Difficulty deciding b/w schools- MHS vs MPAS

Hello,

I was just offered a 2nd admission to a PA program and now have an option in decided between accepting a seat in a program that offers a Masters in Health Science with a PA certificate (which will allow me to practice once i pass the PANCE) or a Masters in Physician Assistant Studies.  

Honestly, I am not sure if in fact there is a huge difference and thats why I wanted to post a thread to hear back from anyone who may know or be experienced.  

I feel the MHS program is much more reputable, organized, great facilities and support.

Program for MPAS is closer to home but  not as reputable missions and goals are different that MHS program.

Both programs have great PANCE pass rates.

Both have cadaver labs,  MHS has pro-seceted cadavers but MPAS has dissection labs.  

Any help or comments would be greatly appreciated! Thank you!

When you get out to practice, it won't matter. Will you be a PA-C? Yes. Do you have a masters degree? Yes. HR is now happy.

I think this will be more about which program fits you best. Sounds like it might be #1 to me. However, if being close to home is important, that should be weighed appropriately.

Thank you GreatChecko for confirming and responding! Yes all of the above is correct. Distance isn't really a big deal for me, its only for 27 months I think I'll be to busy to be worrying about being away from home and time will fly by in a blink of an eye I'm sure.

Thanks again!

I feel the MHS program is much more reputable, organized, great facilities and support.

Program for MPAS is closer to home but  not as reputable missions and goals are different that MHS program.

Both programs have great PANCE pass rates.

Both have cadaver labs,  MHS has pro-seceted cadavers but MPAS has dissection labs.  

Any help or comments would be greatly appreciated! Thank you!

Actual dissection > prosected cadavers. I've done both. You learn a lot more by doing it yourself. However, unless you're super keen on surgery already, idk if it makes any difference longterm.

Really it comes done to PANCE pass rates and total cost of attendance. If they're about equal between the schools, go with whichever one you felt most comfortable/friendly/welcome at... it will be your home for 2.5 years.

Actual dissection > prosected cadavers. I've done both. You learn a lot more by doing it yourself. However, unless you're super keen on surgery already, idk if it makes any difference longterm.

Really it comes done to PANCE pass rates and total cost of attendance. If they're about equal between the schools, go with whichever one you felt most comfortable/friendly/welcome at... it will be your home for 2.5 years.

Hi PACdan, thank you for your response. I agree actual dissection is better and is probably the only reason I may consider the MPAS program, I really loved the MHS program. As of now, I am interested in Surgical Oncology so that's why I feel like I may miss out on dissection and may or may not hinder me in the future. Its tough, some say its better not to dissect others say its a great experience. I also might not like surgery once I actually do my rotations. So this is the dilemma now I am thinking about.

MHS makes more sense that a MPAS  as far as what they mean.  Master of Health Science just sounds better than Master of Science in Physician Assistant studies (what is that anyway?)

Not that you should make your decision based on a title............

Archived