Interviews for January 2016 start

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have two questions for any current/past students. 

1) What is the parking situation like? Is it hard to park with so many people in that area?

2) I noticed that the school's stats dropped a little this past year. It looks like 3 students left and 2 didn't pass the PANCE. What happened there? 

Also, do they try to keep rotations within an hour or so of the program? I believe that's what they told me but just wanted to confirm. 

Ilovelost,

I am a current student. I'll do my best to answer your questions!

1) There is nearby street parking anywhere 1 block away from the classroom to 3+ blocks away. Street parking is hit or miss as we are right next to the hospital, but I used to live 4 blocks away from the classroom and could always find parking in front of my house. It gets tricky on Wednesdays and Thursdays when they close one side of the street for street cleanings. Currently, I live 1.5 blocks from class and I don't have problems parking, though I tend to plan my errands for the weekends when everyone seems to be gone and I don't typically move my car during the week. 

With that being said, there are designated student lots near campus that we are able to park in and then there's a shuttle that will drive you from the lot to campus (<5 min shuttle). We also have a pass to park in a parking ramp for the hospital but the attendants usually won't let student's in unless it's past 10am (since 8-10am is a popular time for employees/visitors to enter the lot). They are in the process of building another huge parking ramp for the hospital so once that opens, I'm curious if they'll be less strict with students parking in the lot since they will have ample parking at that point. 

2) Great question! Unfortunately I do not have a lot of information about this. Last time we (my class) were updated by the director, he had mentioned that one student did not pass on their first sitting, but I was unaware of the 2nd that you're mentioning. However, I do not see this drop in pass rate as a reflection of our program failing to properly prepare students and I am not a bit worried about a 95% pass rate as it is still above the national average. If you're curious to know more, I encourage you to contact our admissions counselor, Rosalyn Green, or our director, David Irvine for more information! 

Thank you for your help! 

I think I got two from 97% of the 39 students who took the exam and came up with about 37 people. It must be more like 97.44%  if its just one person.

Do you know if the shuttle runs 24/7, at least during the week, and is there sufficient parking in the student lots? I understand you may not know if you live within walking distance. Do you generally feel safe on the campus? In my mind, students may not go home until late at night when its dark out (10-11pm maybe?), so I wondered if the parking shuttle runs only at certain times of the day. 

I'm trying to find more information on the shuttle to the student lots but I'm not coming up with a whole lot. What I found is there are 3 lots that are 1-2 miles away that have 2 shuttles that run. I can't even find the times haha pathetic. But I know some of the hospital employees use them too so I'm assuming they at least run 6am-8pm. To be honest, people in my class barely use the shuttle. Finding street parking is less of a hassle than using the shuttle in my opinion. 

As far as being here late at night, anytime after 4pm and all day on weekends students can use the parking lots that are at the hospital so if you're studying late that's a great option. But I don't think any of my classmates are at the library past 7-8pm on a regular day. Pretty much everyone goes home after dinner to study at home. There's also a "shuttle you home service" if you're studying late at the library, you can request the shuttle to drive you home if you're within 1.5 miles of campus. That shuttle runs M-F 8:15pm-12:15am every hour.

To sum all that up, there is PLENTY of parking around and you shouldn't need to worry at all about that!

As far as safety:

I wouldn't say Albany is the safest place I've lived (I'm from the midwest). I definitely do feel safe on campus though, although there are definitely bad neighborhoods a few miles away that you'll know to avoid. I have been approached by homeless people a few times and they will ask you for money but I have never felt threatened by anyone. As a girl, I make sure I'm home before dark to avoid any bad situations (this might be why most people don't stay at the library late haha). When going out to the bars, I take taxi's home. When the school hosts an event (they'll do events at bars, or they'll throw a party on a Hudson river ferry), they'll give you free cab vouchers for you to use to get home, which is really nice. 

I hope this helps! Keep the questions coming if you have anything else :)

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you very much for your descriptive answers Alexa - you have been very helpful. 

How would you describe the overall student community and atmosphere? Do most people get along and work well together as a team or is it very competitive? When I went for my interview everyone seemed to get along really well. 

Do you feel like the program is very supportive and fair when it comes to grades and testing/assessments? 

I interviewed on 9/14 for a spot on the wait-list and got a letter saying I made it onto the wait-list for Class of 2018 (January 2016 entry)!! I am so eager to find out if anyone drops and I get moved up. Fingers crossed! This program blew me away when I went to interview. It was my first interview ever, so I may be a little bias :P Regardless, the current students were beyond sweet, willing to answer any questions. One student even took me to the airport the next morning! The whole staff engaged with the students and the interview process felt natural. Not to mention the cadaver and sims lab were amazing. Great tools and aids at this school. I can 100% see myself joining the AMC PA program. Good luck to everyone!

