Interview for Class of 2013?

I actually withdrew my application because I got accepted to a program that was also 2 years and was offering a Masters instead of the Bachelors. Good luck to those who have applied and have had or will have the interview. York's PA program is very competitive due to the school's low tuition. I would have definitely applied to their program if they offered Masters.

• 2 weeks later...

I haven't heard anything yet. I'm getting anxious even though they said it would likely be May. I thought my interview went pretty good and I have a strong gpa/ science gpa 3.7 and 4.0 for grad work, BS Sports Medicine and MA Physiology, and medical experience background (5 years working experience). What about you? Also are you a 2nd degree student or this is your first BS degree? I'm wondering how it'll be as I'll be 27 entering into the program assuming I'm accepted.

Ill be graduating from Stony Brook this May with a bachelors degree with a 3.7 gpa as well. Ill be 22 upong entering the program, but people from all backgrounds and of all ages apply to these programs! I've heard York is one of the more competitive programs because of the low tuition and amount of applications, especially competitive for transfer students like us! But hopefully we will receive a letter this May. Best of Luck!!!

• 2 weeks later...

@PA-pizzolla- I graduated from Stony Brook in 2008, Congratulations to you as you will be graduating soon!! And best of luck to you on the road to becoming a PA.

@Kem2127- Congratulations on your acceptance!!! I received conditional acceptance as well. But I plan to take Bio 1 this summer. I was so nervous during the waiting period after the interview, but finally got some good news on Saturday. Best of Luck to you on taking the CLEP exam!!

The exam went well, it was hard with answering 115 questions in only 90 minutes but I got an A. You need Bio I and II for entry, are you taking both this summer or did you mean you plan on taking the CLEP? FYI-If you are taking the exam be prepared for questions on current issues in biology and the environment. Keep us updated!

Hey! I have recently been accepted to York's Program! I am extremely happy and excited (also nervous!) I would love to meet any of my future classmates on this forum so feel free to respond. Also I will have to take the Health Professions 2 credit course over the summer and was wondering if anyone else is taking it?

@ Kem2127- I took bio 2 already, but never finished taking bio 1. I thought about taking the CLEP exam, but decided to take bio 1 instead. Congrats on getting an A on the exam!!! What material did you use to prepare for the exam?

@ PA-pizolla- Congrats on your acceptance!!! I just plan on taking bio 1 over the summer. At which college do you plan on taking the health professions course?

@MonsieurJean- Yeah taking BIO I is much easier than preparing for the CLEP which is a Bio I and II exam, but the exam is definitely cheaper, cost me only $105 dollars. How did you manage to take BIO II without finishing BIO I? I used a CLEP prep book and an AP biology book and some online resources on youtube that my coworker who is a biology teacher recommended.

@Kem2127- I thought about taking the CLEP, but wasn't sure how to prepare for the exam considering I did not take Bio 1. I'm not even sure how I was able to register for the course either, but the semester I registered for bio 1 the class was closed, so I registered for bio 2 instead. I guess there was a glitch in the system. So, now I'm trying to register for it during summer session I. Have you purchased the suggested Medical Terminology text yet? I still have my old med. term. text from when I took it and I'm wondering do I really have to buy another text...

Hey everyone!

For the short introduction of my self: Im 31, have BFA degree, transferring from Queens college.

I received my acceptance letter right after the spring break! So excited! I did receive rejection from City College, though, a few days after I applied. Did anyone else apply there? My assumption is that you have to be admitted to school to be eligible for the program and York was #1 priority on transfer admission application, so City disqualified me right away. Oh, well, hope York is better and it is closer to my house.

I will be taking HP class this summer, too, bc York is only place its offered.

Good luck and Ill see you all.

Is anyone getting any additional health care experience this summer outside of their normal previous health care? I just registered for a phlebotomy tech course that starts next weekend to get a bit more practice with blood drawing as I do not have any experience with it. I also figured since I won't have a job next year it might be helpful in picking up some weekend hours at a nearby hospital.

Has anyone heard anything about an upcoming admitted students information/orientation? I've sent a few emails and haven't heard anything back. I am leaving my job for the program and need to make sure that everything is set in stone for the Fall start, i.e. classes registered, health forms, health insurance and an idea of our schedule otherwise I'm in big trouble for next year with no income. I'd also like to take out direct loans and can't be approved for those until after we register for classes. Also, can someone send me the info on the medical terminology textbook/author as I think I mailed back both pages to the program by accident.

