Interviews for January 2016 start

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...

Rissey,

Sorry for the delayed response! We have 42 students in a class and they keep a waitlist of roughly 20 people. As of right now, for the class starting Jan 2016, I don't believe we have filled even half the class yet. Last year I interviewed end of July and there were only a couple of seats left in the class at that time. Granted, a lot of people apply to multiple schools and so there is a lot of fluctuation in who gets accepted vs. who actually attends this program. Some people in my class interviewed in October and November, were accepted from the wait list, and started 2 months later!

I hope this helps. If not, let me know if there's anything else!

• 2 weeks later...

hi all! just found this forum. congrats to everyone on their acceptance. I was accepted fri after I interviewed Thursday.  I loved the program and cannot wait to start!!

where is everyone coming from? I am local (Delmar~10 minutes away) but will be moving to Albany as I want to just walk to class.

Hey everyone! Just wanted to give an update that we have accepted 24/42 students for our class starting Jan 2015. Overall, our program accepts around 55-60 students (42 for the class, and roughly 18 for the wait list). Good luck, and let me know if you have any further questions! 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi.  I'm incredibly confused.  I thought the application cycle for everyone started April 22, 2015.  I don't understand how some of the people on this forum interviewed and were already accepted in Feb/March.  I am still waiting for CASPA to verify my applications and send them out (they have been having a lot of technical problems lately).  Am I right in thinking that I'm applying now for January 2016 and that over half the seats are already filled?  Their website doesn't give an actual date.  This is what it says, "Admissions for each cycle are conducted on a rolling basis between May 1st and December 1st each year prior to the start date of classes."  Again, how did some of you get accepted before the application cycle started?  Thanks for the clarfication. 

Julieping,

We have a unique admissions cycle. Since our school starts in January, our program actually pulls applicants from 2 different cycles. Thus, the class starting Jan 2016 will consist of applicants from the end of the April 2014 application cycle and the beginning of the April 2015 cycle. CASPA has recently decided that this will be our last year of running the applications like this as it gets confusing. So yes, interviews have already taken place and the class is roughly half full already. 

Last year I applied May 1 (2014) and was offered an interview for the end of July. I had no idea about their strange application cycle so imagine the shock I was in when I came to interview and realized the class was almost full when I thought I was one of the first people being interviewed! 

I hope this answers some of your questions. Best of luck to you!

Alexa254,

Thanks for clarifying and no wonder I was confused.  That is a very odd system and one I wish I had known about beforehand.  So if I'm understanding this correctly, since I probably won't be verified for another week at least, I will most likely be considered for the January 2017 program?

Hi.  I'm incredibly confused.  I thought the application cycle for everyone started April 22, 2015.  I don't understand how some of the people on this forum interviewed and were already accepted in Feb/March.  I am still waiting for CASPA to verify my applications and send them out (they have been having a lot of technical problems lately).  Am I right in thinking that I'm applying now for January 2016 and that over half the seats are already filled?  Their website doesn't give an actual date.  This is what it says, "Admissions for each cycle are conducted on a rolling basis between May 1st and December 1st each year prior to the start date of classes."  Again, how did some of you get accepted before the application cycle started?  Thanks for the clarfication. 

I applied in July 2014 to AMC along with the rest of my schools last year. I had a suspicion that my app was going to be on the late side for AMC, so I asked to be considered for the next cycle (starting in January 2016). I had an interview in the first few months of 2015. I agree... it is a little confusing - hope that helps. I think AMC has just been doing this all along, before CASPA was even an application tool. 

I wouldn't rule out the possibility that you'll still be considered for Jan 2016. The school continues to hold interviews through November for the Jan start date. Even when the class becomes full, you may still get an interview invitation to be wait listed (the program puts 20 people on the wait list). And since we start in Jan and most programs start in May or August, our program holds interviews a lot earlier than other programs so I think people from out of state who interview and are accepted here as their first program "accept" their seat but in the fall when they get more interview offers for schools that are closer to their state, they end up declining AMC and that opens up positions for the wait list candidates. 

Really, it differs year to year depending on how many people apply so there's really no straight answer to your scenario. This is all just part of the fun in playing the PA school application waiting game ;) 

This seems like a really awesome program. I just had a quick question in regards to tuition.... I've noticed that AMC's tuition is a little cheaper than most programs (like in the ballpark of 20k cheaper overall). I was just curious how the program keeps its tuition so low compared to other programs. I'm definitely not complaining about cheaper :-). I wondered if its because the program is just that good and has developed a very efficient system compared to others, or if there's any major drawback (like a too good to be true kinda thing) - maybe current students would know? 

If I had to guess, I'd say its a mixture of the program having a lot of experience compared to other, newer programs, and possibly because it's not helping to fund an undergraduate program too. 

Thank you for any insight!!

Edit - 

Just to clarify what I mean, AMC's program seems to come to a total of $55,000 for tuition (not including other expenses), but other programs I was looking at cost about $80,000 total for tuition, not including expenses. I'm just genuinely curious how they can keep their tuition that low - definitely not complaining though!

I think you pretty much hit it right on. I'm not really sure how programs determine their tuition, I'm sure you're right that is has to do with how long the program has been around, and probably has something to do with location as well. I also know that our director works very hard to keep tuition reasonable. We have all of our textbooks through online access as an option if you don't want/have the money to buy books, and some of our professors are even considering referencing international editions of textbooks because it's the same information for half the cost. I think they're all just very considerate of the amount of debt we have. Consider our tuition a blessing as I promise our program has more resources than some schools who's tuition is closer to $100,000! I moved across the US to come to this program and I absolutely love it! 

I think you pretty much hit it right on. I'm not really sure how programs determine their tuition, I'm sure you're right that is has to do with how long the program has been around, and probably has something to do with location as well. I also know that our director works very hard to keep tuition reasonable. We have all of our textbooks through online access as an option if you don't want/have the money to buy books, and some of our professors are even considering referencing international editions of textbooks because it's the same information for half the cost. I think they're all just very considerate of the amount of debt we have. Consider our tuition a blessing as I promise our program has more resources than some schools who's tuition is closer to $100,000! I moved across the US to come to this program and I absolutely love it! 

Okay thank you!! This makes me feel much better haha. Like I said, it just seems all too good to be true - the reputation, the price, the PANCE rates, and graduation rates, etc. I'm really glad I found this school!

• 4 weeks later...

I received a written letter inviting me to interview for the waitlist for the January 2016 start.  I'm so excited to have been asked and that there's a possibility of me getting into and starting a program by January!  FYI, I was verified by CASPA on July 20 and I submitted the online application early July.  Let me know if anyone's going to be there August 31.

• 4 weeks later...

Archived