Quit job and be Medical Assistant/CNA or Shadow?

Hey everyone,

I know this or very similar questions have been asked before, but many of the responses are old and I feel that I have a kind of unique situation. If you know of a post or topic that is similar, please just direct me to it. Thanks!

I am currently a FT teacher, but looking to switch careers to PA. I have some HCE but it is from 2009-2011/12, and I was a scribe. I can easily shadow PAs while I continue working as a teacher (nights, days off, summer), but cannot get any hands on experience. Would those of you that have experience applying to PA school, being a student in PA school or working as a PA reccomend that I: a. try to get as much shadowing experience in different settings while continuing to teach next year, b. try to get my scribe job back as a weekend/night gig and try to shadow a few PAs in other settings  (continue to teach) or c. quit my job in June and try to get a job as a medical assistant or take a CNA class, then work as a CNA in a hospital? back up plan here would be to get my scribe job back for next year

I would really like to apply in this next cycle, so I am worried that I won't find any work as a CNA before the application is due (and some seem to be due by August 1!)

Let me know what you think and why!

Thank you so much. Feel free to DM me if you don't want to post!

It can be difficult getting experience and working a normal job, but it can be done. I had a lot of years to do it, but I kept my day job while I did volunteer and part-time paid EMS for my experience. I don't know if you can where you are but, if it was me, that's what I would do. It lets you save money for the 2.5 years you will not be making any.

There is no one right way; just look around and consider your options. The issue is whether or not you personally could afford to quit a full-time, reasonably well-paying teaching position to take an entry-level CNA job. 

Good luck!

My field of work is in healthcare but not direct patient care. I personally couldn't financially justify quitting my full time job with benefits to take a huge pay cut to be a CNA with just the hope of getting into PA school, there is no guarantee.

That said if you feel you can shadow on nights, summers, and days off then you can certainly be a CNA or scribe or something in those times as well. If you keep your teaching job it may take longer to get the hours you want to be able to be a successful applicant but it also means keeping an income you'll likely need for applying, interviewing, and actually paying for PA school.

In fact, a part time or PRN night CNA job might be easier to come by than finding a PA to shadow overnight. Plus it will show that you can handle a lot of work and stress at the same time.

Some hospitals hire nurse assistants and train them on the job. I had no prior healthcare experience and I never took any CNA classes. 4 weeks of paid training and I love the experience I get at my job. Also, another option is to try volunteering and get your foot in the door. If worst comes to worst, can you do your CNA training in the summer when you're not teaching?

Archived