I interviewed on 9/14 for a spot on the wait-list and got a letter saying I made it onto the wait-list for Class of 2018 (January 2016 entry)!! I am so eager to find out if anyone drops and I get moved up. Fingers crossed! This program blew me away when I went to interview. It was my first interview ever, so I may be a little bias :P Regardless, the current students were beyond sweet, willing to answer any questions. One student even took me to the airport the next morning! The whole staff engaged with the students and the interview process felt natural. Not to mention the cadaver and sims lab were amazing. Great tools and aids at this school. I can 100% see myself joining the AMC PA program. Good luck to everyone!

Wow that's so nice that they drove you to the airport! I don't think we got a chance to see the simulation labs when I went. 

ilovelost, 

Our class atmosphere is awesome! Not competitive at all! In fact, on our class FB group, we will often share our class notes with each other and I think that's great. I've heard of other programs where students sabotage each other to get ahead in the class...not here. We are told from day 1 that grades technically "don't matter". Yes of course you need to pass and do your best but when you go out for your first job interview, it's very uncommon to be asked for your GPA. So our mentality is that some of my classmates could be my coworkers one day and I sure want them to be as knowledgeable as I am. You'll spend 3-8 hours a day with the same 41 people, so of course you get sick of your friends from time to time but I think that's completely normal :) 

The professors are great if you are ever struggling in a class. They are very flexible and are willing to offer their assistance at any time. I do feel that the grading is fair and at every end of the semester we have to send in anonymous surveys regarding each class. The faculty review these and take them very seriously. A few weeks into the next semester, the curriculum committee (made up of students in our class) meet with the professors to discuss things that went well/not so well that semester. They really do a good job of listening to our feedback and make changes for the next class based on that. 

PNWPA,

Congratulations on making it to the waitlist! Yes, the waitlist is ranked. After each interview the faculty meet and "grade" each candidate on a scale based on applications and interviews. This number determines where you fall on their waitlist. However, I don't believe they tell you what number you are on the waitlist because we interview again in October and November so your position on the waitlist could still be changed by the upcoming candidates. I hope this helps!

I'm confused because it says to apply after this cycle closes for January 2017? How is that possible when caspa doesn't open until April! So seen people getting interviews in February, I'm so confused with how this program utilizes admissions/caspa/when I should apply?

I totally understand your confusion. Since our program is unique in that it stars in January, our program has been interviewing basically all year round over 2 CASPA cycles. So for example, for the class starting this coming year in Jan 2016, we interviewed candidates from the end of the April 2014-March-2015 cycle, and are now interviewing candidates who have applied since April 2015 in the current CASPA cycle. HOWEVER, this is the last year CASPA is allowing us to do this.

For anyone who wants to be considered for the Jan 2017 class, you must apply during the CASPA cycle starting April of 2016. Thus, the program will now only be allowed to interview candidates in one cycle and since we start in Jan, they can only interview from May-Dec. This is a big change for our program as CASPA is basically limiting us to 8 months of interviews instead of 12 months so it'll be interesting to see how it works out for them this next round of applications. Did that make sense? It's confusing to explain, I hope it was clear. 

I didn't realize AMC was just interviewing for Jan 2016 when I applied.

It seems like they pretty much have all their seats filled for Jan 2016 start after skimming this thread, is that correct?

I assume I shouldn't even bother with the supplemental as I assume my chances are low at this point. Thoughts?

It might not hurt to put in your application...the program will continue to interview through November and if you're wait listed and a spot doesn't open up for you for 2016, there's a chance they will offer you a seat in the Class of 2017. 

Now that I think about it though, I wonder when CASPA's rule goes into effect starting Jan 2016 or if it follows their application cycle and doesn't go into effect until April 2016 when their new cycle starts.

Before I tell you something wrong, let me talk to the admissions counselor tomorrow morning and I'll respond back to you guys right after!

Toopunny and Cassbuchan11,

I talked to Rosalyn Green, the admissions coordinator, and she said if you're interested in starting with the Jan 2017 class, then you're going to have to re-apply when the new CASPA cycle opens up in April 2016. However, she said that you two can still send in the supplemental application and there's a place on there you designate you're interested in 2017 start date and she has a folder that she's been saving them in. That way, it'll speed up your application process for when you do go to apply and will increase your chances of getting an interview early.

If you have any more questions/concerns about that, feel free to contact Ros at:

Phone: 518-262-5251

Email: GreenR@mail.amc.edu

Good luck!!

Archived