PA to DO in three years for cheap?? Please chime in.

On 1/12/2015 at 1:28 PM, EMEDPA said:

bit of a fluke this week: I am working 95 hrs in 6 days covering sick calls at 2 places + my own shifts:

24. 12, 21, 12, 14, 12

this was the last time I worked this much. this week 96 hrs as 4 24s. much more manageable.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply
13 minutes ago, Rhysaunt said:

I say go for it!! I am not married and don't have kids and will give it a try. I've been a PA for 9 years and in the ER for 7. I have experience in other areas of medicine as well. I think in this situation I would try for a EM/FM residency that is 5 years in Christian healthcare system in Delaware. You are double-board certified and won't get bored.  Anybody have done LECOM's program since this post?

I would do a 5 year em/fp as well. there are many on the DO side of the aisle. I know a few of their grads, happy folks.

27 minutes ago, Rhysaunt said:

Did they do a fellowship on any kind? I think sports medicine would be good. Then you could be the family doc for sports teams in rural communities and also open a trigger point injection clinic. All cash, no insurance.

Should we as PA's be fighting for you,EMEDPA, to get Dr.Kauffman to do some type of transitional program where you are?

my friend who is local who did the em/fp does 12 eight hr night shifts as a solo em doc every month and  1 short day/week in the affiliated family medicine residency program as clinical faculty.

appreciate the thought, but regarding medschool for me, unless something drastic changes it is not going to happen at this point; nonworking spouse, kid about to start college, etc, older parents and in-laws, etc

I will be 50 next year. If I suddenly found myself single I would probably sell my house to finance medschool and go back....I have lots of family members who worked into their late 80s...

On 10/7/2018 at 6:12 PM, EMEDPA said:

my friend who is local who did the em/fp does 12 eight hr night shifts as a solo em doc every month and  1 short day/week in the affiliated family medicine residency program as clinical faculty.

appreciate the thought, but regarding medschool for me, unless something drastic changes it is not going to happen at this point; nonworking spouse, kid about to start college, etc, older parents and in-laws, etc

I will be 50 next year. If I suddenly found myself single I would probably sell my house to finance medschool and go back....I have lots of family members who worked into their late 80s...

funny

2 kids (2 and 5)

wife works part time

50 next year (me too)

yup would need something very different then 3 years back in school 

my friend who is local who did the em/fp does 12 eight hr night shifts as a solo em doc every month and  1 short day/week in the affiliated family medicine residency program as clinical faculty. appreciate the thought, but regarding medschool for me, unless something drastic changes it is not going to happen at this point; nonworking spouse, kid about to start college, etc, older parents and in-laws, etc

I hear ya E! I was contemplating even starting the DMS (still not sold on Lynchburg but that's another thread lol) but my daughter is a sophomore in HS and is starting to consider colleges. She has interest in some upper tier schools (read:expensive and NOT covered by my CalVet tuition waiver). Then my son is going to be in the same spot in 3 years... Wife works but we are in our mid forties and both are going to focus hard on retirement and kids' college.  

So... I think I'm done with further degree/education pursuits.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Archived