Looking to Shadow in Southern California.

How did you like that program? I've looked at their WEB site and know a few people that are considering it. Is it something you would recommend to Pre-PAs? Was there a tuition/fee when you participated?

Yeah I recommend it, but it does get boring sometimes...just know that you wont be working with PAs and MDs- that's only in the ED (even ED, you wont work so much with MDs, but you can watch procedures); otherwise, it's mostly Rns and CNAs. I did it for a year and then quit, it might be better to get a job as EMT since you'l learn a lot more, but you should do cce while you work on getting your emt certfication. 

they charge you like $100, and now they are adding an additional charge for class credit...not too sure. 

If you're gonna go the CNA route instead of EMT, then don't do it- you can easily find CNA jobs at nursing homes. 

Also, some of the RNs and CNAs might be moody, but its good experience overall. 

Yeah I recommend it, but it does get boring sometimes...just know that you wont be working with PAs and MDs- that's only in the ED (even ED, you wont work so much with MDs, but you can watch procedures); otherwise, it's mostly Rns and CNAs. I did it for a year and then quit, it might be better to get a job as EMT since you'l learn a lot more, but you should do cce while you work on getting your emt certfication. 

they charge you like $100, and now they are adding an additional charge for class credit...not too sure. 

If you're gonna go the CNA route instead of EMT, then don't do it- you can easily find CNA jobs at nursing homes. 

Also, some of the RNs and CNAs might be moody, but its good experience overall. 

Thanks for the info.

Yeah I recommend it, but it does get boring sometimes...just know that you wont be working with PAs and MDs- that's only in the ED (even ED, you wont work so much with MDs, but you can watch procedures); otherwise, it's mostly Rns and CNAs. 

When you say working with RNs and CNAs what did you do? Is it hands on? Thanks.

After re-reading my post I feel as tho I downplayed it. I did mine at Glendale Adventist, and I know for fact that interns at Adventist have a broader scope than the cce's at other hospitals (e.g. UCLA, Hoag). It also depends on the department. I did PTU, and I took so many vitals, placed leads, did cleaning, transport, etc. PTU was very hands on. I also did Onco, and it was a little bit boring, unfortunately, but I did get to help bag a few dead bodies (good experience, I suppose). ED was the best because we get to see much more and all the PA's were there and I would talk to them and watch them perform sutures and assess patients. 

Was it hands on? Yes, but it was mostly working with RN's and CNA's. I definitely recommend it over other volunteer experiences at hospitals. 

LESH,

I'm actually a current Recruitment and Training Coordinator for one of the COPE Care Extender sites (CVHP in West Covina). Like Nostraadmas stated, shifts do get slow occassionally, and because it is non-paid, it does feel dry at times. Nonetheless, I believe it is one of the better volunteer experiences out there. I joined that program first and proceeded to become an EMT soon after. I utilized that program to obtain 40 hours of shadowing, and the PAs have all given me great information on programs and the interview process. Western University has even collaborated with us a few instances during their Preview Day, so they definitely know that it is not just another volunteering opportunity.

As a note though, to be able to shadow PAs, you would need roughly 200 hours of care extender hours before you can shadow the PAs. If you have any questions, just let me know!

Best,

PrheePA

LESH,

I'm actually a current Recruitment and Training Coordinator for one of the COPE Care Extender sites (CVHP in West Covina). Like Nostraadmas stated, shifts do get slow occassionally, and because it is non-paid, it does feel dry at times. Nonetheless, I believe it is one of the better volunteer experiences out there. I joined that program first and proceeded to become an EMT soon after. I utilized that program to obtain 40 hours of shadowing, and the PAs have all given me great information on programs and the interview process. Western University has even collaborated with us a few instances during their Preview Day, so they definitely know that it is not just another volunteering opportunity.

As a note though, to be able to shadow PAs, you would need roughly 200 hours of care extender hours before you can shadow the PAs. If you have any questions, just let me know!

Best,

PrheePA

Thank you for your post. Please see my pm. 

• 5 months later...
  • 1 month later...

After re-reading my post I feel as tho I downplayed it. I did mine at Glendale Adventist, and I know for fact that interns at Adventist have a broader scope than the cce's at other hospitals (e.g. UCLA, Hoag). It also depends on the department. I did PTU, and I took so many vitals, placed leads, did cleaning, transport, etc. PTU was very hands on. I also did Onco, and it was a little bit boring, unfortunately, but I did get to help bag a few dead bodies (good experience, I suppose). ED was the best because we get to see much more and all the PA's were there and I would talk to them and watch them perform sutures and assess patients. 

Was it hands on? Yes, but it was mostly working with RN's and CNA's. I definitely recommend it over other volunteer experiences at hospitals. 

Have made contact with them. Thanks for all your help.

LESH,

Best,

PrheePA

Thanks for your help. I was able to get in touch with COPE and plan to work with them on a project I am coordinating.

I took the initiative and decided to call them just now. I spoke to the Program Director (Daniel) and they are going to call me and let me know if there are any programs outside of Cali. From what he told me I have never heard of any programs like this before. Sounds like they are doing wonderful things over there! Daniel told me hospitals LOVE their services because when people finish the program they can hit the ground running. This is why I believe HCE is ssssssssssssoooooooo important!

I took the initiative and decided to call them just now. I spoke to the Program Director (Daniel) and they are going to call me and let me know if there are any programs outside of Cali. From what he told me I have never heard of any programs like this before. Sounds like they are doing wonderful things over there! Daniel told me hospitals LOVE their services because when people finish the program they can hit the ground running. This is why I believe HCE is ssssssssssssoooooooo important!

A lot of PrePAs that I work with have been doing this program so I got interested in it. You are right, it seems a good deal for the undergrad trying to get HCE. It appears to be working because I see a lot of folks list this with CASPA  when they apply to SoCal PA programs.

Archived