Recertification After Time Lapse

Hello all,

I am hoping someone here may be knowledgeable about my particular situation.  I have been a PA-C for 12 years now, licensed in my state and have worked at the same job since graduation in 2003. I took the PANCE upon graduation, the PANRE 6 years later and Im now to due recertify again by December 2015. However, that being said, I am planning to hang up my white coat for a while, and quite possibly permanently.  I have small children and have decided by Fall of this year, I will be leaving my job to stay home and be a full time mom. My questions are as follows:

1. If I choose NOT to recertify, and I stay home (not working) for (hypothetically) the next 10 years...and then I want to regain my certification, do I simply just take the PANRE at that time (after obtaining the required CME as started on the NCCPA page)? Or would have to take the PANCE?

2. Is there any point to taking the PANRE this year if I know I will not be working during this next 10 yr cycle?

I tried looking on the nccpa website, but their section on "lost certification" was very vague, in my opinion. I suppose I'm trying to determine if its worth my time to take the PANRE this year....and if regaining a lost certification is a huge headache that I wont want to go through in 10-12 years or so...

Any input from those of you who may now more about this than me if so very greatly appreciated.

GR

• 3 months later...

I'm trying find similar info and agree that the NCCPA's info is vague. I've "hung up my white coat" for the last 10 years to stay at home with my kids. I maintained my certification for a while but let it lapse in 2013 (which was when I would have had to take the PANRE and restart a 6-year cycle). I'm now looking into regaining certification. From what the NCCPA's website says, I'll need to log 100 CME hours and retest. That seems pretty simple. I guess I'm trying to find out if it really is that easy. Hoping you get some informed responses!

If you are going to hang up your white coat for some time, I would encourage you to:

1. Maintain certification

2. Maintain licensure

3. Stay involved clinically even if its just a day a month volunteering at a clinic

Most states are moving toward re-entry programs for physicians and PAs. This will require not only certification but documenting safe practice by having supervised practice if there is a gap in practice (usually more than 2 years). This is an incredible pain in the ass. Since you don't have a license and are not a student you don't fit to any models which makes this incredibly hard. 

Just thought I would add my two cents here I myself am regaining certification. I had to call the NCCPA many times to understand the new process as I missed it by January. My certification lapsed in 2010 I went into medical device sales and I was sucked in making really great money (started as a clinical teaching EVH) then went on to saws and didn't think I would go back...fast forward 7yrs later second child on the way in less than a week I need to get back to my love and roots of being a PA!

They now require 100 CME to even sit for your choice the PANCE or PANRE..didn't seem so bad however there are now SA and PI credits I am unable to get PI as I'm not practicing so I went with SA ...just a snapshot you need 20 and the best way to get it is the Zarbock review book take the pre and post test...seems simple however very time consuming you have to sit for 686 questions all at once before you can take the 80 question test to get 20 credits ...give yourself a full day ..after going through chapters prettying and brutal and at one point it logged me out and start from scratch!

I just took the adult med PANRE and I felt like it is was by no means easy as but Cv was easy for me as I was a CV surg Pa however some very crazy questions and of course left feeling defeated! I wish you all the luck in recert after taking time off...my advice leaving the field or not do NOt let your certification lapse!! You don't want the headache I have now waiting results!! So anxious but hoping I don't have to re take in 90days! Quite surprised at what they asked versus what they should ask very little on maintenance and common differentials/ meds and lots of ID and mechanism of action of meds?!? I'm a PA not a pharmD I get the idea but why not know what not to prescribe and allergies and interactions instead of MOA...sorry rant over...fingers crossed I'm back in for 10yrs :)

• 1 month later...

my husband is from Dublin and I lived there almost 2 years. The hoops I had to jump, just stay up to date, and volunteer somewhere once or twice a month. This is the path that will save you the most work, and you never know what the future brings you could find you need to work asap, and I had to shadow for over a month before I could work again, and was not eligible for locum work until I had 3 months of full time patient contact.

• 1 year later...
  • 2 weeks later...

First, I urge the original poster to really consider maintaining your PA-C certification as your life situation can change at any given time and it is much easier to maintain your certification as opposed to having to spend many months re-learning and memorizing the necessary information to pass your boards after a lapse in certification status.

Your CME credits can be obtained quite easily at minimal expense. I completely understand the desire to dedicate your time and energies to your family, especially while your children are young. It may be possible for you to obtain a PRN position at a local urgent care facility or something similar. The recent change by the NCCPA making the recertification process now a ten-year cycle makes it that much easier for you to enjoy the best of both worlds.

However, if you let your certification lapse and then you later desire to resume your prior status, you will have to acquire the required CME's prior to being eligible to apply for taking the PANRE for re-certification. You will also have the added stress of having to potentially start from scratch with learning and studying for your exam-which from a realistic standpoint can take easily six months/possibly longer.

missed getting required cme for this cycle. Fully admit a huge lapse on my end... life stressers, new job etc.. anyone experienced similar circumstances. A.d ay luck presenting case to nccpa. Trying to figure out if certification required in my state- any suggestions?

I would contact the NCCPA directly about your situation and also your particular licensing board for your state. It may not be as involved a process as you think but it is better to get it sorted out sooner rather than later.

• 1 year later...
On 4/22/2015 at 4:28 PM, GetMeOuttaThisMess said:

Some states don't require NCCPA cert to be licensed, however, they may require equivalent of full-time status of say six mos over prior two years to maintain licensure (Tx).

This is the first I have learned of this. I graduated PA school in 1993. I took the PANCE and worked for several years. Then, I left the profession to stay home to raise my kids in 2000. My first PANRE was a take home test. I let my certification lapse and have not worked in close to 20 years. With my youngest child just out of the house for college  I would like to return to the work force in some capacity. I spent several months exploring non-clinical jobs but my education was not enough to overshadow my lack of recent employment. I am partially considering attempting to take the PANRE but I have no idea if it is feasible given the length of my absence from medicine. I was looking into the forum for guidance and I am curious about your post.  Does this mean that PAs who are not currently certified could still be employed in the states you mentioned?

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Archived