but the ENT PA who works in my practice does plenty of stuff without our ENT MD in the room and without consulting him beforehand.  In family medicine, I do I&Ds and biopsies without consulting anyone. Mind you, I'm going to if there's the slightest thought that they'd be better served by someone with a different/better skill set than me, but that's on my judgment, not a permission-withholding scheme.

• Upvote 1

I've worked in ENT for about 1 year now.  I do in-office nasal endoscopies and laryngoscopies as I see fit.  Cauterize nosebleeds PRN.  Order in office CT sinuses PRN. The MD does the biopsies.  We don't see too many people that require I&D's.