EM Residency

Hi guys! I am a PA student on rotations and sch to graduate May 2015. I am very much interested in ER medicine and have been looking into EM residencies. I have read over the numerous residencies that are available and am wondering how many should I apply to in order to have a good shot of getting accepted? I live in the northeast and would like to stay close to my family. 

For those of you who are applying/have applied/ are in the residency...

1) How many applicants are/were there? 

2) When did you start applying?

3) How did you decide which residencies to apply to?

4) In addition to the program director, who did you approach for your LOR? I know that I'll ask my ER attending to write one but I also am thinking of asking the cardiac surgeon from my CT rotation. Is it poor form to ask a surgeon for ER residency letter?

Thank you for reading my post. Happy Holidays! :)

Hi guys! I am a PA student on rotations and sch to graduate May 2015. I am very much interested in ER medicine and have been looking into EM residencies. I have read over the numerous residencies that are available and am wondering how many should I apply to in order to have a good shot of getting accepted? I live in the northeast and would like to stay close to my family. 

For those of you who are applying/have applied/ are in the residency...

1) How many applicants are/were there? 

2) When did you start applying?

3) How did you decide which residencies to apply to?

4) In addition to the program director, who did you approach for your LOR? I know that I'll ask my ER attending to write one but I also am thinking of asking the cardiac surgeon from my CT rotation. Is it poor form to ask a surgeon for ER residency letter?

Thank you for reading my post. Happy Holidays! :)

1) Not sure exactly but I can say that EM residencies in particular are definitely becoming more popular.  I would guess somewhere between 15-20 interviewees for several of the programs I applied to.

2) Each program will have a specific timetable as to when to apply and when interviews are granted.  Some offer rolling admissions.  Your best bet is to touch base with each program director.  Applying while still in PA school is ok provided you have enough time to finish the PANCE and apply for hospital privileges prior to the residency start date.

3) Research the residency curriculum and determine if it fits with your goals.  You should be learning full-scope EM and the residency experience should reflect that through quality off service rotations, protected learning time (not moving the meat as they say), full integration with the MD residents in terms of procedures and didactics,etc.  Any residency experience that won't hold you to the same standards as your MD colleagues isn't worth your time.  Location is also a consideration.

4) References from those who can attest to your abilities in EM are obviously preferred.  I actually did not get a letter from my program director, and some programs don't necessarily require this.  If your CT attending is willing to give you a sterling LOR I say go for it, so long as the other two are EM related.

If you really want to do this, apply to them all. if possible.

Given the small #s, both the residencies and applicants accepted, give yourself as much an opportunity as possible.

I always look at family as you can move back after establishing your professional life.

Get your letters from the ED.

I would strive to get one from nursing staff stating he/she can work with you, you worked well with them and that you get 'it' in the ED.

I would also get one from an ED PA whom thinks you will make a fellow colleague.

A letter from an ED physician that you worked quite a bit with during your rotation also.

While the CT surgeon may write you something glowing, he/she is not in the ED. Not saying it wont help but I would strive for different sources if you are serious.

Good luck

G Brothers PA-C

If you really want to do this, apply to them all. if possible.

Given the small #s, both the residencies and applicants accepted, give yourself as much an opportunity as possible.

I always look at family as you can move back after establishing your professional life.

Get your letters from the ED.

I would strive to get one from nursing staff stating he/she can work with you, you worked well with them and that you get 'it' in the ED.

I would also get one from an ED PA whom thinks you will make a fellow colleague.

A letter from an ED physician that you worked quite a bit with during your rotation also.

While the CT surgeon may write you something glowing, he/she is not in the ED. Not saying it wont help but I would strive for different sources if you are serious.

Good luck

G Brothers PA-C

The only thing I would add is that the LORs may be the rate-limiting step in how many programs you can reasonably apply to.  Unlike Caspa, there is no standardized system in place to apply to multiple PA residencies.  The majority of residencies send out their own e-link LOR form via email after you provide your reference's contact information.  So, while I recommend applying to as many programs as possible to better your chances, most of your references are probably not going to be thrilled with filling out >20 separate LORs.  Just food for thought. 

As someone who graduated in June, it limited me as far as which residency programs I could realistically consider. There are a handful that start in the fall and late summer. Unfortunately, I think the majority start in July. For a May graduation date, you could probably make it work, but it would be a little tight. You have to pass the PANCE, get your license/DEA, and complete all your hospital credentialing. It always takes longer than you think it will.

Archived