Asking for your SEMPA vote

Colleagues,

No, Im not running for President in 2016...first Puerto Rican US president?...nawww.  
But I am running for one of the Director-at-Large positions at SEMPA.  I have attached my platform statement below.  Take a look at it and consider giving me your vote of confidence this January!

In hopes of service,

Miguel

(p.s., feel free to share my platform statement and spread the word among other EMPA's that you may know!)

Miguel A. Pineiro, MHS,  PA-C
Assistant Professor
Campbell University Physician Assistant Program
College of Pharmacy & Health Sciences
P.O. Box 1090, 191 Main Street
Buies Creek, NC 27506
(910) 814-4902 office
(919) 244-3467 cell

Platform Statement for Miguel A Pineiro, MHS, PA-C

Dear Colleagues,

My name is Miguel A Pineiro; I am currently a physician assistant working in emergency medicine for over 9 years in Raleigh, North Carolina. It is my intention to run for one of the two Directors-at- Large positions in the Society of Emergency Medicine Physician Assistants.

As an experienced practicing EMPA I am keenly aware of the current issues that our profession encounters as it continues to grow in numbers and in scope of practice.  Issues such as:

•             How do we meet our supervising physician expectations of practicing solid, evidence based emergency medicine?

•             How do we recruit and retain experienced providers in a field that needs and clamors for mentors?

•             In a rapidly expanding field for physician assistants, what tools can we use that we fulfill the promise to practice in underserved areas?

Indeed, these and other important decisions will need to be addressed by the leadership of SEMPA and I hope to work closely with the Board of Directors in providing guidance to our profession.

I believe that I am uniquely qualified to serve for the following reasons:

In my role of Associate Professor at the Campbell University Physician Assistant Program I am a member of the didactic team and I take great pride in having the privilege of training the next generation of physician assistants.  

It is my hope to begin an emergency medicine fellowship to help satisfy the need for competent, compassionate and caring PAs in the emergency department.

I am a proven leader evident by my service as the Chief Physician Assistant for our EM group during a period of rapid expansion;   during my tenure of close to 5 years we almost  more than doubled  our numbers from just under 20 providers to surpassing  40 at the end of my tenure.   In addition, our scope of practice was expanded to include essentially all areas of the emergency department.

I have taken and passed the test for Certificate of Additional Qualifications in Emergency Medicine and I believe that it is important to expand test dates and continue to provide training that allows EMPA’s to become certified.

Lastly, as a Hispanic PA I hope to attract potential Latino applicants into the PA profession and into emergency medicine.   The Hispanic demographic is, after all, the fastest growing segment of the population of the United States.

It is an exciting time to be and EMPA! We are increasingly entrusted with seeing the sickest patients and we continue to expand our horizons of practice while maintaining the Physician /PA team model.  I hope and look forward to serving in the SEMPA Board of Directors and I humbly ask for your vote.

Miguel A Pineiro, MHS, PA-C

I would change

How do we meet our supervising physician expectations of practicing solid, evidence based emergency medicine?

to

How do we meet our patients expectations of practicing solid, evidence based emergency medicine?

1. As a profession we do not need any more emphasis on the term supervision, which WILL eventually go away. Better to be on the right side of history.

2. We practice medicine and the patient is the customer in that contract. If we fulfill our end of that deal then all other stakeholders in the process- physicians, administrators, payers- will be satisfied.

something for when you get on the board...SEMPA needs to stop ignoring the west coast and stop hosting conferences in florida....We don't have a lot of west coast members BECAUSE we focus on east coast conferences and activities....(TUSCON is not the west coast.....Las Vegas is not the west coast.....) a west coast conference needs a COAST....Santa Monica, San francisco, Portland, Seattle....

Are you a member of PAFT? Just curious

I am. I assume you meant this directed at the original poster.

follow up question- if not, why not? They are the ones pushing the aapa to modernize and mostly responsible for the language change to collaboration last year.

I would change

How do we meet our supervising physician expectations of practicing solid, evidence based emergency medicine?

to

How do we meet our patients expectations of practicing solid, evidence based emergency medicine?

1. As a profession we do not need any more emphasis on the term supervision, which WILL eventually go away. Better to be on the right side of history.

2. We practice medicine and the patient is the customer in that contract. If we fulfill our end of that deal then all other stakeholders in the process- physicians, administrators, payers- will be satisfied.

Great Point! I do believe as well that independent practice is inevitable.  Not sure on the timing,.. less than 10 years?  I also think than when this happens it will be largely patient-driven, perhaps even, dare I say it.. insurance companies driven.  Interestingly also is that the docs are getting tried of being "where the buc stops"  when it comes to malpractice.  One of my friends is a doc who does consulting for malpractice cases involving PA's and he says that it a recurring theme.  

something for when you get on the board...SEMPA needs to stop ignoring the west coast and stop hosting conferences in florida....We don't have a lot of west coast members BECAUSE we focus on east coast conferences and activities....(TUSCON is not the west coast.....Las Vegas is not the west coast.....) a west coast conference needs a COAST....Santa Monica, San francisco, Portland, Seattle....

Totally!  I lived in Seattle (Kirkland) for 3 years and I would love to hold meetings / conferences out west!

I would love to do a SEMPA conference on the West Coast. If I have to do everything two hours earlier anyway, why bother with Phoenix, right?

San Diego would be great. Seattle would be great. I've never seen Northern Cali.

Congrats Miguel on deciding to run. Participating here is a really good step.

I would love to do a SEMPA conference on the West Coast. If I have to do everything two hours earlier anyway, why bother with Phoenix, right?

San Diego would be great. Seattle would be great. I've never seen Northern Cali.

Congrats Miguel on deciding to run. Participating here is a really good step.

Thank you!

It is interesting that this article just came out in the AAPA journal.  Putting aside my candidacy, whether elected or not, I think that the tide seems to be gaining mass in terms of independent practice.  I am not at present time fully advocating independent practice but definitely welcome the language that describes our present relationship with the docs a collaborative rather than supervisory.  In any case, if you have a minute this may be worth the read.

Thanks

Miguel

http://journals.lww.com/jaapa/Fulltext/2015/01000/Is_physician_assistant_autonomy_inevitable_.2.aspx?WT.mc_id=HPxADx20100319xMP&_wcsid=B83A8FE9F0C2F4E1471579C4C94D757BACB9D0721F37AAEE8D0D6B1505253505#

Man, is this ever becoming a "hot" issue....both sides definitely articulating their points rather convincingly.  (Spoken like a true politician, lol..)  No but really, I am certainly not smart enough to figure it all out but it is marvelous to be living in this phase of our profession!

Archived