Okay let’s get this 2008 admissions party started. I would like to give you one SJVC ADCOM member’s perspective.

· I like applicants that know, understand, and are a good fit with the mission statement of the program. The entire mission statement, please read it if you haven’t already. It can be found here: http://pa.sjvc.edu/physician-assistant-program.php

· I lean toward California Central Valley folks or folks that tend to be a good fit with the mission statement. The reality of our program is about 65% of our students come from the Central Valley, 30% from NorCal and SoCal and 5% from out of state. It’s nothing personal, for me it’s a PD thing. See the mission statement. I am looking for retention. Other ADCOM members have different criteria.

· If you have an EMS or Surgery background have something in your background that at least indicates you have potential to go into Primary Care. Like volunteer service at a free clinic or in a Primary Care Health Professional shortage area, military service, missionary work overseas, something…

· We are an old school program, the more HCE the better. I promise you this year, for me “meeting the minimum requirements does not guarantee admissions” is my mantra.

· If you are an IMG that’s great, you may meet the academic & clinical experience prereqs. That’s all it means to me, you don’t get special points, I don’t consider you better any than a RN, RT, PT, PT aide, ER tech, Medical Assistant, LVN or a Phlebotomist in the big picture. Please, Please, Please don’t have an attitude about it either.

· I know a lot of PAs and Docs in California, so if you are going to name drop be careful…lol.

· When we tell you it’s going to be hard, don’t blow us off. Being an ASPA program does not mean it’s easier. We will grind you into the dirt with nothing but love and in a supportive and nurturing way. And the faculty will tell you that I am the “soft touch” in the program.

· If there are “Youthful indiscretions” in your past that led to you being fingerprinted and a conviction of any kind it is best to disclose it in the application and at the time of the interview. We will find out. This is dealt with on a case by case basis.

· We are not a CASPA program for a reason. Think about it after you read the mission statement.

So, that’s my song and dance. I represent one vote. The faculty and staff pick the class. We rank and discuss (argue) the merits of those we wish to enroll. It gets very personal sometimes. It is not easy picking a class. We have rolling admissions so those that are on the alternate list are offered a spot in the next class. This means that we will be interviewing for about 12-15 slots for the class starting in 2009. Let the games begin.

LesH

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply
When we tell you it’s going to be hard, don’t blow us off. Being an ASPA program does not mean it’s easier. We will grind you into the dirt with nothing but love and in a supportive and nurturing way. And the faculty will tell you that I am the “soft touch” in the program.

:eek: I didnt know that you could grind someone in the dirt in a loving and nurturing way:p

"Does it have to be like this?"

Since we are paying, shouldn't YOU accomodate us?

Shouldn't we get a glass of warm milk and a backrub? Can we snuggle?

Sorry, I have a warped perspective and in light of recent thinking, I had to joke.

Personally, I want it tough. I want to be pushed to my limits so that when the time comes where I have to pull long hours and solve complicated cases, I can do it with little to no effort. I said it before and I will say it again... If SJVC was closer, it would have been my first choice.

So you're either an easy stick or a challenging one. Both work for teaching purposes.;)

LesH

Lol Im both.....my right arm is a good stick....and the left....not so much:rolleyes:

That class is why I hate being stuck with needles now. Something traumatizing about watching the shaking hands of real estate agent turned phlebotomist coming at you:eek:

Lol Im both.....my right arm is a good stick....and the left....not so much:rolleyes:

That class is why I hate being stuck with needles now. Something traumatizing about watching the shaking hands of real estate agent turned phlebotomist coming at you:eek:

So the right arm gets IV practice and use the left for butterfly needle hand sticks.

Problem solved;)

LesH

Well, here's the good news. My policy is not to be on the interview panel of folks that I have spoken with on the Forum. I learned that one the hard way. If I don't know you and I interview you then you know what I am looking for. Everyone else I wish you the best. ;)

LesH

Important 2008 Early Admission Dates

Application deadline is Nov 3rd ( must be postmarked by Nov 3rd)

Interviews will be:Thursday Dec 11th and Saturday Dec 13th 8:30 am to 4:00 pm

The program reserves the right to change interview dates (add/delete dates) based on number of applications submitted.

Important 2008 Early Admission Dates

Application deadline is Nov 3rd ( must be postmarked by Nov 3rd)

Interviews will be:Thursday Dec 11th and Saturday Dec 13th 8:30 am to 4:00 pm

The program reserves the right to change interview dates (add/delete dates) based on number of applications submitted.

