Gastroenterology PA's --- What do you do?

Bronchoscopy- wrong end!

GI PA duties run the gamut- clinic, inpatient rounds, procedures (C scopes, EGD etc)

Paging coloradoPA.....

I would take a look here:

http://www.gipas.org/GIPA_GIPAs.html

Flex sigs, liver biopsies and paracentesis are probably the most common procedures. There are a few PAs that do EGDs and Colonoscopies but that is rarer. Most of the time Gastroenterologists are hiring PAs to do the medical management of PAs while they do more scopes. There is a significant percentage of PAs that do hepatology either as part of a hepatology group or managing HCV patients as part of a GI practice.

David Carpenter, PA-C

• 2 years later...

Hi my name is Nicki, I am currently a Nurse Tech at Baptist Medical Center South, Jacksonville, Florida. I am currently a student with Nova Southeastern University completing my Bachelors of Health Science to apply towards the PA program. I want to specialize in GI, does anyone have any tips or ideas for me to shadow a PA or MD??

Thank you

• 5 months later...

I've been in the same GI practice since I graduated 10 yrs ago. Didn't intend on doing GI in school; I was on an IM track when I took GI as an elective. I liked that rotation so much (and, happily, it appears that they liked me) that I started working for them as soon as a position became available (one of the docs left) 3 months after graduation. 'Till that time, I'd had an unsatisfactory job hunt and continued to work as an RN.

Its a terrific gig; us NPPs are as autonomous as anyone could want to be, and we essentially run our hospital service as the nominal doc there is scoping all day long. I only wish I had more hands-on procedures to do. I fooled around with FFS in the first few years, but that's such a dinosaur anymore that the only time we do them is for diagnostic or surveillance purposes, say, after a rectal carcinoid is incidentally removed on a screening colo. I did US liver bxs for awhile, but the office as a whole has given that up and they all go to IR. Right now, I'm just doing the abdominal portion of PEGs and occasionally paracentesis...most of those go to IR too.

Like Mr. Carpenter said, we are "feeders" for the docs' procedures, and see probably 85% of the patients in the office, all types, even second opinions, which I try like hell to avoid...

I start GI in 3 weeeks! I will be screening/examining pre c-scope pts for the doc so he can scope pt all day long. It's a temporary gig until my new SP gets our practice up and running in Sept. I did a GI/Liver tx rotation during my inpatient rot. in school so I feel pretty comfortable with GI. I did many paracenteses during that rotation and I remember it being satisfying to provide relief to my pt with one procedure. I guess it happens when you drain 8L of fluid form their bellies!

Just curious, why try to avoid second opinions like hell?

Well, back when I first started, that was the only type of consult that was not to be scheduled with an NPP, for political reasons. That has long since evaporated.

Sometimes they can be rewarding. The worst part is that very often these patients had been seen by one or more previous facilities, and the vast majority of the time they come with little or no records. They've usually had an exhaustive workup...GI is a very diagnostic-heavy specialty...and I hate to over-test people. So, you have to spend an inordinate amount of energy tracking all that crap down, and there are invariably holes when you do get it (such as an endoscopic procedure report mentioning bxs of something, but no path report to accompany it). All the while, you have this frequently very frustrated patient who wants answers yesterday.

Moreover, the majority of the time the patients have functional complaints and negative workups, and it's hard to improve on that. Overall, they offer very little personal edification (or much satisfaction on the part of the patient, often) and a great deal more labor than typical.

While I say I "try" to avoid them...I almost never do, since I usually have no awareness of who is being scheduled to see me, or what an inpatient consult might represent.

• 4 years later...

1) How much do GI PAs usually earn of they take weekend calls and do hospital rounds ? I have been offered a position by another GI group in my city but we are yet to discuss the small prints. Incidentally I've been a GI Pa for approx. 2 yrs and manage only office. 

2) Any courses I can attend to learn paracentesis, sigmoidoscopy etc.?

Archived