SP reimbursement for solo PA ????

I'm a PA in NC and cleared that I can open my own clinic, I just need a supervising physician. I have a few in mind to approach but I have no idea what to offer them in terms of reimbursement. Any ideas?

I will have a micro solo practice, probably only 20 pts/max per week, and only 3 weeks out of the month. It's a consultative internal medicine integrative medicine practice --cash only and I have opted out of Medicare. I anticipate grossing $2400-3000/week.

I've practiced for 25 years and (knock wood) been fortunate to not ever have any issues with the Med Board or malpractice. The highest risk is that some of my patients will be chronic lyme/tick borne illness patients (will use oral abx) and I know that is not endearing to the establishment (yet!)

In our state, the SP does not even need to co-sign charts. For the first six months we need to meet once a month, then q 6 months thereafter.

Any insight on how to approach reimbursement or where to find that kind of information would be greatly appreciated.

I'm new to this forum so I'm not sure if I will be email notified of a response, so here's an email: healingpathnow at gmail to reach me at. Thanks!

I am just a pre-PA student right now, I just wanted to express my excitement for you! I grew up in NC and plan to move back after PA school and while I'm not sure if I'll ever want to own a practice, I'd like the option to be available to me and I'm happy to see people such as yourself have it as an option.

Also, I love the name mtnwoman. I grew up visiting the Blue Ridge and the Smokies a few times a year and I can hardly wait to get back!

I've practiced for 25 years and (knock wood) been fortunate to not ever have any issues with the Med Board or malpractice. the highest risk is that some of my patients will be chronic lyme/tick borne illness patients (will use oral abx) and I know that is not endearing to the establishment (yet!)

Thanks!

1. I would suspect 15-18% of your gross is fair, where s/he is an independent contractor to your corporation.

2. As a matter of public record, and I am sure that you know, an ID guy in concord ( gemsak) was censored and has his license suspended for treating chronic Lyme with abd ( in his case, rocephin) weekly. The state brought multiple ID experts from all over the country to testifly that that practice was so far out of mainstream as to constitute either fraud, malpractice or both.. I urge you tread carefully.

3. Russel Greenfield, MD in charlotte is an ED doc who fellowshipped with Andrew Weil, and became the head guru of integrative medicine in the piedmont area. Wonderful, gentle man and a great resource for your line of work. You might consider giving him a call.

4. 100-150 dollars per visit? Really??? Seems pretty rich for the mountain area ( assuming western NC), even for ashville.. Unless you are going to do a bit of " chronic pain " therapy... Again be careful

5. PM JM11- a neuro headache PA who is doing what you are doing, and I would advise you to ask him specifically about contract tweaks between your SP and the corporation ( eg no compete) so your SP doesn't steal your business model.. Where he can work 3 days a week and see 7 pts/day and make 100-150k/ yr. THAT is a sweet gig.

Feel free to email me richardcdavis@gmail if you need to. But, it is more instructive to post your experiences her so that we all can learn from them

V/r davis

• 1 month later...
1. I would suspect 15-18% of your gross is fair, where s/he is an independent contractor to your corporation.

Really? That is an out of this world number! I have an SP who is willing to do it for $1,000 - $1,500 per month flat rate. Later when we are profitable we havediscussed possibly doing 10% of the NET. To pay the SP 18% of the gross is the same as paying 36-40% of thenet. There is no real money to be madeby doing that. You would be taking 100%of the business risk and 90% of the malpractice risk and essentially make thesame money or less than you would as an employee in the SP's clinic. All of the risk and responsibility, verylittle upside potential, the SP makes a lot of money for doing very little workand you go from being an employee to an indentured servant for the bank, yourpatients and the SP....the worst of both worlds and the SP laughs all the wayto the bank. Just one PA's opinion - buta PA who has worked in the banking industry, owned a pretty big business in thepast and in a former life was a financial advisor.

I think the market determines the SP price in your area and for your needs. I will tell you what I ended up with and it was purely market driven . . . meaning that I probably could not have closed the deal for less (and I tried for about 5 years).

My SP only sees patients 2-4 times a month. I give him a flat rate of $1000/month for supervisory services. I also have benefits including malpractice (about $3500/year for him), CME (2000/year) and I pay his membership to headache societies (all those things benefit my company). I also give him 50% of collections of patients he sees. So, in summary, he will get about $30,000 year in pay and benefits.

Archived