For those that are unable to make any of the upcoming Program orientations here is the information that you have requested about the program:

• The program has been ARC-PA accredited since 2003 and California PAC approval since 2005. The program's next ARC-PA review is in 2012.
  • We take a class of 24. We have a rolling admission process. Alternates will be offered a position in the next class if they are not admitted. Class usually starts in July/August. We plan to offer the Pre-PA program again this summer.
  • Of the students enrolled since 2003: 63% resided in the Central Valley prior to entering the program. 32% were from California outside of the Central Valley and 5% were from out of state. Selection factors include: health care experience, GPA and Interview. Applicants that have the potential to meet the mission statement of the program are highly desirable.
  • In recent admission cycles, we have been interviewing around 60 applicants. Meeting the minimum requirements does not guarantee admissions.
  • FA is available, you must contact the FA office concerning this. The program has two NHSC ambassadors on faculty and students have recieved NHSC scholarships, but graduates have greater sucess at getting loan repayment and Health Professions Education Foundation scholarships from the State.
  • We are 24 months in length. 12 didactic-12 clinical, no electives, no rotations outside of the Central Valley of California, rotations are arranged and assigned by the program.
  • We have a system based didactic curriculum for the most part. We do not do PBL. Our program was modeled after two old school programs in California: USC (circa mid 90s) for the didactic year and Drew for the clinical (Eight 1 month ARC-PA mandated clinical rotations & 4 month Primary Care Preceptorship).We are real big on Primary Care.
  • We are real big on training in rural medically underserved areas, Our clinical sites are in a 150 mile radius of the program. Everybody gets to travel to distant rural training sites before it's all over. We provide limited stipends in the form of gas cards (at least once). We focus on training PAs to practice in the Central Valley of California, preferably in Primary Care.
  • We have 6 core faculty, four part timers and various guest lecturers. Program faculty are PAs,MDs,MD/PharmD. The majority are prior military, others have served in IHS or NHSC.
  • We currently use the following online data bases and testing banks: Typhon data bases for the clinical year, FM challenger, Certistep PA Prep, Exam Master and MEDEX board prep. We test a lot...
  • We do individual, group and class tutorials. Students must maintain 70% to progress in the program. We average 3 students/class lost to attrition (national average is 2).
  • Class attendance is mandatory. Classes are M-F usually held between hours of 9am-5pm or 1pm-7 pm depending on class. There may be some weekends where students do community service/HPDP projects. During the clinical year schedule is based on clinical site requirements. We do not recommend working while in the program.
  • Currently graduates have an 81% first time pass rate on the boards and 91% pass rate overall (classes 05, 06, and 07, still waiting on 08 grads data)
  • The Student Society was recognized one of the 2 SAAAPA Outstanding students societies of 2008, this is the second time the SJVC students society has won this award (Charter class did it in 2005).
  • The 2008 SJVC challenge bowl team won the CAPA student challenge bowl (meaning they get to represent in San Diego in 2009 at the national AAPA conference)
  • The Program was recognized by the Physician Assistant Educational Association with the Excellence in Diversity Award. We have a diverse student body and faculty and are very proud of that.
  • We award an AS in Physician Assistant. If graduates want to get a BS they can take advantage of the Nova SE BHSci. If graduates with a BS degree want a graduate degree the St Francis MMS is an option while in the program.
  • Of the SJVC class of 2005, 85% (or 17) are in Family Medicine, Pediatrics, General Internal Medicine or Womenʼs health. 75% (or 15) are practicing in medically undeserved areas. Of the class of 2006, 56% (or 9) are in Family Medicine, Pediatrics, General Internal Medicine or Womenʼs health. 50% (or 8) of the graduates are known practicing in medically undeserved areas. Of the students graduating in 2007, 67% (or 12) are in Family Medicine, Pediatrics, General Internal Medicine or Womenʼs health. 61% (or 11) of the graduates are known practicing in medically undeserved areas. Still running the stats on the class of 2008.
  • It gets very hot in the summer and can be very foggy in the fall and winter.That smell in the morning is from the local dairy farms.;)

Hope this helps, thanks for your interest in the SJVC Primary Care Program. For further questions please contact Ms. Urmson at (559) 651-2500 X173. She will either provide you an answer or refer you to someone who can. Be nice to her.;)

Les Howard, BS, PA

Program Director

SJVC Primary Care PA program

Archived