Sign in to follow this  
TeacherPA

Quit job and be Medical Assistant/CNA or Shadow?

Hey everyone,

I know this or very similar questions have been asked before, but many of the responses are old and I feel that I have a kind of unique situation. If you know of a post or topic that is similar, please just direct me to it. Thanks!

I am currently a FT teacher, but looking to switch careers to PA. I have some HCE but it is from 2009-2011/12, and I was a scribe. I can easily shadow PAs while I continue working as a teacher (nights, days off, summer), but cannot get any hands on experience. Would those of you that have experience applying to PA school, being a student in PA school or working as a PA reccomend that I: a. try to get as much shadowing experience in different settings while continuing to teach next year, b. try to get my scribe job back as a weekend/night gig and try to shadow a few PAs in other settings  (continue to teach) or c. quit my job in June and try to get a job as a medical assistant or take a CNA class, then work as a CNA in a hospital? back up plan here would be to get my scribe job back for next year

I would really like to apply in this next cycle, so I am worried that I won't find any work as a CNA before the application is due (and some seem to be due by August 1!)

Let me know what you think and why!

Thank you so much. Feel free to DM me if you don't want to post!

It can be difficult getting experience and working a normal job, but it can be done. I had a lot of years to do it, but I kept my day job while I did volunteer and part-time paid EMS for my experience. I don't know if you can where you are but, if it was me, that's what I would do. It lets you save money for the 2.5 years you will not be making any.

There is no one right way; just look around and consider your options. The issue is whether or not you personally could afford to quit a full-time, reasonably well-paying teaching position to take an entry-level CNA job. 

Good luck!

My field of work is in healthcare but not direct patient care. I personally couldn't financially justify quitting my full time job with benefits to take a huge pay cut to be a CNA with just the hope of getting into PA school, there is no guarantee.

That said if you feel you can shadow on nights, summers, and days off then you can certainly be a CNA or scribe or something in those times as well. If you keep your teaching job it may take longer to get the hours you want to be able to be a successful applicant but it also means keeping an income you'll likely need for applying, interviewing, and actually paying for PA school.

In fact, a part time or PRN night CNA job might be easier to come by than finding a PA to shadow overnight. Plus it will show that you can handle a lot of work and stress at the same time.

Some hospitals hire nurse assistants and train them on the job. I had no prior healthcare experience and I never took any CNA classes. 4 weeks of paid training and I love the experience I get at my job. Also, another option is to try volunteering and get your foot in the door. If worst comes to worst, can you do your CNA training in the summer when you're not teaching?

• Upvote 1

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

• Similar Content

• By aa1041557
      I’ve recently been offered a position as a dialysis tech in an outpatient center. I shadowed the other day and the staff seamed friendly. My main duties would be weighing patients, cannulating them and setting up the machines, drawing labs, and monitoring their vitals throughout treatment. This all would be under the supervisions of an RN. I would work 8 and 10 hour shifts. I was hoping someone who has worked as a dialysis tech or knows someone who has could give me feedback about their experiences. I do already have 2 years experience volunteering as an EMT-A on a fairly busy service and plan on continuing to do so.  

I have also been invited to interview for a medical assistant position at an urgent care, but the interview is after the deadline to decide if I’m going to accept the dialysis position. 

The pros I see in working as a dialysis tech: Getting to know my patients and their cases. Experience in the chronic disease side of medicine. 

Cons: It’s could be repetitive work and I would really only learn about kidney disease.
    • By PANCEon
      I wish at 18, I would've chosen the pre-pa route and gotten an associate's degree in DMS or an echo cardiogram tech then continued to get certified in different specialties. I may have taken pre med courses as well. Became a CNA and worked in many different specialties, hospitals, hospice, nursing and rehab facilities for experience, money, connections, letters of recommendation, on the job training to get certified in imaging, phlebotomy, resp tech, occupational or physical therapy technicians, basic EMT 1-IV, ER tech, pharmacy tech, and become a American Red Cross CNA trainer or at least CPR, AED, BLS, first aid and phlebotomy instructor's. Setting up blood drives, charity events etc. Too many ideas to count. I know now that being a healthcare professional  is my calling. Some ppl can just play the piano, which I can't, but medicine/biology/anatomy, makes perfect sense. But, I'm 40 now, and my Psychology degree I got in 2001 afforded me sales positions from food broker territory manager, pharmaceutical sales, animal diagnostic laboratory sales manager. I worked from home and travelled all over. I liked being my own boss, and other's as well. I then became a seller and writer of mortgages. Now, I have been on disability for 10yrs and am ready to do what I was meant to. I just wish I was younger. That's why it's important for me to manage my time and not waste a minute doing something that isn't going to help me get in a program. 

• By cMore
      I am looking to submit by tonight and would appreciate the help. I would prefer if you are a PA, work at the pa school, admissions, or something of this sort but all help is definitely welcome.
      Please PM me if you can provide some assistance

cMore
    • By boomboompaopao
      Hello All,

Our Cardiothoracic Surgery Group at St. Joseph's Hospital in Tampa, Florida is looking to add another PA. We currently have 3 Surgeons and 4 PA's. Salary is based on experience. If you or anyone you know may be interested, feel free to shoot me an email. Thanks!

Paolo Calizo, PA-C
      paopaocali@gmail.com
    • By boomboompaopao
      Hello All,

Our Cardiothoracic Surgery Group at St. Joseph's Hospital in Tampa, Florida is looking to add another PA. We currently have 3 Surgeons and 4 PA's. Salary is based on experience. If you or anyone you know may be interested, feel free to shoot me an email. Thanks!

Paolo Calizo, PA-C
      paopaocali@gmail.com

Important Information

Welcome to the Physician Assistant Forum! This website uses cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. Learn More