• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 3 weeks later...

Early admission applications have been reviewed. Interviews are being set up and those being invited should be hearing from Ms. Felix. Thank you for your interest in the SJVC Primary Care PA program. In answer to the pm, out of the 75 applications, we will be interviewing 46.

LesH

• 2 weeks later...

To those who are about to interview we salute you.

I would like to thank all those who braved the "Tule" fog to come to the Dec. 6 orientation. I hope everybody got their questions answered and got home safely. One last thing before the games begin, to be a competitive applicant here is what we will be looking for:

1. Candidates that have the potential to meet the mission of the program.
  2. Candidates with HCE that will demonstrate a likelihood to meet the mission of the program.
  3. Candidates with an academic background that will indicate potential for success in the program as determined by the program's experiences and resources.

To the interviwers I'll brief you all before we start. Good luck in your future PA endeavors.

LesH

• 1 month later...

Since we have started to experience the Central Valley winter something very unique to our program has come up. I thought I would share that for those that are not familiar with the San Joaquin Valley as a factor to consider when applying to our little program.

We are going to ask you what your feelings are about driving long distances for clinical rotations becuase in this program you will. Period. You will not pick your rotations, or where you want to go, or what you want to do, don't even think about doing a rotation in So Cal, Nor Cal or an international rotation. Read our mission statement.

Since you will be driving up and down the 99 or the 198 there may come a time when you will be driving in fog, dense fog, sort of like the fog Stephen King writes about. That's part of the deal. Students are expected to be in clinic or class on "fog days" You may be late because of a pileup caused by a jack knifed big rig and fortunately we have not had any students involved in one of those pile ups but it is a reality of the area.

Central Valley folks are pretty much used to it, if you are accepted here, you have to get used to it. I don't want this to be a surprise and definately understand if we lose great applicants because of it. Just want to make sure folks know what they are getting themselves into who are not familiar with the Central Valley or our program. ;)

Thank you for your consideration of the SJVC Primary Care PA program.

LesH

For those forum members that have received acceptance letters so far, we are still looking at dates to run the weekend 2009 Pre PA workshops. June seems to be looking like the best bet. It is not manadatory.

However, I have been thinking about the ideal of sending out my adult medicine handouts for first term. I don't teach any of that class anymore but I did sit down with the syllabus and generate a lot of handouts from the texts and internet resources. Obviously it's a lot of information...I mean a lot of information, but it is focused and could provide some insight into the various topics we will shoving down your throat for 16 weeks.

So if any of you incoming 2009 SJVC lean mean diagnostic machines are interested in getting these handouts, let me know. I have to admit that I don't want to embark on this endeavor if it is not going to be used. It would be a waste of time and paper. I also admit that when I gave the handouts during first term some students found it helpful and some were maybe a bit overwelmed. I don't want to do the latter.;)

I think they have some value. I'd be interested in hearing your thoughts

So if any of you incoming 2009 SJVC lean mean diagnostic machines are interested in getting these handouts, let me know. I have to admit that I don't want to embark on this endeavor if it is not going to be used. It would be a waste of time and paper. I also admit that when I gave the handouts during first term some students found it helpful and some were maybe a bit overwelmed. I don't want to do the latter.;)

I think they have some value. I'd be interested in hearing your thoughts

I almost forgot how to post on this forum :p I will forward you some e-mails of "eager" 2009 students looking for a way to "prepare for PA school." Although i told them to just get a Rx of Lorazapam ;)

Yes the fog is bad at times but if you have lived here long enough you know how to deal with it. With giving yourself plenty of time and the way the program is designed to start a little bit later on some days it will hopefully blow off by then!

Les, I would be interested in the handouts. If you need my address I can send you a pm. Thanks

Yes the fog is bad at times but if you have lived here long enough you know how to deal with it. With giving yourself plenty of time and the way the program is designed to start a little bit later on some days it will hopefully blow off by then! Les, I would be interested in the handouts. If you need my address I can send you a pm. Thanks

Good attitude slprncess. We talk about the fog situation and the protocols and policies around didactic and clinicals. We have a set number of hours that need to be accomplished before a student can graduate. You will hear me say this at least once " Don't owe us time." Graduation will be delayed until all requirements are met and that delays when a graduate can take the PANCE. We wish to avoid that.;)

PM me with an email address and I will start sending you handouts from my aol account.

LesH

Yes, got them. This is great!

the way I see it, Its easier to run a marathon if you jog alittle every day.

Or as one of our graduates would say "eat a whole elephant one bite at a time". I don't know how he came up it that one, but hey if the analogy works...

Here are some links that will help with studying and starting to understand the materials you have received. They should help with the language of Dermatology, a slight understanding of some of the Anatomy and Physiology and pathology you will be covering.

http://dermnetnz.org/terminology.html

http://www.methodisthealth.com/tmhs/basic.do?channelId=-1073830207&contentId=1073791134&contentType=HEALTHTOPIC_CONTENT_TYPE

This is a good link for more specific topics. It should help with showing you how the specific conditions look and a little bit of treatment.

http://www.dermnet.com/moduleIndex.cfm?moduleID=1

Use the Sticky above on “useful links for first term” for more information. All the topics listed under Derm are in the syllabus and you will be responsible for them.

Have fun.

LesH

• 1 month later...

Hello all,

The application deadline has passed and we are ready to interview the remaining applicants for the July 19, 2009 start date! We have two dates that we will be interviewing. Thursday, March 12th from 8:30-4:00 pm and Saturday March 14th from 8:30 am to 2:00 or 3:00 pm.

As always, we are looking for applicants that meet the mission of the program. That is the best "hint" I can give anyone. Good luck and thanks for your interest in the SJVC Primary Care PA program.

LesH

Wow, this rolling admissions thing has really took off. We have learned something that I would like to share with SJVC potential applicants that you may or may not already know.

Do not apply during the later phases of a rolling admission cycle. The odds tend not to be in your favor. The class fills up quickly. This time we have a applicant/position available ratio that is like 7:1.

I also know a lot of this is probably because most of the NorCal programs have picked their classes and we may be the second or third choice for some applicants. Or maybe we are a "practice interview" for some USC, Loma Linda and Drew applicants..lol. Either way please bring your "A game" because the faculty have already warned me they are gonna be rough. I'm just giving folks a heads up.

Know the mission and goals of this program and be really prepared to prove why its a fit for you.;)

Nothing but love and good luck in your future PA endeavors.

LesH

Either way please bring your "A game" because the faculty have already warned me they are gonna be rough. I'm just giving folks a heads up.

Know the mission and goals of this program and be really prepared to prove why its a fit for you.;)

Nothing but love and good luck in your future PA endeavors.

LesH

He is not joking about the faculty .....This is one mean looking crew! But if you get in you will become a stellar PA. I have worked along side these grads and can tell you that Les has groomed them well! Keep up the good work!

He is not joking about the faculty .....This is one mean looking crew!

LOL if the shoe fits we will wear it. The faculty are proud of the profession and they are serious about the type of graduates they want to represent them. What more can a PD ask for?

But if you get in you will become a stellar PA. I have worked along side these grads and can tell you that Les has groomed them well! Keep up the good work!

I thank you for your kind words, but it is Jackie, Jed, Dr. M, Alfonso, Robert, Pam, Monica and Dr. T that deserve the credit. I just yell at the students (in a supportive and nurturing way of course).

LesH

Archived