Thanks!

Hey all! I have not heard any information on orientation either. I would like to hear more information about the program as well!!Im hoping they notify us soon. Will anyone be working during the program? I know it will be very demanding but I was wondering what other people are going to do as I was offered a part time coaching job - which has always been a passion of mine! (soccer) As for health care hours, I will be working in my father's doctor's office over the summer to get some more hands on experience, hopefully learn how to draw blood and other procedures before the program actually begins. Best of luck to everyone and feel free to contact me with any other questions or concerns. Look forward to meeting you all!

• 2 weeks later...

@Kem2127- Hey Kem2127, Sorry for the late reply, I haven't been on the forum for awhile. The name of the med. term textbook is Medical Terminology: A Programmed Learning Approach to the Language of Health Care/Edition 2 by Marjorie Canfield Willis and the ISBN is 0781792835. In regards to your earlier question about receiving any information, are you a York College student, or transfer student? If your a transfer student, you should check with the admissions department to make sure you were accepted by York College. You may have better luck reaching the PA department if you call the office. I'm still waiting to hear from the PA program about the orientation, but I have received a package from York College Admissions with health forms & steps on how to register at York. Best of luck to you and please keep me, or the group updated.

@PA-pizzolla-I plan to leave my job at the end of the summer, or when the PA Program starts. I know the program is considered to be full-time and requires alot of time for class & studying. Hopefully, we will hear back from the program soon. And yikes...my summer class starts next week, the summer is almost over. Looking forward to meeting you all!

Monsieur Jean,

I transferred in as a second degree student for Spring 2011 to take a health education class to finish applying for my health education NYS teaching certification so I'm technically a "York College" student and no longer a transfer. I won't be in the summer intro to health professions class as I was waived from it due to prior coursework and work experience. I am a bit disappointed that I won't be meeting everyone until the Fall and/or orientation though, so please let me know what the professors are like and the group dynamics of our incoming class.

Thanks!

Kristen

PA pizzolla-that's great about the coaching job. Is it through an organization or a school? You can access the schedule at least for the Fall of next year and it's showing our classes as going to 5:20 most days of the week (M-Th) and Friday with a 1:50pm finish. If it's during the week, I'm not sure it'll fit into the schedule, especially with commuting. I'd love to get some part time work during the week but it seems as though Tues/Wed mornings and Friday evenings are our only "half days" of classes and I don't know any place that would hire solely for Tues/Wed 8am-1pm and Friday 3pm-?

@kem2127_i had no idea our schedule for the Fall was up! I am definitely going to take a look at it today. Ive been coaching for this long island organization for two years now and I am only going to take the job if they allow me to do it on the weekends and I am sure we will be nonstop during the school week. I know how hard finding a part time job may be, especially in our circumstance. By the way, I don't remember if it was you who was taking the Health Professions Course at york during the summer? If so, were you at class last night? Either way, the professor GRAFFEO, who will be teaching us during the PA Program, was actually pretty funny! Well I hope we hear more information soon regarding orientation and all that, enjoy your summer and see you soon :)

No I'm not in the class, I was waived from it, which worked out well because the phlebotomy certification course I'm taking is Tues/Thurs nights and would have conflicted. How many students are in the class? I'm surprised they didn't have you all do a general introduction or mention what majors would be in the class. I thought it would be mostly incoming PA students, not sure if it's a requirement for the nursing and medical tech students. I would also be interested to hear what you are learning in the class. Keep me posted if they mention anything about orientation or when we will find out more info about the program.

Thanks!

Kristen

Hey, everyone!

Re: PA-pizzolla. I believe I set next to you in Health professions class. It was nice (informally) meeting you. ;)

It was odd that there was no formal introduction, since all of us were pre-PA students. As far as I know, nursing students dont need to take Health Intro class. I did like the professor, he seemed professional, but very funny. I am a little worried about the start of the program, but he seemed like fair instructor.

As I type, I realize this conversation needs a new thread, because it is going of topic. I will see if anything has been posted in relation to this, and if not, ill start a new one.

See you in class tomorrow.

Archived